ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PSW is crashing my browser  (Read 4449 times)

Mike Pyle

PSW is crashing my browser
« on: November 05, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »

I use IE 6 on Windows 2000. For the last few days trying to navigate PSW causes my browser to freeze.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
    • http://www.standingstone.com
Re: PSW is crashing my browser
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 06:19:29 PM »

Anyone else having this problem? What specifically happens, and on what page(s)? IE6 is old and buggy; I recommend upgrading at least to IE7 if not Firefox. Likewise Win2000 is pretty old at this point.
Ernie Black, Code Warrior
ProSoundWeb Forums Webmaster

Mike Pyle

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 07:22:03 PM »

Old and buggy as it is, it works pretty much all the time.

I've just noticed the last few days that at times on PSW navigating to another message or different forum, the page will load 99.99% then freeze. I have to end the program & restart the browser.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 11:59:10 PM »

There are so very many things that could be causing this, it's impossible to say. I assume you are running anti-virus and have checked for spyware (using something like Spybot). There are a few things you can check. One common problem seems to be if you're running the Google toolbar or other third-party plugins that can cause IE6 to freeze (for instance, the Google toolbar will contact Google when you're loading the page, and that could hang things). Your browser may not be handling javascript well and hanging on some bit of js.

There's an interesting liturgy of troubleshooting here dating from 2002 to 2008 (so these problems go on and on for users of IE6--a good reason to upgrade to IE7 or FF 3 or Safari for Windows).

You may have luck if you try to repair IE from the control panel:

Repair on Windows 95,98,ME, NT, or 2000

If you are using one of these versions of Windows then Internet Explorer 6 was not installed by default when you installed the operating system but rather from an upgrade. Since you upgraded to IE6 you have the advantage of having a repair tool that came with the installation.

To access this repair tool you should follow these steps:

Click on Start, then click on Settings, and then click on Control Panel.
Once the control panel window is open double-click on the Add/Remove Programs icon.
You will now see a screen that shows a listing of all installed programs on your computer. Scroll down till you see Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools.
Double-click this entry and a screen will appear asking what you would like to do.
Select the option to Repair Internet Explorer and press the OK button.
Then press the Yes key to begin the process.
When it is completed reboot your computer.

Mike Pyle

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 12:00:31 PM »

I believe it was flash content, causing my CPU to run at 100%. I uninstalled flash and everything worked okay. Now I'm running FF with adblocker and that works too. I'd be okay with ads, but not at the expense of utility.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 12:51:40 PM »

Yeah, that's one of the detriments of Flash in some cases. Would be good to know which flash ads are the culprits.

It's a never ending battle: we obviously need the ad revenue to support the site, else it would go away, but then trying to keep ad weights light and not disruptive is a challenge. At least PSW doesn't server popup and popunder ads or interstitials that you need to click through to get to the target page.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 11:58:55 AM »

I had to do the same thing.  I feel a bit like a cheater, not seeing the advertising and all... but now I can load a page without locking up the browser.. and that was FF w/o the adblock, and Opera.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 12:48:55 PM »

I view the forums all the time in both FF and IE (and every so often in Safari and Chrome) on Windows Beast, err, Vista and XP. I also run browser checks periodically at http://browsershots.org/ to be sure it's loading across platforms and browsers (my Mac is antiquated and I am ordering a replacement soon). I have not seen this problem myself. I'm running FF 3.0.4. My only suspicion is something to do with the flash handling with certain banner ads, and if so and if I haven't encountered those ads I have not seen the result.

Thanks for the continual feedback, we are working to improve the user experience across the board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.