ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 quick Martin service questions  (Read 2279 times)

Mike Maki

3 quick Martin service questions
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:22:18 PM »

Hi,

I have a number of Mac250, Mac300 that need work. The Canadian distributor told me that Martin does not provide service manuals for sale.

1; Is this true?

2; Does anyone think it is a good idea to provide products for use buy professionals but not provide basic service aids?

3; Does anyone have a pdf of a mac250 or 300 service manual thay can email me? I would be forever greatfull and I promise to never let Martin know about it.

Thanks,

Mike

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
Re: 3 quick Martin service questions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 06:51:29 PM »

Mike, very few of the lighting manufacturers (if any) provide service manuals; even if you're a dealer, I don't think they even exist in most cases. High End was the exception, but you had to go thru their class (which was NOT free) to become qualified to even get copies.

It's not just Martin.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 08:24:45 PM »

So... how are you supposed to repair your equipment, then?
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:24:37 PM »

send it to their service department
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:11:59 PM »

In addition to what James said,

You do have to realize that moving head fixtures started out as something you couldn't even buy, it was rental only (meaning that you, the production co, would have to rent it from vari-lite and couldn't buy it).

This has obviously changed over the years, but some of that mindset still remains in the form of no service manuals and the expectation you will send it in for service.

Now many people still do service them, but generally speaking they just have a very firm grasp on electronics and mechanical drive systems and hence repair their fixtures as a process of analytical problem solving.

So, you can either send them in, or find someone to troubleshoot them for you, but generally speaking unless you already can figure out how to fix them without a manual, you should send it to someone else.

Karl P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 11:22:58 PM »

I take it that if you can't get service manuals, you can't get parts?

I'm decent at simply troubleshooting.  I have no trouble opening up a mixing desk (even digital for simple stuff) and figuring out what's not working, swapping out parts, etc.  So the only way to find out if you can service your own lights is to try?

Assuming you can get parts...
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 11:46:53 PM »

In theory you can get parts, and you can also get tech help by phone from most of the better companies. There are some companies that will respond better than others, and most want you to buy parts thru a dealer, but if you have good technical skills they will normally help you within reason.

YMMV, of course....
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 07:49:36 AM »

If a fixture is under warranty and it gets repaired by a non-certified technician, the mfg. could void the warranty.  Not saying they will, but they could.  If these are older products, chances are the warranty is expired already.  While the safe thing to do is call Martin in Florida and ask where the nearest authorized service center is, you could also post an ad looking for a Martin tech near you.  Or call a competitor and ask them.  I know a couple guys, but they're both in Chicago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.