ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Your opion  (Read 15829 times)

Stephen Payne

Re: Your opion
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2008, 09:08:12 AM »

I love a good argument but since this thread isn't related to sound reinforcement and may reflect on the forum, I think it belongs in the Basement.
Steve

Mike {AB} Butler

• http://www.3alchemy.com
Re: A matter of opinion, or not
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2008, 09:08:26 AM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Mon, 13 October 2008 08:32

Mark Hobbs wrote on Mon, 13 October 2008 01:28

Mac Kerr wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 18:33

Sorry, my dictionary must be missing something, The nearest spelling for "opion" I have is either opine, or opium.
index.php/fa/18398/0/

Mac

Since you did no specify which post you were talking about when you said "your post" I assumed you were talking abut the post you quoted. It's fairly clear that you were referring to a post unrelated to the one you quoted.

Mark Hobbs/Matt Collins.... what's the difference?

Hammer

Laughing  Laughing
Thanks for being the curmudgeonly gent, Hammer!
Mark, the thing that gets me here is you saying that Mac has too much ego, or is an egotist? (Actually, the only difference between him and his predecessors is the fact he uses the "lock" feature to greatly benefit the forums more often than either of them did.. Very Happy )
As Charlie points out, there are a lot of experienced folks out there who do have a right to a bit of self esteem for their paid years in blood, sweat, toil, and knowledge.
It would be nice if elders would give respect to their juniors.. but it ain't gonna happen in this biz. Just because an average 25-year-old has computer skills good enough to become CIO of a multibillion $ company.. doesn't mean I'll give them the nod for every other profession out there.. where experience and practiced skill count for a great deal.
Agree with Steve below; maybe this thread is ripe for the basement..  Rolling Eyes
Regards,
Mike Butler,
Principal, Technology and Operations,
Dascott Technologies, LLC

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2008, 10:28:45 AM »

Mike {AB} Butler wrote on Mon, 13 October 2008 08:08

As Charlie points out, there are a lot of experienced folks out there who do have a right to a bit of self esteem for their paid years in blood, sweat, toil, and knowledge.
It would be nice if elders would give respect to their juniors.. but it ain't gonna happen in this biz.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your confidence, but I didn't necessarily mean that "Experienced Folks" should not give respect to "their juniors", or that the "juniors" don't deserve respect.

Everyone that shows respect, deserves respect.

What I WAS trying to say, is that the longer a person has been in the Business, the more they have learned that wishy-washy conversations, unclear communications are not only disruptive, and time "wasters", but, can be the reason for resentments and anger from some. (ever experience a person on a Gig losing their temper?)

When I work a Gig, if I ask a DIRECT question, I WANT A DIRECT ANSWER.... if you don't know the answer... say so.

When I work a Gig...

Make sure any of your Paperwork, or Labeling is Legible:

PRINT

If it's your I 9's, W-2's or other payroll paperwork,and I can't read it, you may NOT get Paid in a timely manner!

Don't answer any questions from the client that may be a touchy subject, refer them to the PROPER PERSON.

Cute names that you've made up for common Sound Gear are great, but LEAVE them at home! If the rest of the Crew doesn't know what you're talking about, in an emergency, you're just going to piss everyone off.

That's what I was referring to, being Direct.

Cheers,
Hammer

Be prepared, you'll need it!

Christian Tepfer

what may be a good title for Re: A matter of opinion, or not
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2008, 11:11:27 AM »

Is it just me?

I would like to see a descriptive title, giving a bit more information than "opinion" well-spelled or not.

Something like "opinion on subs" would have made me more than happy above this thread.

Scott Deeter

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2008, 11:14:49 AM »

Mike {AB} Butler wrote on Mon, 13 October 2008 09:08

Agree with Steve below; maybe this thread is ripe for the basement..  Rolling Eyes
Regards,

Yes I'd agree also now. It's a shame though as this thread really (to me that is) started out with a fairly basic question or two looking for a few opinions or suggestions that just turned into a bunch of bull shit. Even the original Sig may have had a little truth to it as this is a place to gain knowledge and to better yourself with running or understanding gear better. So there could possibly be many shitty sound techs out there, but what's wrong with that with them coming here to get better, isn't this the place to go to for information and the understanding of Sound Reinforcement.....correctly for the most part?

Just think, this all started with this:

Kevin Geen wrote on Wed, 08 October 2008 18:23

I am just curious to see what you guys think. I'm looking for opinions on what type of subs I should use. I basically DJ for crowds of 50-600 depending on the event and venue. I'm running EV eliminator on the top on my old school Peavey CS800. The big, 70 pound monster lol, and have a Peavey SP218 for the bottom on a bridged CE2000 amp. Although it fills a medium/small sized room, I know I need more.

I've been bumming around this site reading about all other subs out there, and i'm not sure if the Peaveys are right for me. But this is where I want your opinion. I am debating between another SP218, or I was looking at the Yorkville UCS1.

I was probably going to pick up the QSC RMX2450's, I figure I could run 2 UCS1's on 1 amp, or 1 SP218. For the music I play, it's mostly, 70's, 80's, rock, and hip hop. It's the majority of what I play. Any suggestions?

Then the sig line was hit (with apologies made for them I may add), then the spell checker, then in defense with having a few drinks, then the thread just swerved all over the place. Just think, if the question at hand was just answered, there would be many LESS pages to this thread, and also less noise added.

I'm under the impression that nobody is forced to reply to any post in any of the forums here, but if you choose to, I'd like to think it's in a helping way for the most part. There's a reply here that states "Simple Terms to post here", well I'd also like to mention if you don't like how a post is written, in very simple terms DON"T REPLY THEN (if it doesn't meet your criteria). We all have that choice don't we Rolling Eyes
Take care,
Scott Deeter

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Topic swerves
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »

Scott Deeter wrote on Mon, 13 October 2008 11:14

Then the sig line was hit (with apologies made for them I may add), then the spell checker, then in defense with having a few drinks, then the thread just swerved all over the place. Just think, if the question at hand was just answered, there would be many LESS pages to this thread, and also less noise added.

I'm under the impression that nobody is forced to reply to any post in any of the forums here, but if you choose to, I'd like to think it's in a helping way for the most part. There's a reply here that states "Simple Terms to post here", well I'd also like to mention if you don't like how a post is written, in very simple terms DON"T REPLY THEN (if it doesn't meet your criteria). We all have that choice don't we Rolling Eyes

I don't think topic swerves are a bad thing. That is how real conversations work. Sometimes you get led off in a different direction, and maybe you learn something new you didn't expect. If you don't want to follow the swerve it is easy to see where it happened, and you can just avoid that branch. There is no "noise" added here, just information that wasn't what the OP asked about. As far as responding or not, since you don't seem to like the way this thread turned, you could have followed your own advice. Of your 3 posts (so far) to this thread, not one of them addressed the OP's original question, all of them were part of the topic swerve you seem so opposed to.

These forums are for open discussion. They are not a free library where you get to ask your question and have 10 people answer it, with the answer you wanted to hear. It is also a moderated forum, not a Usenet group. The moderators are here to maintain a certain level of order, and professionalism. I think the respect that this site has in the industry is due, at least in part, to that level of professionalism.

You can respond or not to whatever topics you want, but I think the moderators here will continue to let discussions swerve in whatever direction they will. And the moderators will continue to maintain order as they see fit, including suggesting that members pay attention to what they're writing, and how that makes them appear to the community in general.

Mac

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Re: My Opinion
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2008, 05:31:22 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Thu, 09 October 2008 17:05

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Thu, 09 October 2008 19:42

Hey Mister Grumpypants...  Very Happy

The spell-check feature here on LAB doesn't look at the thread's title.

Au contraire. It found the misspelled word in the subject line when I ran it.

Mac

Yes, you are right. I wasn't looking in the right place for the PSW spellcheck function and was only seeing the same functions coming from Mozilla Firefox, the browser I use. Sorry to have misled you.  Confused

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Mike {AB} Butler

• http://www.3alchemy.com
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2008, 07:31:05 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Mon, 13 October 2008 10:28

Mike {AB} Butler wrote on Mon, 13 October 2008 08:08

It would be nice if elders would give respect to their juniors.. but it ain't gonna happen in this biz.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your confidence, but I didn't necessarily mean that "Experienced Folks" should not give respect to "their juniors", or that the "juniors" don't deserve respect.

Everyone that shows respect, deserves respect.

What I WAS trying to say, is that the longer a person has been in the Business, the more they have learned that wishy-washy conversations, unclear communications are not only disruptive, and time "wasters", but, can be the reason for resentments and anger from some. (ever experience a person on a Gig losing their temper?)

When I work a Gig, if I ask a DIRECT question, I WANT A DIRECT ANSWER.... if you don't know the answer... say so.

When I work a Gig...

Make sure any of your Paperwork, or Labeling is Legible:

PRINT

If it's your I 9's, W-2's or other payroll paperwork,and I can't read it, you may NOT get Paid in a timely manner!

Don't answer any questions from the client that may be a touchy subject, refer them to the PROPER PERSON.

Cute names that you've made up for common Sound Gear are great, but LEAVE them at home! If the rest of the Crew doesn't know what you're talking about, in an emergency, you're just going to piss everyone off.

That's what I was referring to, being Direct.

Cheers,
Hammer

Hammer,
Thanks for the clarification and correction.. I don't wish to put words in your mouth that aren't there..  Embarassed
While I hear what you are saying about "direct" communications, the fact is the customer is the person we most often have the issues with (ever do a corporate or few, you know what I mean..), and getting impatient or mad at them can be a bad move - as I'm sure you know. Even with colleagues, I recognize that no 2 people think or understand everything the same.. therefore, a bit of diplomacy and show of polite respect is necessary.. Right up to the point where they clearly show a dispostion to do the wrong thing.. OR WORSE.. what they're asserting a point about stuff that is either unsafe, wrong, or will cause you grief with [your] customer.. then it's time to pull out the verbal hammers and nail pullers.. you will have to do a very fast bit of verbal demolition and rebuild in a hurry to save the customer, yourself, and the Tom Fool who just ate up your graciousness.. Mad  

Regards,
Mike Butler,
Principal, Technology and Operations,
Dascott Technologies, LLC

Travis Watson

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2008, 09:09:54 PM »

This thread has gone way wrong, at least I tried to give my opinion on the original topic. For all those that swerved it to never land you might try here, http://www.dailywritingtips.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4
and post that they have the wrong kick mic for that over head tambourine input. Or maybe there is to much comb filtering in homonymns, point is this is audio not a college English forum. What if you were from another country and you dont structure the sentences right wright rite. Exiled and off with their heads is that it. This is the lounge lets not get all over professional to show off to those who dont care how you spell. Not everyone goes to college and I have seen money wasted on some that did, and came out dumber than they went in but with a piece of paper that says I'm smarter than you. But maybe not smarter than a 5th grader. We have to deal with Please knock the door or one I saw today at the restaurant,  bathroom is closed to be clean. Or Jamins favorite, why you kick my dog he no bark you. Ahh South Texas.
Just trying to remember all the things I'll never know
Travis Watson
Laguna Sound

Dick Rees

« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2008, 09:20:39 PM »

Attention to detail is what sets the outstanding worker apart from the average.  Slipshod performance in any facet of the daily routine is indicative of a less than professional attitude. IMHO
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.