ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless instrument / guitar system  (Read 12786 times)

dustin Bradley

• http://www.myspace.com/drumdogman
Re: Wireless instrument / guitar system
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 03:55:01 PM »

yeah, i'm obviously not a guitar player.  this was a very cool piece of gear back in 2002-2003.  after further researching to help you, please disregard what i said in my previous post.  stick with the x2! Very Happy
~ dustin B

Matt Duncan

• http://www.mattduncan.us
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 04:29:04 PM »

dustin Bradley wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 15:36

AKG has (or used to have) a system called "guitar bug".  it was a small transmitter, a little larger than the 1/4" plug itself, that plugged into the guitar and the reciever was about the size of a small foot-pedal that would fit nicely on the pedal board -- very cool and works great!  the price is very good also.

The lead vocalist in my band had one of those for his acoustic guitar. It was not frequency agile & frequently had problems with interference. It didn't sound anywhere near as good as the cable & IMP2 DI he's using now.

I haven't used one on guitar, but, if its anything like the rest of the lineup, the ew172g2 system would be something to look into.
www.mattduncan.us
G.A.S. Powered Productions

Nathan DePaulo

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 05:15:59 PM »

I've used the Sennheiser Freeport and Evolution series and find them very acceptable.  I even knew a bass play that recorded using the Freeport system so he could walk around the studio while he was tracking... you won't find me doing that, but he seemed to think there was no loss in audio.

Their range is good, and used units are often available at good prices.

Only thing else I've used is Shure's PGX series which I don't consider recommendable at all.  They don't have an input attenuation and are suspect to clipping.  I think for bass especially having gain staging adjustments is critical... mandatory if you have active pickups.

Bob Leonard

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 06:05:30 PM »

Matt Duncan wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 16:29

dustin Bradley wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 15:36

AKG has (or used to have) a system called "guitar bug".  it was a small transmitter, a little larger than the 1/4" plug itself, that plugged into the guitar and the reciever was about the size of a small foot-pedal that would fit nicely on the pedal board -- very cool and works great!  the price is very good also.

The lead vocalist in my band had one of those for his acoustic guitar. It was not frequency agile & frequently had problems with interference. It didn't sound anywhere near as good as the cable & IMP2 DI he's using now.

I haven't used one on guitar, but, if its anything like the rest of the lineup, the ew172g2 system would be something to look into.

What I didn't say up front was that I have been through or used Shure, Sennheiser and AKG products in the past and found that without exception they kill the high end chime of your signal (guitar players will know what I mean). Most are fine for a bass player, not much chime to lose and they're not really all that bright anyway. The guitar bug, although unique, is about the worst of the bunch. The swiveling style bangs the crap out of your guitar and it's made cheaply. Looks like I'll try the X2. $500 seems to be a good price for anything that won't suck the tone out of my system.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Ian Auger

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 10:08:57 PM »

Bob Leonard wrote on Thu, 11 December 2008 18:05

Looks like I'll try the X2. $500 seems to be a good price for anything that won't suck the tone out of my system.

Hey Bob, if you try out an X2 please post your observations.  I’m in the boonies so I can’t easily check one out.  (And if it don’t do the chime, it ain’t worth my time.) Cool

Ian

Lee Douglas

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 11:51:39 PM »

There is a thread over at HC on this same subject.  It might even be your thread.  Anyway, here's a link:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2174509
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Bob Leonard

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 12:16:43 AM »

Ian Auger wrote on Thu, 11 December 2008 22:08

Bob Leonard wrote on Thu, 11 December 2008 18:05

Looks like I'll try the X2. $500 seems to be a good price for anything that won't suck the tone out of my system.

Hey Bob, if you try out an X2 please post your observations.  I’m in the boonies so I can’t easily check one out.  (And if it don’t do the chime, it ain’t worth my time.) Cool

Ian

Ian,
I would be more than happy to post the results. I read the HC reviews and as is usual each person swears by what they own. I'm not into that so the review will be unbiased and based on past experiences with other units.

I'm thinking this may be helpful for more than just we people that sit on both sides of the board. I'm not into providing wireless units to guitar players, but I get asked enough about my tone, and one question that I'm always asked is why I don't use a wireless rig. The answer is simple. Unless you've been willing to pay 3 grand for the system the tone will suck.

On the 19th my band puts on our annual christmas party. We rent a hall, invite the people, provide the food, and have a great time. This year we introduce our new vocalist and if I get hold of an X2 in time I'll use it then.

That will be the acid test simply because the room will be full of club owners, musicians, family and friends who will let me know if my tone has gone south. We'll see, but I am being led to believe the X2 can do what I want, and if it can it will be the only wireless unit I have ever tried that has been able to do the job without tone lost.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Steve Hurt

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »

Will the whitespace changes affect the X2?

Don Boomer

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 05:57:19 PM »

No ... it's in the 900 ISM band.
Don Boomer
Wireless Sales Engineer
Line 6, inc.

Roger Johnson

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 10:35:35 PM »

+1 for the X2 digital system.  I have the pedalboard ($299) version for my small combo rig, and it's awesome.  No power concerns (runs on a battery if you want) and has great range.  I've not had a dropout (I hope I don't jinx myself now...)

I also have the rack version, and it's even better.  A little pricey, but I like it better than my old Shure ULX unit.  I think it sounds a little more like my cable, and I don't have to fiddle with the gain settings to get it right.  The Les Paul still has the output, and the strat still shimmers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.