ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: recommend new tops  (Read 7898 times)

Scott Smith

Re: recommend new tops
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 09:54:19 AM »

SteveKirby wrote on Thu, 04 December 2008 23:06

...I can not stand the sound of an amp pointed right at me at close range...

Not to single out your comment, but I think that is the point.  Most people can't stand it either.

Quote:

...You need to be some distance from it to hear it's true acoustic balance.  Something like 10 to 15 feet.  Like were most of the audience is...

I don't think "it's" acoustic balance really changes much (if anything...it probably loses some of it's own tonal balance).  More like it becomes a little more acoustically balanced with the rest of the sound.  10 to 15 feet is still "close range" IMO.  Obviously, this point is for the "excessively" loud guitar amps.

This particular point has been discussed in GREAT detail already.  Nothing sucks worse than being in the narrow spl tunnel path of screaming guitar devastation!  Being on stage with guitar shooting below and past your legs, you might not be aware of the destruction.

There may be more "acoustic balance" when you get off axis and out of the "cone of destruction".  Very Happy

I would recommend the player be at least partially in the cone so everyone can share in the pain.
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 10:02:22 AM »

SteveKirby wrote on Thu, 04 December 2008 23:06

The rest of my band uses IEM's but I can't stand them.  Again, they sound competely unnatural.  But I can find my spot in front of my shield where I can hear myself clearly with the amp at a reasonable volume and keep the mix together.  

Hi Steve,
Re IEM's...
Have you tried using a couple of decent condenser mics on your amp and introducing some delay to the mic signals?  Guitarists who are "tonemeisters" tend to be the ones most reluctant to go with IEM, but I find there is a definite improvement if you get the right blend in combination with some delay.  Without delay there is an immediacy to the IEM guitar sound that can make it see unnatural.  I got put onto this technique a while back from another thread and it seems to make quite a difference.

Jim Smith

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 08:58:04 PM »

Evan Lamb wrote on Thu, 04 December 2008 02:14

"I have to pole mount my EF500Ps -94.6lbs- (These are the cabs you were thinking of Barry)"

Actually, they're 83lbs., but damn if they don't feel like 94.6lbs. when trying to pole mount them.

Jon Roberts

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 10:19:36 PM »

Slightly over your budget but I just picked up a pair of the QSC HPR153i after listening to a number of active cabs in that price range and they sound awesome for the money. I've got an HPR181i coming in on Friday but even without the sub they have some nice punch in the low end. And by slightly over your budget I picked them up new for $50 over. Heavy bastards though...

- Jon

Tim Padrick

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 03:04:51 AM »

Jim Smith wrote on Sun, 14 December 2008 19:58

Evan Lamb wrote on Thu, 04 December 2008 02:14

"I have to pole mount my EF500Ps -94.6lbs- (These are the cabs you were thinking of Barry)"

Actually, they're 83lbs., but damn if they don't feel like 94.6lbs. when trying to pole mount them.

I find it easiest if I set the height of the pole above eye level, then do a full press (elbows locked) with the box, and put the box on the pole.  (Doubt I could do it with a box that heavy though.)

(In other words, it's much easier to put the pole in if you can see the hole in the box.)

Nathan DePaulo

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 12:25:31 PM »

Tim Padrick wrote on Mon, 15 December 2008 02:04

I find it easiest if I set the height of the pole above eye level, then do a full press (elbows locked) with the box, and put the box on the pole.  (Doubt I could do it with a box that heavy though.)

(In other words, it's much easier to put the pole in if you can see the hole in the box.)

When I have to set them up on the pole with out a second guy I use this little trick:

set the speaker on the floor, grill down.  Bring the pole (already set for preferred height) into the pole cup, then walk the speaker up.  It's less back intensive and doesn't require holding a 70 lb speaker over my head while I try and line them up.

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 12:27:43 PM »

+1
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Caleb Dick

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »

Tim Padrick wrote on Mon, 15 December 2008 00:04

This is what I typically do as well.  Even the U15P isn't too bad at under 100 lbs.  Gotta get a small workout in sometime  Very Happy  Compromised back from football and all.

Caleb
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.