ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Outside Gig 800 kids  (Read 15109 times)

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
Re: Outside Gig 800 kids
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »

...I know my subs cannot handle that amount but what is less worst?

2 Danley TH-118 or
8 JBL JRX118p

Neither of them will handle it properly or should I mix both?

I also have 2 TH-minis

Thanks

Wait... I just thought of something... what are you doing with ((( 8 ))) JRX subs ?!?!?  You didn't realize they were bad after purchasing the 1st one?  :o  LoL.
Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 10:17:28 PM »

Wait... I just thought of something... what are you doing with ((( 8 ))) JRX subs ?!?!?  You didn't realize they were bad after purchasing the 1st one?  :o  LoL.

Luckily they are not mine. The Dj owns them. We are working together on some of his gigs
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:25:40 PM by Mac Kerr »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 07:23:55 AM »

Bring all the subs, stacking them for the look and simply use only the TH-118's. Mixing sub boxes would not be wise.
Not a bad idea-except he REALLY REALLY needs to short out the speaker input jacks of any cabinets that are not being used.

The unused cabinets could actually REDUCE the level of the working cabinets at certain freq.
If say the 2 TH-118's were clustered and he had the unplugged JRX facade around the Danleys... would the TH-118's still excite the JRX subs thus causing phase issues or reduction of frequencies on the TH-118's?  Would placing the JRX facade a certain distance away prevent this "reduction"?  How about foregoing the JRX's and bringing the TH-Minis instead.  Still a different speaker but possibly the lesser of evils.
Think of an unplugged bass cabinet as a bass "trap".  Tuned to a particular freq.  Generally it is best not to have any unused cabinets around.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 07:56:14 AM »

Neither of your two options will provide adequate amounts of low end for that many people outdoors for bass-heavy genres. IMO you have 2 options:

a) stack the Danleys on one side of the stage and the JBL's on the other. Looks ugly doesn't it? But it will work.
The theoretical peak output from the eight JRX boxes on one side would be less than the theoretical peak output of a single TH-118 on a channel of a MA-9000i, so in the scenario suggested you would seem to have to reduce the TH-118 levels to match the JRX levels, in fact reducing the level to below the potential level of a single TH-118.  That does not seem to make much sense unless you are concerned simply about the perception of having only one sub per side.

Another consideration may be that assuming the two EV ZX5 boxes per side are being used for greater coverage, then with two boxes on each channel of a CP4000S that looks to be around 126dB peak at 1m on axis for the mains.  Do you need that much more sub output?

b) do a 3 corner arrangement with the Danleys centered in front of the stage, and two equal stacks of the JBL's on each side on the BACK side of the dance floor. I have used this method a number of times with great success.
This brings up a good point as it is an outdoor event so there may not be a defined dance floor or listener area.

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 10:28:09 AM »

Not a bad idea-except he REALLY REALLY needs to short out the speaker input jacks of any cabinets that are not being used.

The unused cabinets could actually REDUCE the level of the working cabinets at certain freq.

Ivan, It's always a learning experience when reading your posts and comments. I've been in the audio business for quite some time and thanks to this forum and pros like yourself I continue to glean valuable information and knowledge relating to the field of pro audio.

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »

Ivan, It's always a learning experience when reading your posts and comments. I've been in the audio business for quite some time and thanks to this forum and pros like yourself I continue to glean valuable information and knowledge relating to the field of pro audio.
+1
Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Pascal.Pincosy

• SR Forums
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 11:45:33 AM »

The theoretical peak output from the eight JRX boxes on one side would be less than the theoretical peak output of a single TH-118 on a channel of a MA-9000i, so in the scenario suggested you would seem to have to reduce the TH-118 levels to match the JRX levels, in fact reducing the level to below the potential level of a single TH-118.  That does not seem to make much sense unless you are concerned simply about the perception of having only one sub per side.
If I'm put in the tough spot of doing a show bigger than the gear I have available is capable of, I'm not going to be worried about niceties like even output across the audience area or fidelity. I'm going to array my system in a manner that gives me the most output possible. So there is more bass on one side than the other? At least there will be enough bass overall... The lack of output from the tops is not going to be as easy of a fix.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 07:45:13 AM »

If I'm put in the tough spot of doing a show bigger than the gear I have available is capable of, I'm not going to be worried about niceties like even output across the audience area or fidelity. I'm going to array my system in a manner that gives me the most output possible. So there is more bass on one side than the other? At least there will be enough bass overall... The lack of output from the tops is not going to be as easy of a fix.
I guess I just don't see dragging out eight powered subs and having to address processing for two quite different mains and sub combinations for little seeming benefit.  I would tend to keep it simple and just center cluster the two TH-118s.  Less gear, less setup and probably an equal, if not better, result.

Another factor in this could be power, running both the TH-118s on the MA-9000i and the eight powered JBL JRX subs seems almost certain to require more power and more power distribution.  It might be worth verifying what is even viable with the power available.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:49:38 AM by Brad Weber »

Pascal.Pincosy

• SR Forums
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »

I guess I just don't see dragging out eight powered subs and having to address processing for two quite different mains and sub combinations for little seeming benefit.  I would tend to keep it simple and just center cluster the two TH-118s.  Less gear, less setup and probably an equal, if not better, result.
I'd be willing to bet a TH-118 that you will get more overall output from the 3-corner setup I described then you would from just a pair of TH-118's. And processing will not be as difficult as you make it out to be.

Josh Billings

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 09:27:27 PM »

If you're not interested in renting a proper amount of subs or subbing it out to somebody who can handle the gig (and taking a little off the top for setting it up) THEN what i would do is...

Set up the TH-118s in the middle and then setup 2 stacks of 4 of the JBLs on each side. Playing with the setup in the past has worked well for me with horn subs and dual 18s.

I think is spaced them roughly 6-8 feet apart

-Josh Billings

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 09:27:27 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.