ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Measurement Microphones  (Read 103951 times)

Tom Young

Re: Measurement Microphones
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2009, 07:44:09 PM »

Ouch. Hope you heal OK.

You might be able to find a spec sheet for this mic archived at Peavy's website.

It has a diamond-sputtered diaphragm, if I recall correctly. This *may* make it superior to the run-of-the-mill plastic diaphragm capsules.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Charlie Jeal

• http://www.beyondthedarkside.com
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2009, 07:52:45 PM »

Thanks for the good wishes Tom,

Sounds as if it's probably worth using over the TR40 for the moment until I buy another M30 to replace the one that got destroyed by some idiot dropping my bag over a balcony rather than walking it down a few steps.

Charlie
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others !!

Art Welter

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2009, 08:13:31 PM »

Tom,

“It has a diamond-sputtered diaphragm”

Do you mean gold sputtered, or did Hartley come up with a more expensive process? ;^)

Art

Jens Brewer

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2009, 03:12:48 AM »

Arthur Skudra wrote on Sat, 03 January 2009 12:06

If we are willing to accept cheaper measurement microphones for live sound reinforcement optimization that may deviate in response above say 10 kHz as an acceptable alternative to the more expensive ones (that are ruler flat smooth up to 20, 30, or even 40 kHz), does measurement angle (of which deviates the most above 10 kHz) really matter that much?

While important, I don't think measurement angle is as important as a good measurement game plan well executed.  And don't forget that frequency measurement is only part of what we use measurement mics for in the field (delay setting, level setting, aiming and coverage).  That in mind, the low and mid level mics can be perfectly acceptable, and in some environments may be preferable.

Quote:

How often do you find yourself tweaking a sound reinforcement system above 10 kHz?

Sometimes a mild high shelf boost is appropriate, but that is just as much a matter of listening as it is measuring.  (Although it's nice when your measurements back up what you're hearing.)

-------------

Flipping the question:  How important is mic accuracy in the very lowest 2 octaves (20-80Hz) in relation to EQing subs?  How often are you guys making more than one frequency correction (if that) in the sub bandpass?  I find that with well behaved, properly crossed and aligned systems, level setting of the subs is usually all that's needed (and any extra 'flava', if desired, can be done by ear.)

Tom Young

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2009, 06:06:43 AM »

I was right about the diamond part but not the "sputtered" part and this may, or may not, apply to the "ERO-10" mic that Charlie has.

See:

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80302370.pdf

Again: I recall that Peavey had a measurement mic with this diaphragm material. But I have no idea what model it was.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
www.dbspl.com

Tom Young

« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2009, 06:53:17 AM »

Low frequency measurements are considered by both sound system folks and acousticians to be difficult and questionable unless you use a special device (mic). I *think* the questionable part has to do with level, not frequency accuracy.

I often find 1-2 substantial peaks within the passband of a subwoofer. Sometimes there are 3. I apply appropriate notch filters (usually from aprox 1/3 to 2/3 octave) *but* I also do not go for anywhere near flat, as these peaks may be room (modal) related and therefore they are: 1) not even across the space and 2) they require huge amounts of attenuation. Over-compensating robs the subwoofer of headroom, which they all need ample amounts of. So reducing the peaks a reasonable amount (6-10dB) smooths the subs out but does not go too far, I find.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
www.dbspl.com

Art Welter

« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2009, 12:52:10 PM »

Tom,

Well, a “diamond-coated” diaphragm is close enough to “diamond sputtered” in my book.

I had never heard of diamond-coated diaphragms before, do you know of companies other than Peavey using the process?

Ivan Beaver

Re: Measurement Microphones-multiple measurements
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2009, 01:23:14 PM »

A very interesting thing to do when considering sub "eq" is to take a measurement for a good number of places out in the room, in typical listening positions.

You will see all sorts of interesting responses "pop up".

I generally use multiple mics and average them together and "eq" that-as a STARTING point.

I then look at each mic individually and see if anything is really odd and then determine if that mic position is a valid one-in terms of the other positions.

Lets say all the mics show a little hump at 60 Hz.  Except 1 that has a HUGE notch at 60Hz.  The average may be zero, but is that really the case? Rolling Eyes

Sometimes you have to dig a bit deeper.

Making it "right" for one person is pretty easy,  But making it "right" for a thousand or so is often quite a different matter.

But then again-I am preaching to the choir here Laughing  Laughing .
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Tom Young

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2009, 01:38:45 PM »

No. And that's an interesting consideration.

First of all; I wonder what is the diaphragm substrate ? Is it plastic ? Is it (therefore) any less susceptible to environmental conditions than plain old plastic diaphragms ? Why did Peavey discontinue these ? Why did (apparently) no one else employ them in their microphones ?

(and while we're at it)

When Bruel & Kjaer, Neumann and others employ "sputtered gold" diaphragms, what is the substrate ?
Tom Young
Oxford CT
www.dbspl.com

Dave Barnett

« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2009, 06:25:10 PM »

Last night a customer asked me why I had a nose hair trimmer on a stand...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2009, 06:25:10 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.