ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement parts for par38s  (Read 1735 times)

John Roll

Replacement parts for par38s
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:59:03 AM »

I've been searching everywhere I can think of. I purchased some par38s from the LAB marketplace. The cans are in good shape but are lacking some hardware. I've found clamps on the American DJ site, but a lot of the lights came with the hanger brackets unattached. I'm looking for the "adjusters" (black star shaped knob)which fixes the angle of the lamp on the hanger. Some of the lamps came with these adjusters on both sides of the lamps, others had a screw on one side and an adjuster on the other. What is the correct configuration? Does anyone know where I can go to get some of these?

John

Stephane Desormeaux

Re: Replacement parts for par38s
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 11:32:29 AM »

You can put either one or two knobs. If you use one, the other side should be adjusted to be snug, with some medium amount of resistance when panning, and be locked into place, with nylon nuts, or a combination of nylon and metal nuts.

I use Bolt, washer, clamp, 2 washers, par, washer, nylon and metal nut.

You can have very decent results with basic wing nuts too, instead of knobs.

As to where to get your parts, a local big sized hardware store will have most parts, at way cheaper prices than lighting distributors. Bring one par with you to try out the parts and make sure they fit well. My hardware store has a huge selection of parts, but 90% is in 1/4-20 tread, and rest is in 3/8 and 1/2.

Par cans are balanced, so that the pivot point of the can to the bracket is at the center of the weight distribution. This means that one side locking is more than enough to keep it in place. No problem to have 2, but one is enough.

John Roll

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:49:44 PM »

Stephane,
Thanks for the input. I'm a soundguy whose had the burden of fixing the lights in the club thrust upon him. The wingnut suggestion sounds like the way to go.....I'm a little confused about your washer/nut arrangement. Am I to understand that the bolt is threaded from outside-in and the nylon washer is on the inside of the can? Won't the heat melt it?Or have I got your description backwards?

John

Phil LaDue

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »

John, do you know what brand the lights are?

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 02:00:27 PM »

John Roll wrote on Mon, 27 October 2008 12:49

Stephane,
Thanks for the input. I'm a soundguy whose had the burden of fixing the lights in the club thrust upon him. The wingnut suggestion sounds like the way to go.....I'm a little confused about your washer/nut arrangement. Am I to understand that the bolt is threaded from outside-in and the nylon washer is on the inside of the can? Won't the heat melt it?Or have I got your description backwards?

John

bolt gets threaded through, and there's a metal washer directly against the can, with a nylon one beside it only on the side with your adjustment nut Smile
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design

John Roll

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 02:54:32 PM »

No. how can you tell? There don't appear to be any markings on them. However, I didn't look that closely. I think Stephane's idea is the way to go...

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 08:43:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.