ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Centron? Anybody heard them?  (Read 33499 times)

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
Audio Centron? Anybody heard them?
« on: October 29, 2008, 04:45:26 pm »

These guys keep coming up on ebay and I have never heard of them before. I really like the driver compliment, 2-12's horn loaded 8 and 1 inch. The subs are triple 12's. Has anyone ever used or heard these cabs before? Or know anything about them?

I would probably strip the crossover and run them 4 way stereo.

The subs would probably be more like kick bins than anything else, but in a club I'm sure they would work fine.

Are the cabs made from ply, or mdf, or osb?

Will they take a beating? Like a club rock band for a few hundred water bags?

So share your knowledge and let the world know if these are trash or a diamond in the rough. I am not really a brand snob and I can cross rent to satisfy riders. I am looking for a club PA that'll fit in a trailer and entertain up to 500 folks. These look like a good candidate from the outside.....

SteveKirby

Re: Audio Centron? Anybody heard them?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 04:50:44 pm »

They are low priced bargain speakers.  Typically better cosmetics than the garden variety B52 or Gemini.  They seem to be trying to appeal to folks who recognize that quality is often inversely proportional to flash.

Stamped frame speakers with smaller voice coils.  You are going to have to get fairly big ones to keep up with a quality smaller cabinet.  But for a small club/pub install, those big cabinets can look impressive and work okay.

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 05:14:01 pm »

Tim this reminds me of your other Renkus Heinz thread....

Are you after good sound or just what it looks like on the outside?

The latter doesn't hurt but the former is always #1 in my book.  I would steer clear of cheap stuff like this.  You won't find any "diamonds" at those prices.  More like polished turds.

kyle forbes

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 05:23:36 pm »

My buddy has some of these, huge cabinets but no big sound. They handle like 300 watts on the low end and that is the extent of it. They use them for vocals in bars for up to 150 people.

Tim Weaver

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 05:39:49 pm »

Wow, I'm so flattered that you remember.  Rolling Eyes

The crux of this question is this. Have you heard them? And what do you think of them?

I have not. That is why I am asking for opinions. Just like you said, they look nice on the outside, which is why I ask in the first place. They could look AND sound nice, or they could be a total farce. It looks like it may be the latter. Until someone comes along with actual hands on experience with these cabinets I will reserve judgement.

That being said, I cannot afford to drop 5-10k on racks and stacks right now. I am a busy SE, and this trailer rig is my side job/hobby. If I could get some stacks that aren't total crap then I would be ahead of the local small time competition already. As far as buying what is available locally, that is totally out of the question for me. The local provider owns vertec and HLA. I cannot use either for my trailer rig. I can however rent a full racks and stacks package from him when the need arises.

Peace Jeff.....

Tim Weaver

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 05:46:51 pm »

kyle forbes wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 16:23

My buddy has some of these, huge cabinets but no big sound. They handle like 300 watts on the low end and that is the extent of it. They use them for vocals in bars for up to 150 people.

Cool, thanks Kyle...

This is what I'm looking for.

Tim Tyler

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 07:49:38 pm »

Tim -

http://www.hkel.com/speaker2.html

There were some A-C speakers that were sort of a "pro" line, these may be them.  The big, cheapos were the "ACE" line, pretty basic stuff.  

If the ones you are looking at are the painted, not rat-fur, versions, they may be worth a look - if the condition is good and they meet your needs at a GOOD price.  IIRC, they were plywood, decently made.

Good luck,

-Tim T

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 12:33:06 pm »

Tim Weaver wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 17:39

Wow, I'm so flattered that you remember.  Rolling Eyes

The crux of this question is this. Have you heard them? And what do you think of them?

I have not. That is why I am asking for opinions. Just like you said, they look nice on the outside, which is why I ask in the first place. They could look AND sound nice, or they could be a total farce. It looks like it may be the latter. Until someone comes along with actual hands on experience with these cabinets I will reserve judgement.

That being said, I cannot afford to drop 5-10k on racks and stacks right now. I am a busy SE, and this trailer rig is my side job/hobby. If I could get some stacks that aren't total crap then I would be ahead of the local small time competition already. As far as buying what is available locally, that is totally out of the question for me. The local provider owns vertec and HLA. I cannot use either for my trailer rig. I can however rent a full racks and stacks package from him when the need arises.

Peace Jeff.....

Tim, I am not trying to be a jerk about this.  You are free to do what you want with your money.

I have not heard those specific boxes.  They might sound "OK".  But I know that buying boxes with cheap drivers usually results in those drivers letting out the magic smoke at some inopportune moment, and in some cases finding replacement drivers quickly can be a headache. I doubt Audio Centron has any sort of parts/service/warranty dept that could stand up against someone like Yorkville for example.  

Quite honestly I would rather go the DIY route than buy those boxes you are looking at.

Or looking in the marketplace, Scott L is selling LA400's for $400 each.  A few of those with some tops on sticks would be a much better option IMHO, and a lot more output per watt.  You don't need to spend big $$ to get something decent, especially in the used market.

Adam Kane

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 01:56:35 pm »

Tim,

I remember running a rig with those exact same boxes (the CE series stuff) found here: http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIO-CENTRON-ProAudio-Speaker-System-12 -Trap-Cabinets_W0QQitemZ200269507997QQihZ010QQcategoryZ47094 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This was several years ago...I'll try to remember the best I can...

The ones I ran through were painted baltic birch cabs with flytracks.  I remember not being excited when I first saw the Audio Centron badges based on previous experience with their other gear...but they must have had a different engineer working on this line.

Don't remember what kind of power/processing...but I remember thinking that it sounded pretty good for what it was.  I think there were two per side each of subs and tops.  There was a suprising amount of output for just the 4 boxes...crowd was probably somewhere around 350ish and I remember having plenty of headroom.  The subs went lower than I expected.  These wouldn't come close to touching something along the lines of a Yorkville TX8, or a KF850, or anything similar. But for the money, as long as they're working it may not be a bad deal.

Follow Tim Tyler's link...on that site is a picture of the ones I'm talking about.

Jerry Turnbow

• http://www.soundsiteaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 04:34:32 pm »

Tim -

I know a bit about the cabinets you're talking about.

Audio Centron was the MI audio brand for SLM Electronics (as in "Ampeg" and "Crate") up until we phased the line out in the mid to late 90's and merged it into the "Crate Pro Audio" line.

I was director of engineering for SLME from 1992 to early 1999, and the product was developed on my watch as a more or less top of the MI line audio box.  As I recall, they sounded pretty decent, compared to what was out there at the time, although technology and price (can you say "offshore production?") have changed much since then.

The CE-34 is a "fuzzy" box made of OSB.  The CE-34F is painted, and constructed from 15mm Baltic birch, and heavily reinforced internally with metal brackets.  As this was our first (and probably last) foray into flyable cabinets with an SLME design, we paid a strutural engineering firm a lot of money and trashed a number of units to ensure that they were safe to fly as directed.  The engineer on the project was known to engineer all his designs like an outdoor masonry latrine, and they generally performed and held up well.

All the drivers, including the HF compression driver, are Eminence.  At some point in production we switched to a newer version of the Eminence compression driver, which had been enhanced for better HF response.

As another poster has said, if you can buy them right, and particularly if you get a chance to hear one and like what you hear, it's probably a good deal.  The good news is, if a driver goes out, etc., the company that made them is still right here in the good 'ol USA, and I'm sure recone parts are available.

(Note - I just checked our database, and while it looks like there aren't any complete drivers, the 86-519-05 replacement diaphragms are still on hand in our service department in Woodinville, WA)

Anyway, that's what I know.  Send me a PM with a good email address and I'd be happy to send you a .PDF of the user's manual, complete with specs, etc.  This forum doesn't allow us to send anything other than a JPEG of 512KB or less.
- Jerry Turnbow (aka 'Mako')

Owner - Sound on Site Audio Services

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 18 queries.