ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convoluted IEM idea  (Read 5561 times)

Taylor Phillips

Convoluted IEM idea
« on: February 28, 2011, 09:04:04 PM »

So, I've only got two wedges for 5 musicians on a 35' stage.  I'm wondering if I can connect one of the mic cables from the stage using an adapter to an output on the mixer to send another mix backwards out of one of the stage inputs Aux In on the electric drum kit.  Will it work?  Is there something else that needs to be done to make it work?  The Aux In is 1/4" line level in, so will a DI work in reverse? 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Convoluted IEM idea
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:07:20 PM »

So, I've only got two wedges for 5 musicians on a 35' stage.  I'm wondering if I can connect one of the mic cables from the stage using an adapter to an output on the mixer to send another mix backwards out of one of the stage inputs Aux In on the electric drum kit.  Will it work?  Is there something else that needs to be done to make it work?  The Aux In is 1/4" line level in, so will a DI work in reverse?

Is there a way for the E-drums to use the returned signal only for monitoring and keep it from being re-sent to the board????  If it's re-sent to the board you'll just get a feedback loop.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 09:25:32 PM »

Is there a way for the E-drums to use the returned signal only for monitoring and keep it from being re-sent to the board????  If it's re-sent to the board you'll just get a feedback loop.
The Aux In can be sent only to the phones output and not to the stereo outs if desired.  I've got multiple outputs on the module as well, and the Aux In can't be routed to the other ones.

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:42:39 PM »

What mixer do you have?
A simple Trs to Xlr female cable at the console end and a Trs to dorm at the v drum end will work just fine. A di is not necessary here and I don't think the v drum head has the preamp to make it work anyway. Just get the cables and it will work great. You might even think about getting a little headphone amp so the drummer and bass player can share a mix.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:46:48 PM »

Well, we had the college and singles service that I run tonight and I set a send up like I mentioned before, (LS9 output-> adapter-> stage input -> DI) but we had a different drummer who didn't bring his headphones.  Anyway, someone from one of the other ministries who user this space left a powered speaker in there and it worked great.  The musicians set up before I got there (I couldn't get off work early) and had it hooked up to one of the amplified monitor sends, though, and thought it was just a old bad speaker.  I guess the amplified signal going into the input of the powered speaker was causing distortion before the volume was turned up?  Anyway, the bass player who apparently has set this speaker up like that before was amazed that it produced a loud, clear sound with signal coming in backwards from a DI.

Andrew Welker

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • Denver, CO USA
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »

Well, we had the college and singles service that I run tonight and I set a send up like I mentioned before, (LS9 output-> adapter-> stage input -> DI) but we had a different drummer who didn't bring his headphones.  Anyway, someone from one of the other ministries who user this space left a powered speaker in there and it worked great.  The musicians set up before I got there (I couldn't get off work early) and had it hooked up to one of the amplified monitor sends, though, and thought it was just a old bad speaker.  I guess the amplified signal going into the input of the powered speaker was causing distortion before the volume was turned up?  Anyway, the bass player who apparently has set this speaker up like that before was amazed that it produced a loud, clear sound with signal coming in backwards from a DI.

If it isn't too hard to run extra cables up to the stage, you can probably give each person their own mix with enough powered wedges. However, that will drastically increase the stage volume. Another option would be to get small headphone amplifiers. Rolls makes a couple different models and Behringer makes one as well. I know the Behringer one has a "more me" input where the person's own input is looped through and mixed into the input coming from FOH.

For those people that have more than one input, ie a worship leader with a guitar and a vocal, Rolls has a model that has 2 "more me" inputs so that both inputs can come in. Your worship team then gets their own earbuds and can then hear everything much better. Your sound in the house also improves because the stage volume is lowered by taking the monitors off the stage.

We have done this at my church and it makes a huge difference in the quality of sound in the house.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.