ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT: historyofconcertsound.com  (Read 31900 times)

Doug Fowler

ANNOUNCEMENT: historyofconcertsound.com
« on: January 05, 2009, 11:18:16 AM »

Tom Young wrote in another thread:

Quote:

So far there is no definitive "history of live performance sound" (book, website, whatever) and clearly this needs to be remedied.

I have registered historyofconcertsound.com (and .org, .net, etc) and have chosen to undertake this project.

There is nothing there yet, merely a parked domain.  Over the next few weeks I will get a skeleton web site up and begin a 'call for papers', or photos, or whatever anyone can contribute in an attempt to document this.

Yes, Donnie is sorely missed and would be on this like a junkyard dog IMO.

So, there it is.  I will be soliciting companies, manufacturers, and individuals in order to get this done.  I don't expect it to mature immediately so don't hold your breath.  Hopefully, some manufacturer will take it over at some point with a permanent place to live.  I have the domain(s) currently registered for five years.
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

John Roberts {JR}

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: historyofconcertsound.com
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »

I don't know if you want to cut this off at only musical performance, but large scale speech sound reinforcement goes back much earlier for large public events, etc.

My father worked in the early sound-for-film industry and I have a old book from his papers that was published to celebrate the 50th anniversary of moving pictures and 20th anniversary of pictures with sound.  This book was printed 2 years before I was born, so it's been a while. This book dates sound reinforcement in theaters back to the late 1920's.

In case folks don't know, the movie industry and need to outfit theaters with sound playback equipment was the engine that powered the modern sound reinforcement industry. Movie theaters needed relatively wide bandwidth and higher SPL sound reproduction that speech reinforcement.  Surely folks recall the  "Voice of the theater" loudspeaker design popular a few decades ago for early R&R SR.

Large arena musical sound reinforcement is a more recent phenomenon, but old enough that some of those pioneers are dying off, so timely now to start accumulating first person accounts whenever possible.

I recall my disappointment when the magazine editor I was lobbying to interview the older Rudy Bozak dragged his feet and Rudy died without a documented first person account. RIP.  In hindsight I should have interviewed him myself.

If you are friendly with any one connected with the early days, consider collecting some of their personal stories. It could be as simple as carrying a voice recorder to dinner the next time you see them.  

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Bob Lee (QSC)

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 02:27:23 PM »

Excellent, Doug! I'll try to get in touch with Ted Leamy, Ken Lopez, Jim Gamble, and others for material.
Bob Lee
Applications Engineer, Tech Services Group QSC Audio
Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
www.linkedin.com/in/qscbob

"If it sounds good, it is good."
 -Duke Ellington

Doug Fowler

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 03:23:33 PM »

Thanks, Bob.  We will need all the cooperation we can muster.

I hope to be able to archive photos and other material, with credits, rather than put up a 'linkopolis' (thanks RA folks :-)

J.R. - that's a good point about speech reinforcement.  I will take anything relevant that comes my way.

Tom Young

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 05:02:09 PM »

Great, Doug !

Let me know if I can help out.

We need this.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:29:32 PM »

Doug,

Do you think that you could maintain a less-in-depth Wikipedia entry, too? There could be a link to your site in the supporting material, but that's the first place I always look when I want information.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Chimene Stewart

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »

Hi,

I'm the PR Manager at Meyer Sound and would be happy to help you as well with this project in any way I can.  Please let me know what you're looking for or need and I'll do all I can to help.

Thanks,

Chimene Stewart
PR Manager, Meyer Sound
chimene@meyersound.com

Larry Robbins

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 04:00:19 PM »

The Second from the bottom pic is definitely Hanley gear and the guy on the right without shirt is Sam Baroda.  The Stadium Bleachers and the big front loaded bass cab and HF horn probably make it another gig.  I remember doing a Yankee stadium gig with Hanley using similar speakers in the mid 60's.
Larry Robbins
SV / Babylon
In S. Florida,Living Large.

Doug Fowler

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 11:11:31 AM »

Larry - Thanks for the info, and thanks for the PM.

Everyone: let's hold whatever info we have, or have access to, until I can get it up and running.

I am open to suggestions re: format for documenting this thing.

A Wiki might be very useful.

Ideas?  I think there should be a timeline, at the very least.

Doug Fowler

dot ORG
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 01:08:07 PM »

I will make this a dot org site.  Dot com and dot net will redirect to dot org at some point.

fwiw (not much)

historyofconcertsound.org is the domain....
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.