ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using the same wireless system in three rooms  (Read 2094 times)

Chris Parsons

• http://www.musicsantacruz.com
Using the same wireless system in three rooms
« on: November 19, 2008, 02:27:41 pm »

Hey Everyone,

I've got a possible install coming up that requires the same wireless system (most likely Shure ULX) to be used in three different rooms.  Two of the rooms are adjacent and the third is just a small hallway away.  I would like each room to have full diversity.

This is really to save money, instead of each room getting its own rack of wireless, there will be one rack of wireless to serve the entire facility, Probably a total of 6 receivers that could be used in any combination amongst the different rooms.  

I flat out don't understand enough about RF to pull this off.  I would appreciate any ideas or examples!

Thanks,

Chris Parsons

Dick Rees

Re: Using the same wireless system in three rooms
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:24:03 pm »

How are the rooms wired for sound now?  More information, please.
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 04:48:52 pm »

Chris Parsons wrote on Wed, 19 November 2008 13:27

Hey Everyone,

I've got a possible install coming up that requires the same wireless system (most likely Shure ULX) to be used in three different rooms.  Two of the rooms are adjacent and the third is just a small hallway away.  I would like each room to have full diversity.

This is really to save money, instead of each room getting its own rack of wireless, there will be one rack of wireless to serve the entire facility, Probably a total of 6 receivers that could be used in any combination amongst the different rooms.  

I flat out don't understand enough about RF to pull this off.  I would appreciate any ideas or examples!

Thanks,

Chris Parsons

Hello Chris,

This can be very complicated to the unexperienced.... you should hire someone from this site as a consultant... a few hours of work and they could get you headed in the right direction.

Cheers,
Hammer

Be prepared, you'll need it!

Chris Parsons

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 04:56:26 pm »

I will be using Symnet for audio routing/processing.  I've got all of that worked out actually.  All I need is a little help with this RF problem.  Have any of you encountered any similar situations?

Thanks!

-Chris Parsons

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 05:07:16 pm »

Chris-

The simple solution here is to just have a single rack of wireless or several single or dual receiver wireless packs that can be toted from one room to another. Then the output(s) can be plugged into regular wired jacks in each room.

This also affords you the flexibility of putting regular wired microphones in the rooms as well.

This will be a LOT less expensive than installing a bunch of antennas throughout your facility and combining them into a single wireless receiver or four.

-Josh
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Brad Weber

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 05:55:24 pm »

I have done several divide/combine type applications with three or more rooms and a central rack with the wireless receivers.  The RF part is usually pretty easy to address if the rooms are adjacent, but figuring out what transmitter and corresponding receiver is being used in which space and how to tell the system that can be more complex.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Chris Parsons

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 11:12:40 am »

Brad Weber wrote on Wed, 19 November 2008 22:55

The RF part is usually pretty easy to address if the rooms are adjacent....

Would you mind elaborating on this?

Thank You,
-Chris Parsons

Brad Weber

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

Chris Parsons wrote on Fri, 21 November 2008 11:12

Brad Weber wrote on Wed, 19 November 2008 22:55

The RF part is usually pretty easy to address if the rooms are adjacent....

Would you mind elaborating on this?

In the combinable room projects I've had it was possible to locate the antennas out over the ceilings such that the antennas, or at least one of them, could still pick up a transmitter in any of the rooms.  For example, with three divide/combine rooms we might locate an antenna above the ceiling near each of the two room divisions.  As you move from room to room or around the spaces it may switch which of the two antennas is in use but you can usually move throughout the space with pretty good coverage.  It may not be the ideal, but so far it has worked without any problems.

Also, if I have more than a couple of receivers, I usually use an antenna distribution system.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.