ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Measurement Microphones  (Read 103530 times)

Christopher Wintz

Measurement Microphones
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:21:27 PM »

Hey Guys,

Kind of an open ended question but I was wondering what people are using for measurment microphones.  Obviously alot of people are using Earthworks M-series, I've seen a few other boutique ones out there.  What do you guys think?

-CW
-CW

Nicolas Lowman

Re: Measurement Microphones
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 11:45:20 PM »

If I am going into an install and tweak a system or create a preset on a dsp for a cabinet, I use the Earthworks M30. The majority of the time the Audix TR40 is sitting in my workbox. I have dropped the M30 before and had to ship it back to the factory for repair. I think it was like a couple hundred bucks to get it fixed. I haven't dropped the Audix yet, and if I do I can replace the whole thing for less than it cost me to fix the Earthworks. I remember hearing say Bob McCarthy he was using the M30 for alignment. I figure if that is good enough for him, it suits me fine. I don't see a B and K in my future that is for sure.

Nicolas

Ken Freeman

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:55:47 PM »

Ditto on the Earthworks M-30.  I have attached a windscreen to mine with velcro so that when I drop it, it bounces.  Still seems to work just fine.  We drop this into a one of the little Lexicon Lamda boxes as it powers from the USB.

Ken

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 12:06:27 AM »

Ken Freeman wrote on Tue, 16 December 2008 23:55

I have attached a windscreen to mine with velcro so that when I drop it, it bounces

wouldn't that change the frequency response of the mic? I'd hope you take it off before measuring anything
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design

Josh Evans

• http://www.youtube.com/jevans111
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:14:47 AM »

The only thing I dont like about the M30 is that one has to use a polarity flip when using a Lectrosonics wireless transmitter, and the stupid mic clip. Mic clip can be fixed with a zip tie. The Audix is a great mic, im also using allot of DPA 4090s, and 4007s.

I like the Beyerdynamic, but I havnt found an adaptor for pistonphones.

happy holidays.
Joshua Evans

Outlinearrays.com
"Sound is what happens when air gets pushed"

Tom Young

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 06:30:51 AM »

I started with Earthworks, then bought a B&K 4007 (used it for 3 years and then sold it for the same price), picked up a Superlux ECM99 then sold it, bought a cheaper TEF mic (same as Superlux) that I still use as back up and now have a Sound First SF101 with a titanium diaphragm as my primary. I have not dropped this but it appears to be very robust.

www.soundfirst.com

I also have a dual chamber machined metal cigar "canister" (tube) in a leather sleeve (and with threaded end caps) that just fits (diameter and length) standard measurement mic's. This has helped to keep the mic's I have owned in pristine condition.

You can search PSW and google as to the potential problem with plastic diaphragm mic's. Even though my TEF mic is still fine (I baby it), I feel I need to have a more stable/verifiable mic when I travel far to do sound system measurements and especially for "legal" work. Thus the SF101.

Since I also do SPL and noise measurements (legal work, where I could be challenged), I have a B&K 4231 calibrator. So one of the criteria for my mic's is that they are standard diameter at the tip (capsule) so I can calibrate them befor and at the end of each measurement session. Earthworks and others would require an adaptor.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 07:25:36 AM »

For critical things such as very low freq stuff (Below 30Hz) or loudspeaker parameter measuring I use the M30.  We have a matched pair, and the "other" of the pair sits in the office and never goes out-for use as a reference.

For field type work, such as system alignment I use my "measurement cart" which has 8 stands, 8 rolls of colored cable, Ac power etc that I just wheel in to the venue and spread the mics around.  I use 8 of the older Superlux mics and calibrate them before every use.  

The response of 8 is staying very well "matched" even after about the last 4 years of usage.  The levels are off a tad, but that is why I calibrate them to each other, to make sure the level I am seeing is realative to the others.  My purple mic has the lowest sensitivity, so everything gets padded to it.

I have heard that the new Superlux mics are not as good as the old ones, but cannot confirm nor deny that.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Tom Young

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 07:34:04 AM »

"I have heard that the new Superlux mics are not as good as the old ones, but cannot confirm nor deny that."

Same here. Ray Rayburn was selling these and he tests each batch as they came in. A year or two ago he he got in a batch and all were way off. So he no longer sells them.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
www.dbspl.com

Jamie Taylor

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 08:12:21 AM »

Hi Tom,

I've got a M30, which I bought about two years ago, and it came with a calibration adapter.  Would that work with your B&K calibrator?
Australian Event Productions

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

<a href="http://www.australianeventproductions.com" target="_blank">AEP.com</a>

Asian Representatives for <a href="http://www.adraudio.com" target="_blank"> ADRaudio Loudspeakers</a>

Tom Young

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 08:28:32 AM »

Sorry. I don't know.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
www.dbspl.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 08:28:32 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.