ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Your opion  (Read 15927 times)

Charlie Zureki

Re: Your opinion
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2008, 04:47:53 PM »

Randy Pence wrote on Sat, 11 October 2008 13:16

Well, the domain for both the lab and lounge is "prosoundweb.":p

However, if we are really going to go off on what is professional and what is not, if i had to choose between 2 engineers with equal ears and skill sets, I'd pick the one that wasn't so fucking anal retentive.  Yes, there are some common errors, but if they really annoy someone enough to question all of their abilities, ignore the user and enjoy the smugness of never getting their input.

Randy,

If it's my Sound Co. or My Gig, I'd pick the guy that IS anal retentive. Especially in LIVE Audio. Fun is fun, work is work, and stupidity or ambivalence should be left at the door.

As you and many others have stated, spelling and grammatical errors do happen, even to the highly educated "Professionals". Although the computer cannot correct for grammatical errors, it can, with a simple keystroke, correct for most spelling errors.

If a Poster has the ability to get to this site, they should have the ability to use the spell-checker.

The Op did offer an apology... but, it was phrased as a New Millennium, "non-apologetic"- apology. And, I'd guess that the OP's detractors that responded are "just plain tired of hearing" this method.

The greater majority of the Posters to this Site take Audio seriously, and that is what separates this Site from most others.

Serious people get serious answers. Blathering, drunken/high, or inconsiderate posts should get the same inconsideration.

Hammer

Be prepared, you'll need it!

Randy Pence

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2008, 06:10:21 PM »

I agree that posting in a coherent state of mind is a great advantage to users of the forum, but I doubt the OP is the first to come on here in a less than teetoller state, including users that we have collectively gained much from.

In a high pressure work environment, I prefer to have a team that is relaxed yet competent.  Semantics are not issues I want to worry about when getting a job done.  If it can be inferred that spelling errors result in sloppy work, I don't indulge in that.

Mark Hobbs

Re: Your opion
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2008, 01:10:04 AM »

I find it highly unlikely that spelling really was big deal to anyone here considering how easy it was to understand the errors of the OP.

My guess is that Mac Kerr has a big and fragile ego and his way of stroking his ego and at the same time building up his fragile ego was to debase the less literarily inclined. Other bandwagon bashers decided to jump in and take the side of our egotistical moderator to boost their own egos. This is not the first time Mac has made this kind of demonstration.

Cliff notes: Spelling is not likely the real issue here. Egotism is likely the real issue at hand.

Walter Wright

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2008, 02:04:42 AM »

Mark Hobbs wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 01:10

My guess is that Mac Kerr has a big and fragile ego and his way of stroking his ego and at the same time building up his fragile ego was to debase the less literarily inclined. Other bandwagon bashers decided to jump in and take the side of our egotistical moderator to boost their own egos. This is not the first time Mac has made this kind of demonstration.

Cliff notes: Spelling is not likely the real issue here. Egotism is likely the real issue at hand.

dammit, my stupid computer must have logged me onto harmony central by mistake again  Mad
Professional Guitar Repair Tech,
Semi-professional Sound Guy

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2008, 10:05:54 AM »

Mark Hobbs wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 07:10

I find it highly unlikely that spelling really was big deal to anyone here considering how easy it was to understand the errors of the OP.

Oh come on you guys...I'll sum this up issue by issue:

"Mr. Moderator bad guy":
The complaint about spell checker appeared here but I suspect it was more a matter of the "drop that made the glass run over" than any especially bad mistakes made by any certain poster in this thread.  AND i believe that no poster was mentioned specifically in the initial complaint about spelling.

Spelling/grammar:
No, it doesn't mean that you are unprofessional just because you are a sloppy speller, but after all, the "spell check" is right there and may be used for free, why not (I know I will get better at this from now on)?  There are written and unwritten rules on this forum and that is what quite possibly makes it the best on the web.  There are so many forums that have an "accept all and everything"-policy and after a while they just turn to hogwash, including all kinds of spam, trolling and writing in dialects that can hardly be understood.  So what if it means that posting here demands a tiny bit more effort than on most forums?  The payback is worth it!

One of the "big boys" and long time posters on here was recently made aware of the fact that it was sometimes difficult to read his posts.  His reply?  "That would annoy me to, I'll do better".  If he handles (polite) criticism this well (I really respect that), I'm sure our newbie OP can also.

Profanity:
My mother always told me "if you swear it means you are not smart enough to word yourself politely".  There are many smart people on here that swear unnecessarily, I don't understand why.  If at least semi-correct spelling is a requirement here, why not extent this to using generally courteous language?

Drunk posting:
Posting drunk is not a good idea for several reasons, although it doesn't by any means indicate that you would go to work drunk.  If I have, let's say, car trouble, and a buddy of mine gives me the phone number of his friend that I can call for advice while fixing my car, I certainly would make sure I was sober when I made the call - it's just respectful towards the person being asked for advice.

Flaming newbies:
Although newbies sometimes get a harsh welcome here (SOMETIMES too harsh IMO) I think "we newcomers" need to adhere to the rules here, written as well as unwritten.  Making this into a name-calling match is taking this nowhere - let's all say sorry and get back to play.

I'm kinda hoping this sums it up, actually - have a nice day everyone Razz

Edit:  Spelling:  too/to
Edit:  Spelling g should be f

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2008, 10:36:04 AM »

Mark Hobbs wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 00:10

Mark,

I've never met a "Professional" Sound Guy with more than 10 years of experience that didn't have some degree of an Ego.

But, I believe you're confusing Ego with the No-Bullshit, straight forward, attitude that many of the responders have displayed on this thread.

These posters that you and some complain of, have "made their bones", sweating, bleeding and making their living from the Professional Sound Reinforcement business for many years.

These "Egotists" as you claim, have learned from the long-hour days, the disorganized Events, the inexperienced or inept Producers/ Promoters, that have made stupid mistakes, stupid changes, or the "OOPs Omissions" over many hundreds or thousands of Gigs over the years.

They have learned that in their day to day work, they have little time trying to decipher blatherings, or the unclear ramblings of the people around them. IT MAKES MORE WORK FOR ALL INVOLVED, when a conversation is NOT CLEAR.

The requests of the many is simple in this FORUM:

1.) GET TO THE POINT
2.) Include all important Information
3.) USE A REAL NAME when registering
4.) Use the spell-checker

These are simple requests and apply to everyone. If a Poster respects the opinions of the Forum enough to ASK questions, the Poster should reciprocate by showing respect when Posting.

It's really very simple. To shift the blame of a lazy poster, while calling someone an Egotist is just lame.

Finally, I'm certain Mac can defend himself and this Forum's position without my help.

Hammer  

Be prepared, you'll need it!

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2008, 01:21:37 PM »

You are correct that this is not the first time I have made this point, I doubt it will be the last either. I'll assume you left the misspelling in your post to make a point.

Mac

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »

My guess is that Mac Kerr has a big and fragile ego and his way of stroking his ego and at the same time building up his fragile ego was to debase the less literarily inclined.

Other bandwagon bashers decided to jump in and take the side of our egotistical moderator to boost their own egos.

Please tell me this is some sort of joke. Rolling Eyes

You are jumping to conclusions about people who you've probably never met, and then posting things that are the equivalent of burning a bridge.....

I don't need to defend Mac, my point is not that.  My point is that the pro sound industry is not a very large community relatively speaking.  If you have something against Mac or the other posters, that's fine - you are entitled to your opinion... but voicing that on a public forum read by a good percentage of pros in the industry is not doing yourself any favors.  Be careful what you post lest it come back to bite you later.

Mark Hobbs

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2008, 04:24:06 PM »

Walter Wright wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 01:04

dammit, my stupid computer must have logged me onto harmony central by mistake again  Mad

Your brand of sarcasm isn't very professional. That may not sit so well with some people, myself not included.

Mark Hobbs

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2008, 05:02:56 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 12:21

You are correct that this is not the first time I have made this point, I doubt it will be the last either. I'll assume you left the misspelling in your post to make a point.

Mac

For amusement purposes I copied, pasted and spell checked that message. Mind you, I did not spell check when I originally posted that message. Two words came up as misspelled. One was bashers which is slang anyways and the other was literarily. Interestingly, literarily exists in my dictionary (printed) and it is in dictionary dot com. It is a related form of literary and it is an adverb. So, either something isn't right with the spell check or something isn't right with my dictionary.

I did not leave any misspellings with the intention making a point. In fact, there were no misspellings.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.