ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: LS608 power requirments for dj work  (Read 15624 times)

Justin Stern

Re: LS608 power requirments for dj work
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 10:36:40 PM »

Might be a misprint for the LS808.

500-800 watts as discussed above into these for DJing is what you need!

Justin Stern
Bigger does not mean better!

Rik Turner

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 12:18:43 AM »

they are quite efficient , I've used them with alot of different amps

Yorkville 6040
QSC RMX 2450
Peavey CS3000
Peavey PV1200
Crest CA9
Crest CA12
yamaha 4200 ( i forget possibly 4500 the 2 ru one)

the yorkville got the job done but the 2000 watt/side was dwarfed by the massive reserves and greater controll of the CA12 and about evenly matched by the CA9 and CS3000, THe QSC was decent but it didn't have the oomph of the CA9, The PV1200 was for 1 night with just 1 pair and I was glad that was just a wedding gig, not something needing a lot below 60 hz.The Yamaha was a slight improvement on the peavey but its still weak, watch out for poor driver controll at high volume.

In all honesty if you know someone with used CA series power grab it you will not regret (well unless some crown Macrotech series falls in your lap) New the PV3000 is a decent price point but buy a good J rack for them as they are a 1 board design, as opposed to the crest crown and most QSC having the transistor rails removable seperetly, (its a cost thing you get what you pay for)

Also get some good signal processing DBX drive rackPA is a popular one, there others but thats what I own and am familiar with and honestly if you prices an EQ crossover and compressor its economical plus it remembers your rooms.

Jeff Permanian

• http://www.JTRspeakers.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »

Justin Stern wrote on Mon, 19 January 2009 21:40

The Growler will beat it at 40hertz, but as soon as 43, 44 come to playm GAME OVER all the way up.

Let's put them side by side.  Cool

Rik Turner

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 07:22:24 PM »

If I remember correctly the 608 and 808 both used RCF's (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will , the 808 used a L18S800 driver with the vent gap cooling and the 608 was .. ohh i should remember as I just had the driver on my bench before the holidays an L18P300? I don't think its a l18p540n but no matter)

basically the 608 is a compact slant loaded sub, its great for recorded music mobile PA, the only reason I'm not still using them is because I wore them out and got a steal of a deal on some powered mackies, Honestly I probably should have just reconed the woofers and patched up the carpet on the boxes but the convenience of the powered boxes got me plus I had these sold the week the mackies arrived made my mind up for me.

Honestly Marc If your going to be doing School dance gigs small bands etc you made a good choice on these as far as portability and sound output per cubic foot The powered elite 18" LS800P is a killer but I bet you'll have the four of these and an Amp up and running for not much more than the price of 1 LS800P plus 1 guy can move the 608 up a flight of stairs 85 lb vs 140 (mackie SWA1801 is 130 lb) If your employing people you have to count on 2 ppl to be moving them , if they get hurt trying to be a hero you can be in for big trouble, but there other threads dealing with things like that.

I'm sure other people here are used to larger and Better gear but on a budget starting out I'm sure if you watch the clip lights and don't try and book into too large of venues they should be moneymakers. I used 4 of them  with 8 SX200 as a small band rig for years ( 4 were fronts 4 were wedges) Rig averaged 2.15 gigs a week for 4 years, I can't say that for alot of gear I've had over the years. And the cover bands seemed to like it too

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 07:29:16 PM »

Rik,
They have B&C drivers in them. All of the Yorkville Elite stuff uses B&C drivers. The Unity line uses Eminence drivers.

I think you downgraded going to SWA1801's. They have a bad case of port fart at higher SPL's, and really don't have a ton of get up and go.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Rik Turner

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 11:30:54 PM »

Yes your probably correct on the B&C The ones I had apart were from the university pub and I think they've been frankenstiened

I think it was a lateral move> I fell into them through a friend of a friend, the deal came up and I couldn't pass, 4 mackie stacks SWA1801's under SA1232's 9 months old with 1 summer of indoor use on them Extremely nice price.

basically it works, my market for them is res/pubs doing covers for cougars on fri or sat night I can roll in 2 stacks a board effects/ snake/ box 4 powered wedges(more mackies, gross I know but the price was right) and have that lit up and ready to go in a half hour of busywork, It all looks somewhat professional, as compared to the other bands running rag tag peavey yamaha EV boves making big piles of gak in front of the stage and burning up 2 or 3 4-6 up tables for the venue owner. Its the plug and play that has me hooked. Its not big money but its steady.

Would I have bought the rig retail? No probably not, I'd likely be still running the yorkville passive bottoms and probably yorkville powered tops, Nx750P most likely or possibly JBL but again being in Canada the yorkies are a better price point. The mackies are what they are , get the job done and have a decently clean look about them, nothing spectacular but kept within their limitations I can see getting 3-5 years out of them and probably recouping 80% of what I have invested in them .My rave nights are over so I doubt running a bit of kick keys and bass in 3000 sq ft 350 capacity pubs will do them in. Theres actually one band running a single 1501 and a pair of SRM450's on sticks every now and again in the same venues but theyre running the stage wayyy hotter (half stacks vs 112 combos) and basically the sub is directly connected to the kick mic (bass player has 2 4x10's compared to 210 sidewashed at drummer

so many ways to skin a cat...

Justin Stern

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 05:24:18 AM »

So doing some research and in fact the old elite series has the RCF (better) woofer which is the ES608.  Funny how they switched drivers. Confused

Oh and Evan, haven't you compared the two side by side saying that the growler cannot keep up??  

I would love for more people to put them side by side!

The Growler by specs should have a hard time keeping up with a LS608/ES608

Paul Precht

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 12:40:06 PM »

My ES 608s have the same B+C drivers as my LS 608s. They must have changed somewhere during the ES period,  Paul.

Rik Turner

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »

http://www.traynoramps.com/downloads/servman/partscat.pdf

thats the yorkville parts / warranty book

page 72, I was mistaken its the LS800P that had a driver change in 05, and the tx9 changed in 01

originally the ES608 was a L18p540 RCF no switch date given

Justin Stern

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 12:30:04 AM »

I wonder why they switched from the RCF.  

The charts I was referring to earlier when compared a Growler and the LS608 was with the RCF driver.

Apparently, it was a better driver as it did not fall off so steep from 50hertz.

The output at 45 hz is 99 db 1w/1m and it is 102db at 50 hz. It does drop to 91 db at 40 hz. The Growler is 94 db at 40 hz.
BUT, by the time you get to 43ish hz, the growler cannot keep up.

92@40
102@50
103@60,70,80,90
102@100,110.120

This is close and will not reveal a peak or valley in the response.

The Growler is....

94@40
99@50
100@60,70,80
99.5@90
99@100

Does anyone have a chart for the LS608 with the B&C driver??

I want to see the difference!!!

Thanks
Justin Stern
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.