ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Venice 320  (Read 31786 times)

Evan F. Hunter

Midas Venice 320
« on: November 28, 2008, 11:05:40 am »

Hey guys, me again, I'm thinking that when I purchase my ZX3s I also want to upgrade my  mixer. I'm looking at the Midas Venice 320... is it worth the money? I keep hearing how Midas is soooo good and I do end up seeing them a lot. If not, what other boards (no more expensive) would you recommend? I don't really need a BIGGER board. The 320 has 24 mono, 4 stereo..that should be fine. Im looking for a really high quality board to use for live sound and in the studio. I don't want digital YET...I like the feel of an analogue console in front of me, for now. I am learning some of the digital stuff next semester hopefully but for now I want a good solid analogue console...Midas Venice 320 worth it, or are there better for the money?
Evan Hunter
"The Loud Hunter"
FosterSoundStudios(at)inbox.com
(4) QRX115s (4) SRX 728s Soundcraft GB8, Mackie Onyx 1640, TC Electronics fx.

Dan Johnson

Re: Midas Venice 320
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 11:47:39 am »

I can't speak specifically about the Midas Venice but I think if you're going to spend that much, you should just start looking at a digital console.  I know you said you're not ready for a digital but you say you'll be learning about digital consoles next semester.  I think that once you experience a digital console, you'll regret having just bought a new analog console that costs about as much as a digital console.

You should look for someone in your area that has a Yamaha LS9-32 and see if they'll show you around the console.  Download the editor software from Yamaha's website and start looking at what the console is capable of.  Remember, you're not just buying a 32-channel console.  you're also getting 4 FX units, up to 8 graphic EQs, 2 dynamics processors (compressor, gate, etc.) on every channel, as well as 4-band fully parametric EQs on each channel just to name a few things.

It doesn't sound like a new console is an immediate NEED.  You could keep saving until after next semester when you've had more experience with digital.  I think you would be glad you did.

Daniel Nickleski

• http://www.soundworkspro.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:57:10 am »

I agree save your money for an LS9. The venice is a decent sounding board, but the layout is a little weird and it doesn't have many routing options available. It is way overpriced for what it is. That being said I do own two of them because band engineers are almost always familiar with them...

Daniel Nickleski
soundworksdan@mac.com

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 12:07:15 pm »

I haven't been very impressed with the Venice.  The EQ doesn't seem to do much, and the layout is a little weird.  If you have customers who are wowed by the Midas name then it might be worth it, but I don't think it's anything special.

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 12:25:10 pm »

What are you using now?

I've never been a huge fan of the Venice, as I find the setup of the auxes to be somewhere between limiting and annoying.  The board also lacks any form of matrix.  I believe that the APB Pro-Desk is in the same price range as the Venice, and is worth a look.

The Venice is a good sounding board, though, and I think it sounds better than the LS9 (at least in a non-blind test in a semi-controlled environment).  In a live situation, the extra features of the LS9 will allow you to have more control over the sound though, and far outweigh the slight decrease in sound quality.  In a recording environment, this may not be the case.  This also presumes that the rest of the signal chain is capable of reproducing the difference.

Dick Rees

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 12:54:48 pm »

I have had a Venice 320 for 6 going on 7 years and it has been worth the $$$$, but the use I have for it is not what I thought when I bought.  Considering you're moving up from (I believe) a Mackie, anything is going to be a step up. Twisted Evil

I have ended up using it primarily for recordings and remote broadcast work with the occasional use for live sound when I have a monitor desk on stage.

If you're going to do monitors from FOH as I suspect you'll do a majority of the time I would suggest something with more auxes.  Also with more sub-groups.  There are many good used boards with 8-10 auxes and eight sub-groups which you can pick up for the price of the Venice AND get a road case in the bargain.  I've seen Crest GT or VT consoles as low as $2K used.

Scott.....

I don't know why the EQ didn't work for you.  Two of the reasons I went with the Venice in the first place were the head amps and the EQ.  The Q is narrower on the Venice than on my A & H boards.  

What I don't like (really don't like) is the lack of polarity flip in the channel strip.  The awkward positioning of the phantom enable switches I can live with

DR
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Joseph Yoon Jr.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 01:28:29 pm »

Perhaps the Allen & Heath GL series could be an answer?

the GL2400-32 can be had for about $2K.
@ LAB to learn.

Dan Johnson

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 02:54:46 pm »

If you do decide to stick with analog, I've been very happy with my Allen & Heath GL2200 (which is old version of the GL2400).  Or if you want something with more auxes and subgroups as Dick Rees suggested, the GL2800 offers 10 auxes and 8 subgroups.

Northern Sound & Light has great pricing on both of these.  You get a lot more features than the Midas at a better price.  And A&H is definitely a nice step up soundwise from the Mackie (if that is indeed what you are running now).

Bjørn Henriksen

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »

I have been mixing on a Venice for about 5 years now and I can say, for the money, there are few consoles that sounds better.(Maybe the APB as mentioned) The preamps are excellent, EQ are ok,aux, so,so,but something that puts it ahead the competition, is SUMMING. I do alot of acoustic work which I somtimes record from the stereo outputs, and I must say I'm impressed by the result I get when listen to the recorded material. The Venice gives space to each instrument but at the same time make a "homogenius" mix.Since I'm an analog man, I sometimes bring my Midas to venues that houses digital desks like Yammi M7's and LS9's and get credits from the house tech's,espesially for the vocal sound. I also own a Soundcraft GB desk, which the Venice often is compared to. The GB desk sounds "thinner" to my ears,less "warmth" to the vox, but it's more flexible hence the matrix and auxes.

SteveKirby

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 03:54:07 pm »

I know some folks with a Venice.  They are in an ethnic niche market.  The Midas name opens some doors and they even have folks cross renting it from them on gig's they didn't win.

But I think this works in their market better than it would in the general world.  Folks in their market may have heard of Midas but often aren't as conversant with the range of models.

I'm not sure given the rest of my system, that there would be a marked SQ improvement over my GL with a Venice.  And I certainly like working with the A&H control surface better.

If I was going to drop that kind of money, I would be leaning much harder towards an LS9-32.  I'm not a fan of digital in general, but the performance advantages of all the extra buses and processing are worth more in a small system than a little bit of extra warmth.  Particularly since most compression driver based mains are not exactly "warm" to begin with.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 18 queries.