ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: I-Tech vs Digam K for subwoofers ?  (Read 11560 times)

Josh Ricci

Re: I-Tech vs Digam K for subwoofers ?
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 10:44:24 AM »

Pascal Pincosy wrote on Thu, 04 December 2008 16:27

Josh Ricci wrote on Thu, 04 December 2008 09:06

The Aura drivers looked nice but there were a lot of reports of failures and the thermal power handling didn't seem to be very good at all. Maybe related to the neo-mags? Also warranty service issues.

I'm pretty sure Bassmaxx still sells the NEOMAXX driver, which was derived from the Aura. The NEOMAXX went through a number of revisions that greatly improved the thermal limitations of that driver. And Bassmaxx gave me great service when I was using those drivers.

I think they have a few left. I inquired about them at one time. The ZR18's/ Neomaxx/ WorxAudio drivers were all originally designed and made by TC Sounds which has went under.

The DSP is always in the path with the I-tech's? What's the street price on the Powersoft? Comparable to an IT-8000?
I know just enough to know that I'm clueless.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 11:45:47 AM »

"Extra features?"  A cone transducer doesn't have features, at least not in the sense that a console has a "feature set."  They either work as specified or they don't.

The 2269H is a solid performer in the 4880A.  What it would do in another cab, with different processing applied, is anyone's guess.

As an owner of 4880s, and a sub-renter of 4880As, I can tell you there is a visceral difference between the two.  The trade off: for the extra LF extension of the 2269H the amount of voltage and long term current capability of the amp is a significant requirement.  An ITech 8000 or a bridged Crest Pro9200 will run out of gas before a properly processed 2269H will bottom out in the 4880A.  In fact, one of my friendly competitors is likely switching to K12s in an attempt to get the most SPL from his 4880As...

You can easily download the spec sheets for the 2269H and 2258H (used in the 4880) from JBL and see what you think.  The application support engineers at JBL can answer specific questions you might have about the differences between the models.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

George Chkhartishvili

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 03:11:43 PM »

Eytan Gidron wrote on Sat, 06 December 2008 09:04

George Chkhartishvili wrote on Thu, 04 December 2008 08:37

Cole:

Powersoft is also available with or without DSP as far as i know.

Yes you are correct. However, with the Powersoft you can completly bypass the DSP if you want, this is not possible with the Crown I-Tech, it's always in the way.

very interesting - always wondered about that, thanks.

so, there are no problems with getting warranty service on powersoft in USA ?  i ask because most places selling this amp list the price in euros or pounds and not dollars.

George Chkhartishvili

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 03:28:46 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Mon, 08 December 2008 11:45

"Extra features?"  A cone transducer doesn't have features, at least not in the sense that a console has a "feature set."  They either work as specified or they don't.

well sure.

i was referring to "features" such as copper shorting rings etc.  i call that features because the driver will still work without them.

from your post i gather that 2269 is one strong driver.  from its specs it seems just about perfect for a prosound subwoofer.

acoupower would probably be better suited for studio or home use.

2269 is nonlinear which i think is actually an ADVANTAGE for prosound.  it increases efficiency and at the same time makes it harder to break the driver by over-excursion.  in other words a non-linear driver is more robust both thermally and mechanically.

acoupower is linear which makes it a niche audiophile product ...

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 03:40:41 PM »

Probably the main "feature" of the 2269/2258 is the "differential drive" coil winding and the cooling method.

The arcana of coils and suspensions is something I don't deal in; I'm an owner/user, not a transducer designer.  That's why I said "either they work as specified or they don't."

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.