ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: louder and lower  (Read 12511 times)

leon douven

• http://www.drsjaak.nl
louder and lower
« on: January 10, 2009, 07:12:53 AM »

hello,

Could anybody tell me if there is a sub that goes louder and lower than a labsub? It has to have approx the same frontal size. compare 1 against 1.    20 to 80hz

I had the hope that acoupowers Genesis device (the half version) could go at least equally loud but would go deeper.

Since acoupowers seems out of business I would like to know if there is something else, D.I.Y. or off factory.

I don't care about efficiency... just more db's and a response that goes significantly lower at approx the same frontal area.

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
Re: louder and lower
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »

Efficiency is something that is ultimately very important.

I beleive the Servo Drive Bass Tech 7 (designed by the same person)  Goes a bit lower flatter, than the Lab Sub.  Not currently in production as far as I know.

If efficiency isn't a huge concern, than perhaps what you want is the TH-50 from Danley Sound Labs??

Or a Gang of DTS-20s???

Order a Matterhorn?

You won't find anything smaller than the LAB or the BT7 that goes Louder Lower as far as I understand things.  I think that Tom Danley is the only designer out there that makes subs that go low and loud.  I don't even think the Adamson dual 21" subs go as low as loudly, and their freakin huge.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »

leon douven wrote on Sat, 10 January 2009 07:12

hello,

Could anybody tell me if there is a sub that goes louder and lower than a labsub? It has to have approx the same frontal size. compare 1 against 1.    20 to 80hz

I had the hope that acoupowers Genesis device (the half version) could go at least equally loud but would go deeper.

Since acoupowers seems out of business I would like to know if there is something else, D.I.Y. or off factory.

I don't care about efficiency... just more db's and a response that goes significantly lower at approx the same frontal area.

Just out of curiosity, what is so important about the frontal area of the cabinet and why a one to one comparison?

The Genesis device you are talking about has a larger/different frontal area than you are talking about-so I assume that is for a different project.

To most people it is about the total overall size (cubic footage) that is taken up in their truck that makes a difference in choices to them.

In other words-how much bass/subbage can they get out of certain amount of truck space.

But maybe you are looking at putting these in an existing space-so the difference does matter.  Do you have a particular depth limit associated with this same frontal area?
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

leon douven

• http://www.drsjaak.nl
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 05:03:14 PM »

hello,
efficiancy is not that importand in my case.
I have a spare I-tech 8000 to drive it.
just want the baddest sub next to my 2 ampegs 810E
That Matterhorn seems a tad to big... performance
though would probably be sufficient...

I started with CerwinVega L36PE than jumped to a
JBL2x18 (don't remember the exact type) also had
a electrovoice MT4 and the last is the LAB (is also
the best so far)

Tom Danley indeed is one of verry few designers with
the sub passion... hope he will push the boudaries once
more like he did approx 15 years ago!! with the BT7...

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »

He already did.

He made TH115 that offers very similar performance as the LAB Sub and is quite smaller.

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »

You do realize you need to have 6 LABS to really get the low frequency reproduction they were designed to output?

There isn't much out there that gets that loud and low.

Pat Cognitore

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 09:20:32 AM »

leon douven wrote on Sat, 10 January 2009 07:12

Have you considered the TH-215?  A single unit should get lower than a single LAB, just not as loud.  But a stack of 2 may be as loud as one LAB and have a similar footprint.  Not a 1:1 comparison, but it seems like you've got the spare power to drive them and, and if you're seeking ultimate bass (damn the costs) then it could be a good option.

Am I reading this right, this is for a bass guitar rig?  Wow.

leon douven wrote on Sat, 10 January 2009 17:03

hello,

I started with CerwinVega L36PE than jumped to a
JBL2x18 (don't remember the exact type) also had
a electrovoice MT4 and the last is the LAB (is also
the best so far)

Tom Danley indeed is one of verry few designers with
the sub passion... hope he will push the boudaries once
more like he did approx 15 years ago!! with the BT7...

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 09:39:48 AM »

Pat Cognitore wrote on Sun, 11 January 2009 09:20

Am I reading this right, this is for a bass guitar rig?  Wow.

leon douven wrote on Sat, 10 January 2009 17:03

hello,

I was wondering the same thing.  If that is the case, then the OP is not interested in any sort of audio quality that his band would have.  Because that would totally destroy all the rest of the bands sound.  It would be "all about HIM"-the rest of the band member be damned Laughing

As I have asked before-EXACTLY what is the intended usage.  THAT would help determine what would be the best product.

Loud for loud is not an intended usage-in my book anyway.  You CANNOT ignore all the other factors invovled.

Unless of course it is all a pipe dream and is something that never will become a reality in his world.

But I could be wrong.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Pat Cognitore

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 01:18:48 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sun, 11 January 2009 09:39

I was wondering the same thing.  If that is the case, then the OP is not interested in any sort of audio quality that his band would have.  Because that would totally destroy all the rest of the bands sound.  It would be "all about HIM"-the rest of the band member be damned Laughing

I mostly agree.  Unless he is a solo artist who is concerned about achieving a specific sound and not about overpowering a band.

Using PA cabs/subs as a bass rig isn't unprecedented, but I would think that it really only works well in a large concert setting.  An old buddy of mine used a large (think EAW BH-800  Shocked ) , custom-made bass horn in his bass rig for his outside/festival shows with a country band.  Yee-haw.

Stefan Lessard of the Dave Matthews Band used a Meyer rig on stage for a while: a pair of MSL2's over 650R's, I think.  He's since moved to Ampeg 8x10's.

As both a bassist and sound guy I'd prefer to get a good, moderate-volume stage sound and let the house system make it loud.  Adequate house subs are necessary, of course.  But I don't mind sharing the sub-love with the drums and keyboards.   Very Happy  

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 02:20:06 PM »

It is one thing to have a bass rig that CAN get stupid loud.  

It is quite another to actually USE it to its potential. Shocked

Since the OP seems to be very interested in max SPL, I fear the latter is the reason for the post.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.