ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Measurement Microphones  (Read 103545 times)

Bob McCarthy

Re: Measurement Microphones
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2008, 04:26:44 PM »

I own 8 Earthwoks M30s. They are sufficient for my needs, although I probably would have bought DPA 4090 series mics had they been on the market at the time I bought mine. They are now 5 years old. 2 of them will go back for rework shortly. They drift in level over time and as a result I calibrate them at every job. I never do any work with a single mic so for me relative level and freq response are more critical parameters than absolute freq response.

As for the earlier question re the B&K calibrator - it SHOULD work with the M30 adaptor. Calibrators are made to a standard and different mics have a specific adaptor mechanism to fit that.

Finally, at a recent SIM school in Germany a guy pulled out his Beringer mic and we compared it to the DPA 4007 using a dual mic transfer function. Everyone was prepared for a big laugh but the 25 cent mic did very well (this is the second time I have seen this so I was not too shocked.) So as much as I love to use Beringer as a punch line I will have to hold back some times and go with my old standby: Bose.

Helge A. Bentsen

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2008, 09:06:43 PM »

Slightly off topic:

Never tried to measure anything with a M30, but I've used it a couple of times on snare bottom, it's one of the best microphones I've used for that application  Smile  

Tom Young

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2008, 07:35:30 AM »

"So as much as I love to use Beringer as a punch line I will have to hold back some times and go with my old standby: Bose."

I actually tried their measurement mic. If you ignore the phase response that results from the 4 front-aimed capsules and the one rear-aimed capsule.... they are not that bad. But make sure you use their preamp or the frequency response will be restricted to 160Hz-7kHz.

Twisted Evil  
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

HarryBrillJr.

• http://www.rationalacoustics.com/forums/
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2008, 05:54:26 PM »

Tom Young wrote on Tue, 23 December 2008 06:35

"So as much as I love to use Beringer as a punch line I will have to hold back some times and go with my old standby: Bose."

I actually tried their measurement mic. If you ignore the phase response that results from the 4 front-aimed capsules and the one rear-aimed capsule.... they are not that bad. But make sure you use their preamp or the frequency response will be restricted to 160Hz-7kHz.

Twisted Evil  

It's a good thing I don't drink coffee!
Harry Brill Jr.
Tiger Audio, Inc.

http://www.tigeraudioinc.com/avatar.gif

HarryBrillJr.

• http://www.rationalacoustics.com/forums/
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »

Bob McCarthy wrote on Mon, 22 December 2008 15:26

I own 8 Earthwoks M30s. They are sufficient for my needs, although I probably would have bought DPA 4090 series mics had they been on the market at the time I bought mine. They are now 5 years old. 2 of them will go back for rework shortly. They drift in level over time and as a result I calibrate them at every job. I never do any work with a single mic so for me relative level and freq response are more critical parameters than absolute freq response.

As for the earlier question re the B&K calibrator - it SHOULD work with the M30 adaptor. Calibrators are made to a standard and different mics have a specific adaptor mechanism to fit that.

Finally, at a recent SIM school in Germany a guy pulled out his Beringer mic and we compared it to the DPA 4007 using a dual mic transfer function. Everyone was prepared for a big laugh but the 25 cent mic did very well (this is the second time I have seen this so I was not too shocked.) So as much as I love to use Beringer as a punch line I will have to hold back some times and go with my old standby: Bose.

I have measured six of these against the seventh and they were all within half a dB.  They were purchased as a set of 8 for a SIM3 rig and Earthworks did a very nice job matching the frequency response.

http://a908.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/95/l_eb18244c0 a75a9834862127df64db503.jpg

I have found the Behringer mic to be acceptable for anyone using a single mic and doesn't mind the potential ridicule they might get (not from me).  I intend to get a matched set of 6 M30s, when the money is there.  I am also interested in the Beyer mic ($200).  The one I measured was perfectly matched to the M30s in the room, but I've heard they have other issues.  Any thoughts?
Harry Brill Jr.
Tiger Audio, Inc.

http://www.tigeraudioinc.com/avatar.gif

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: One Measurement Microphone
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2008, 06:06:21 PM »

I only use 1 mic, and I spend a lot of time moving it around the room. I am happy to report my mic is perfectly matched to itself!   Laughing

Mac

Klaus {nojunk} Zimmermann

• http://www.nojunk.de
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2008, 06:55:12 PM »

quick question:
any1 used a kt 6051 (from dn6k system)?  nny idea who's the original manufacturer?
tx

Josh Evans

• http://www.youtube.com/jevans111
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2008, 09:31:27 AM »

We could talk about this until the cows come home.

Currently I have two DPA 4090 and love them!!! Im also using two tm400 wireless units, and don't have to do the stupid ridiculous polarity flip like the M30. Im also using three small fold able stands. One I have had for a couple of years ago it was a custom job. Two of them are from Rational Acoustics, and I have another clamped to my table so that four mics.

Yes Harry the M30 has a new mic clip, but the DPA mic clip puts it to shame.  

I would buy a 4007 as long as its not my dime. Ray has some great mics, and should not be overlooked.

http://www.rationalacoustics.com/store/mic-stands-clamps

http://www.rationalacoustics.com/store/microphones
I have two of the mic cases as well.

In the picture I attached you can see the two mic stands in the case lid, and also a pouch holding the left over pieces from about 4 other measurement mics. Including an m30 that got ran over by a really big truck.... doh!

I guess measurement mics are allot like a contraceptive . They all do the same thing, and in a pinch anyone will do, but in the long run we all have our preference.

happy holidays from Dubai!

Josh
Joshua Evans

Outlinearrays.com
"Sound is what happens when air gets pushed"

Kent Clasen

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2008, 10:14:06 AM »

While I haven't compared mics myself, I use the Audix TR40 and have a handful of the Superlux for multi mic measurement, where I am mostly looking at relative changes in different areas.

An interesting note, I don't know if it was already discussed, I didn't read every post. Pat Brown compared measurement mics in his VOL36 Aug 08 newsletter.  He found the angle of incidence to have a major impact on the mics.  He lists several mics and the recommended angle.

He found a 10dB frequency response deviation using the same angle on every mic, but when using the proper incidence angle, only 2dB diff!

Some angles where 0, 45, and 90 degrees depending on which microphone you are using. DPA, Earthworks, Soundfirst were some he tested.
Kent Clasen
MSM Systems
Design & Installation

Bob McCarthy

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2008, 11:04:25 AM »

Josh Evans said ---
"I guess measurement mics are allot like a contraceptive . They all do the same thing, and in a pinch anyone will do, but in the long run we all have our preference."

Thanks Josh for for linking up two of my favorite subjects (acoustic measurement taking 2nd place here.)

Happy Holidaze to you

6o6

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2008, 11:04:25 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.