ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Your top three MUST HAVES for any system  (Read 8645 times)

Ivan Beaver

Re: Your top three MUST HAVES for any system
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 07:39:50 PM »

There's a space over there where it sounds not too clear, we need more speakers."
All to often that is the response of people.  That is often the worst thing you can do.  The problem is that adding a speaker to cover those bad spots will make other spots worse.  The general problem is that if people can hook up a stereo they think they know all about audio.

Ivan Beaver
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 07:48:53 PM »

If I really must narrow it down, this would be it.  

1: A well designed speaker system that does not interact with itself and provides good even coverage to all seats.

2: A DSP with enough outputs to properly control the system.

3: Enough amplifier power to provide a good clean sound.

4: Damn-here comes that human factor again-a person with enough knowledge to properly setup the system-That is where the rubber meets the road-so to speak.

Given the above almost any other equipment will be fine.  If you don't have to "fight" the sound system, you can do without all the "toys".  The toys are like having sugar after bad tasting medicine-it simply helps to cover up the taste.

Oh- good musicians will also help!

Ivan Beaver
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

gainreduction

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 09:50:37 PM »

I'm with all the other guys when it comes to properly designed systems, appropriate acoustic spaces for the particular worship style and experienced (and nice!) sound people.

But I'll answer Mark's question in the manner it was asked just for the love of gear that we all know we have.

1.)  Earset or headworn-style mic (such as the E6) for the Pastor or talking head.  Lavalier mics are the bane of my audio existence.  We all know the proverbial "cave" sound and the 15db jump in volume when they look down to read the Word.  ugh.

2.)  A quality DI box for electronic instruments such as a Countryman (no I don't work for them) Type 85.  Sure, the (g)IMP2's work just fine, but plug even a less than ideal bass guitar into the Countryman, and I'll at least have something more than cardboard-y ca-ca to work with.

3.)  A dbx 160A compressor.  Just patch it in to whatever you need to make sound better.  I call them my 'more better' boxes because  everything you send into them just comes out 'more better'.

(properly powered and crossed-over subs and a box full of 58's and 57's take the honorable mention category)

Cheers!

Dan Brown

• http://www.myspace.com/thesuperspike
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 10:03:06 PM »

Just make sure you remember that Countryman Type85 DI is
"Pin 3 Hot"

Dan (I have 20 Countryman's I need to rewire) Brown
Dan Brown
REACH Communications

Dave Nicholas

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2005, 11:48:44 AM »

Well this is an easy one.

1) a good operator
2) a decent mixing console as this is the heart of the system(personally I am a midas guy but other desks would do, but don't ever give me a mackie EWWWWW)
3) I find a very important piece of equipment that people leave out is the power conditioning and sequence startup for those installed rigs.

Every system has speakers, amps and a mixing desk but those are all personal choices and budget dependant.  A proper conditioning and startup sequencer is a very important part of any system.  I have gone into churches and have seen power coming from everywhere to power the parts of the rig.  Remember people, AC is either your best friend or your worst. the audio needs to be feed from the same leg of AC or there is hummmmmm and pops. I know of two churches that blew their systems due to brownouts and surges.  In our church we use 2 ASD120's by furman(for all amps for FOH and monitors) and PS-PRO's Series II on all racks and equipment(we have 10 of these.  Controling all of these are two powerlinks.  Never ever had a problem with AC before.  Once we had the system shut down and had to do a reset.  All the units showed extreme voltage shutdown.  We didn't loose a single component in the rig.  The same couldn't be said for some of the computers in the building.

just my 2 cents

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2005, 12:22:53 PM »

midasguy wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 11:48

2) a decent mixing console as this is the heart of the system(personally I am a midas guy but other desks would do, but don't ever give me a mackie EWWWWW)

While I like a nice mixing console as much as the next guy, realize that one can get good results on even a Mackie. I would also much rather have a Mackie than a behringer.

Karl "Might want to think about what you say" P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Phil Ouellette

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2005, 07:59:27 PM »

Karl P wrote on Sun, 27 March 2005 12:22

midasguy wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 11:48

While I like a nice mixing console as much as the next guy, realize that one can get good results on even a Mackie. I would also much rather have a Mackie than a behringer.

Karl "Might want to think about what you say" P

And I would rather have a Behringer driving a high quality speaker system that was designed for the room, than a Midas driving a pair of speakers on sticks.

Phil

Dallas

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2005, 08:39:29 PM »

Whats wrong with a behringer?
Dallas

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2005, 09:12:15 PM »

Behringer mixer boards? I have had three outa four crap out on me in the middle of something important. Thats what I call a problem...

There ultra drive pro however, I do use when nothing else can be aforded, and I have had pretty good sucess with it.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2005, 09:12:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.