ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: louder and lower  (Read 12463 times)

leon douven

• http://www.drsjaak.nl
Re: louder and lower-BLEND!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 07:55:34 PM »

Ivan,

I started this thread with a clear polite question.

Than you start assuming I don't Blend, don't appreciate sound quality, tell me to do whatever, my sound sucks, don't use the potential, our vocalist just shouts, I make people suffering,
and get no symphaty because I use a LAB for my bass...

There are people however who think differently...index.php/fa/20188/0/

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 08:23:45 PM »

Not to be picky, but when you started the thread, you did not say specifically why you wanted the particular cabinet.  It was not untill later on that it became clear to me-and others.

I did not say your singer jsut screams-I ASKED if he just screamed, because you said you did not use a PA in small rooms.  So I had no idea how he was heard. Rolling Eyes

I never said your sound sucked.  I said that if you intended on running as loud as you say you want, the overall sound of the band would suffer-badly.  A extra loud player is going to hurt the sound PERIOD, there is no debate about that-unless you just want loud and do not care about hearing different instruments or a balanced sound.

A really loud bass player is one of the soundmans worse nightmares.  If you insist on being that person, all the soundmen will say is "whatever-not my problem-when mixing you" and just wait for the next band.

How can you possilby "blend" being that loud?  Blending means a good equal level WITHOUT the use a PA system.  I just don't see how your drummer could possibly get his kick to keep up with the kind of level you are talking about.

Great-a photo of a festival-nice. Rolling Eyes

I just call it like I see it-sorry.

Maybe you could post some links to people who say they like a really loud bass player on stage-or even think it is a good idea.  Other than a couple of drunks and deaf audience members.  Like maybe just one professional in our industry.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Levi Horton III

• http://www.lh3audio.com
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »

Hey Ivan, I remember when I first told you about the LAB. I never thought you would get so involved. I cant even count the number of shows and installs we had done together. so as an pro audio Person I hope I never have to mix the band that this player is with for any size show indoors or out.

NOT A NUWBIE why does this show on my post I don't post often but have been hear since the beginning? I was FOHDUDE many years ago

A system Ivan and I built Years ago where does time go?index.php/fa/20195/0/index.php/fa/20195/0/
Levi Horton III
F.O.H. System tech and monitors

Rick Powell

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 12:35:37 AM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sun, 11 January 2009 17:48

In the old days, things were done differently.  Today we have much better technology-understanding etc.  That all results in better sound.

But just like the old days, if somebody is way to loud on stage, it makes for a bad sound overall.

But if volume/SPL is all you are about, then do "whatever".  

While science can really help out in that regard, just pileing it up and turning it up is "more fun". Laughing

Of course, I have no idea how many of Kenny's FH cabs, or Rick D's or Danny Johnson's 4 Marshall stacks were actually in use  Laughing Lots of eye candy on stage, maybe?

RP
Rick Powell
StudioLive 16:4:2
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Bag End TA15 Floor Monitors
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."

leon douven

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 03:17:42 AM »

Ivan,

indeed you say nothing... you assume... and keep on doing that...
i knew you would assume about the festival... as if it were a random picture... I will post you a picture (as soon as I get home)... of me on that same stage... same festival... 35.000 people... to prove how wrong assumptions can be Ivan... I will make that picture my last reply... no matter what assumptions you will post about it... unless you really insist on more... pictures... more stages... smaller and bigger... try me...

Ivan... this could have been a nice thread... if you only tried to read... and not make wild assumptions... read my replies back... than you find you're replies are full of rude assumptions...  

thats not how i see it... that is how it is...

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 09:14:47 AM »

Leon,

i really share your enthusiasm here, but...

Arguing with Ivan and the rest of the members of the forum will not help you.

You might have a tons of arguments but at the end of the story you are still wrong.

If you want to achieve a good and balanced sound of your band you must learn the basic things first.

The audience has to listen your music from the PA. Not from your amp.
Having the stage volume level lower will keep the overall sound much better.

I also wander how can a singer or the drummer keep up with your rig.

Remember that how the band sounds is the most important thing. Not how the bass player sounds.

One more thing. Actually a question. How are you delaying your 8x10 rig to be time aligned with the Lab Sub?

Why do you need a 20Hz response? Your bass guitar just don't go that low. And a single Lab Sub also don't go lower than 35Hz.

Stuart Pendleton

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 10:44:15 AM »

Remember the Acoustic cabs? Oh yea I do.  In the mid to late '70s I had a bass player on a quest to do what this poster is trying to do.  Of course good PA's were rare then so things were a little different.

He used a Ric 4001 and wanted a nice little stereo rig for the gigs we did.  He worked on it a while and never showed it to us until he showed up at a gig with it.

Ric 4001
Alembic stereo preamp
White Instruments stereo EQ (with a three way transformer setup out of it)
BGW 750 powered two Acoustic 360 FH cabs
BGW 500 powered a pair of BOSE 801's (that he actually recovered with laminate so they were basically a road case with speakers mounted inside)
BGW 500 powering a pair of Altec 511B's
Mutron III

We were a bar band doing military clubs, but some were so big that when a carrier came into port, the entire crew could come out and party.  The local base has 11 carriers stationed there so the clubs CAN be big.  We also did college gym parties.  The rig was still overkill.  I had an Orange 120 full stack and the other guitar player had a 100 watt Marshall full stack, and the bass could kill us both. The drummer didn't stand a chance most nights........
I am the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!

This should have been my company's slogan:
"More bars in more places."  AT&T

leon douven

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 01:34:18 PM »

Ivan & Marjan,

please read the first post of this thread, I asked just 1 clear polite question... the rest is triggered by Ivan's imagination... as already mentioned before... this is my last response...

index.php/fa/20200/0/

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 02:29:42 PM »

Ok then, i think you will have to build a very large and inefficient sealed box with some very exotic (read expensive) driver and then use some processing to get it down to 20Hz.

All questions by me and Ivan was just to get a better idea of what will that box be used for.

Something like a home cinema box on steroids.

Ivan Beaver

Re: louder and lower-BLEND! Good luck
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »

Good luck in your quest to become the worlds most obnoxious bass player Laughing

Your requests just make no sense in the REAL world.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.