ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: digital cable box for corp. a/v situations?  (Read 3717 times)

Adam Sykes

digital cable box for corp. a/v situations?
« on: November 05, 2008, 09:44:41 AM »

What do you all do when you're dealing with the need to present a television show at an event.  Say it's the world series, big debates, inaugurations, etc.  Are you leaving up to the venue to provide a cable feed and the box?  

I'm wondering if there exists a digital converter (with at least 720p out put) for contractors which bypasses the need to have a permanent account with say, comcast?  

It can be a big pain in the ass when the client says they want to watch a "big game" at the last minute.  In past you could pull a nice analog signal right out of wall at 95% of the venues which were wired.  I would like to be able to get a quality digtal signal in much the same way.

Any ideas?

Brad Weber

Re: digital cable box for corp. a/v situations?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:20:57 PM »

So you essentially want to steal programming to display it in a manner that may be illegal?

Seriously, one of the biggest advantages to digital from the broadcast end is security and trying to prevent exactly this scenario.  The potential contractual and legal implications are one major reason why I do usually leave it up to the venue to provide any cable or satellite receivers.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Adam Sykes

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »

Brad Weber wrote on Wed, 05 November 2008 12:20

So you essentially want to steal programming to display it in a manner that may be illegal?

There would be no intention of stealing anything. Either signal or programing.  It could be a package for contractors which allowed use of signal and content for a fee.  

How does it work for a hotel which has 500 receivers?  They must have some sort of deal.  Now granted the audience for each receiver is small and similar to a home audience, but it is still a commercial enterprise making money by offering these services (the signal and content.)

How else could one provide these services without a large amount of prep.  Satellite trucks, special deals with the network?

What about sports bars?  They make a killing showing "the big game".

The difference is that a potable deal is required.  Maybe a vendor has a special box they can have verified on any paticular cable network.  ie: plug in the receiver, call them up, verify signal, throw it into the switcher.

that is what I'm talking about.  Not some sort of de-scrambler.

Ken Freeman

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 01:12:26 PM »

Direct TV.  You need to get outside to point the antenna.  Use it on Golf, X Games, etc.  about $40.00 a month plus what you might order with PPV.

Ken

Andrew Welker

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 02:18:30 PM »

Check out Contemporary Research's 232-ATSC.  It will tune NTSC, ATSC, and QAM modulated signals. If it's hooked up to a cable system, it will get the unencrypted channels.  It has component and HDMI out, plus all of the normal SD outputs.  

Andrew Welker
Project Engineer
Ford AV - Denver

Don Boone

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 02:22:10 PM »

I thought Commercial Direct TV was more like $100 a month.

Can't find any info (yet) on the web site.

Don

Adam Sykes

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 02:52:17 PM »

Andrew Welker wrote on Wed, 05 November 2008 14:18

Check out Contemporary Research's 232-ATSC.  It will tune NTSC, ATSC, and QAM modulated signals. If it's hooked up to a cable system, it will get the unencrypted channels.  It has component and HDMI out, plus all of the normal SD outputs.  

I took a look at this box and it looks pretty sweet.  Then the question comes to the legality of using it on a show.

Don Boone

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 11:13:45 AM »

Quote:

Then the question comes to the legality of using it on a show.

I would be very careful here. Say you want to show the big game that's on channel 7 so you call up channel 7 to ask if it's OK.
In the unlikely event that channel 7 says OK you are still illegally retransmitting the game. Channel 7 doesn't have the rights to give you the rights to show the game. Only the owner of the program has those rights.

Don

Brad Weber

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 07:31:02 AM »

Adam Sykes wrote on Wed, 05 November 2008 12:41

There would be no intention of stealing anything. Either signal or programing.  It could be a package for contractors which allowed use of signal and content for a fee.

It was the comment "which bypasses the need to have a permanent account with say, comcast?" that seemed to be trying to look for a way around this.  

Most of my corporate clients are going the DirecTV route but I have had a couple use the local digital cable service.  The last time I was involved in a project where the Contractor tried getting these services on behalf of the client was a mess with having to get Powers of Attorney to sign a contract on their behalf and so on, so I usually have the Owner provide the service to the equipment room (which the satellite or cable service provider will typically install as part of the service contract) and the receivers with the AV contractor providing a confidence monitor where that service ends, the internal distribution and the installation of the receivers.

Quote:

What about sports bars? They make a killing showing "the big game".

They pay for the appropriate services and rights with their service providers.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.