ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Your opion  (Read 15821 times)

Kevin Geen

• http://www.myspace.com/kevin_dj4u
Your opion
« on: October 08, 2008, 06:23:54 PM »

I am just curious to see what you guys think. I'm looking for opinions on what type of subs I should use. I basically DJ for crowds of 50-600 depending on the event and venue. I'm running EV eliminator on the top on my old school Peavey CS800. The big, 70 pound monster lol, and have a Peavey SP218 for the bottom on a bridged CE2000 amp. Although it fills a medium/small sized room, I know I need more.

I've been bumming around this site reading about all other subs out there, and i'm not sure if the Peaveys are right for me. But this is where I want your opinion. I am debating between another SP218, or I was looking at the Yorkville UCS1.

I was probably going to pick up the QSC RMX2450's, I figure I could run 2 UCS1's on 1 amp, or 1 SP218. For the music I play, it's mostly, 70's, 80's, rock, and hip hop. It's the majority of what I play. Any suggestions?

Kevin Geen

Re: Your opion
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 06:35:50 PM »

By the way, sorry if not all the right stuff is in the right spot, i'm still new on here.

Steve Hurt

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:00:11 PM »

My "opion" is that your signature line isn't going to win you any friends.

edit to add his signature line:
Quote:

Face the facts, there are just as many shitty sound techs as there are DJ's.

Kevin Geen

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 09:34:19 PM »

Sorry if my signature came out wrong, it was meant to be taken as, there are as many bad sound techs are their are bad DJ's, which I posted as one of the sound techs tied into our system at our club and trashed one of our compression drivers in our Martin WT3's. I wasn't a happy camper. I guess I forgot I had that as a sig. so sorry everyone.

Dave Rickard

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 12:28:13 AM »

The cheapest route is to buy another SP218.  
A better Peavey route would be two QW218's.

I haven't used the UCS1's, but threads indicate better results when two or more are coupled.  

I like LS808's too.

If you buy powered cabs, they'll have both proper power and limiting.

Just my thoughts...

P.S. your second sig is not spelled correctly yet.

Your second sig

If it's to loud, you're to old.
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 01:13:26 AM »

lol, i like the first signature better Smile

Go with the QW218 if you can find them used they will stand a bunch of abuse and put out quite a bit of SPL with any given power. I've said it before, i would go with 6-8 QW218s if i could do it all over again. The cabs get a LOT of respect around here and with a bit of tape they look like very professional cabinets.

http://www.cobrasound.com/files/Twins.jpg

-Josh

Kevin Geen

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:46:42 AM »

Well I guess I should have also said that being that I have to move everything myself, I dont want a ton of weight, and I think with the QW218, i'll need one hell of an amp rack to run 4 of them. I've already gotten 1 hernia lifting up a rack with a macrotech 5000, 2 macrotech 2400's, and 2 crown XLS 402's. And that's not a road i'm going down again lol. So I was hoping like with the UCS1's, that I could get away with running 2 subs per amp, so subs that are 8 ohms per cab.

Dave Rickard

Re: Your opinion
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 10:41:05 AM »

Kevin Geen wrote on Thu, 09 October 2008 07:46

Well I guess I should have also said that being that I have to move everything myself, I dont want a ton of weight, and I think with the QW218, i'll need one hell of an amp rack to run 4 of them. I've already gotten 1 hernia lifting up a rack with a macrotech 5000, 2 macrotech 2400's, and 2 crown XLS 402's. And that's not a road i'm going down again lol. So I was hoping like with the UCS1's, that I could get away with running 2 subs per amp, so subs that are 8 ohms per cab.

Your logic is correct.

Welcome to the LAB lounge.
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 11:48:02 AM »

Kevin Geen wrote on Thu, 09 October 2008 09:46

I dont want a ton of weight, and I think with the QW218, i'll need one hell of an amp rack to run 4 of them. I've already gotten 1 hernia lifting up a rack with a macrotech 5000, 2 macrotech 2400's, and 2 crown XLS 402's. And that's not a road i'm going down again lol.

There are plenty of lightweight amps available that sound great.  On the cheap, 2 peavey CS4080HZ will do a nice job of running 4 QW218's and not kill you with weight.  

Since you are a DJ I would expect you might like the sound of a dual 18 like the QW218 better than some horn subs.  That's not to say horns don't sound great and the UCS1 is a nice sounding inexpensive sub, but it has a different sonic character than some DJ's are accustomed to.

Kevin Geen

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 05:49:53 PM »

I mainly run sound at a club, we use Martin Audio WT3's for tops, have 4 of them, and 4 Martin Audio Ws2a's on the bottom. For live music they are excellent, but for when I DJ they are a little flat to my taste. I like the sound of the folded horn better since unfort, all the younger kids are into the hip hop BS that no one likes. And personally, I feel that the folded horns hit those lows better than front loaded subs.

I guess for me, it's just hard to find a sub that works really well in both situations. I love the sound of the TH-115's, but can't afford them on my salary as of right now. To me, when 4 are used, they hit fairly well with the kicks, and play smooth with the bass, but when DJing, they can play all the hip hop BS without sounding like they are breaking a sweat.

I guess that's really what i'm looking for, something that is like the best of both worlds. Do the QW218's fit that? I mean, my SP218 is nice for live music, but just doesn't seem to have the low end stuff for DJing, and that's set up at 42.5hz (18 BW dropoff)-80hz at a 12 BW dropoff, but it just doesn't seem to go that low. And this is set on a driverack PA.

And so we are clear, the club has its own system, and I have my own.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.