ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Your opion  (Read 15931 times)

Kevin Geen

• http://www.myspace.com/kevin_dj4u
Re: Your opion
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 04:55:07 PM »

well all I am saying, I did admit that I was drinking when I posted it, and yes I did make a mistake. Doesn't give everyone the right to jump on me for it. You could tell me how to edit it since i'm new on the forum, and don't know how to do everything, rather than shoot me down. How difficult would that be?

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 05:02:40 PM »

Kevin Geen wrote on Fri, 10 October 2008 14:55

well all I am saying, I did admit that I was drinking when I posted it, and yes I did make a mistake. Doesn't give everyone the right to jump on me for it. You could tell me how to edit it since i'm new on the forum, and don't know how to do everything, rather than shoot me down. How difficult would that be?

View your message and click the "Edit" button. You get twenty-four hours to edit before it becomes permanent. Edited messages will be marked as updated with a date.

By the way, Firefox will underline words with questionable spelling. Right-clicking on the word will show a list of possible correct alternatives and also let you add words to your dictionary.

SteveKirby

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 08:44:38 PM »

Kevin Geen wrote on Fri, 10 October 2008 06:37

No idea why people have to be such assholes on this forum. So I made a spelling mistake or two, big deal. All I can say, grow the fuck up, we all make mistakes, live with it.

The regulars on this forum are professionals.  And conduct themselves as such.  Saying "I was drunk" is not an acceptable excuse in a professional endeavor.  If I forgot the chords to a song, or missed a cue in SR (or make any number of more egregious errors) and tried to pawn it off with "I was drunk, it's not may fault, you should cut me some slack".  I'd get some slack alright.  Right into the "we found someone else we can count on" unemployment line.

If you want to be taken seriously by serious folks, it helps to conduct yourself as professionally as possible.  And swallowing hard when you do something wrong and it gets pointed out.  Lashing back out is biting the hands you hope to be fed by.

It takes some time to build up some working respect on any forum.  I'll never understand folks who barrel in, guns blazing.

Kevin Geen

• http://www.myspace.com/kevin_dj4u
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2008, 10:03:43 PM »

well I told you my fault, and not denying that I made a mistake. I'm just here to learn from previous experiences of what people have seen/done. That's it. Sorry if I sounded like a jerk, but people could have cut me some slack. I just DJ and am a FOH engineer on the side. I won't say what I do for a real job, but I am very professional, in a very high stress job, as in dealing with lives of people. So, not using it as an excuse, I do sometimes drink after work to help relax.

I am just here to gain knowledge of what people have experienced and want to help build up my knowledge in this area. So i'm sorry if it bothers you, but that's what i'm here for, i'm not here to fight against anybody. So why don't we get back to the original subject from what I was first asking.

Mark Hobbs

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2008, 01:43:49 AM »

SteveKirby wrote on Fri, 10 October 2008 19:44

The regulars on this forum are professionals.  And conduct themselves as such.  Saying "I was drunk" is not an acceptable excuse in a professional endeavor.  If I forgot the chords to a song, or missed a cue in SR (or make any number of more egregious errors) and tried to pawn it off with "I was drunk, it's not may fault, you should cut me some slack".  I'd get some slack alright.  Right into the "we found someone else we can count on" unemployment line.

While providing sound may be a "professional endeavor" for some people here, asking questions here is hardly such an endeavor. Being drunk and making big screw-ups while on the job behind a mixer or on stage playing guitar is not at all like being drunk and making spelling errors on an internet forum.

Being careless on the job matters. Being careless on a forum matters very little unless you are a dealer here with something to sell, a manufacturer with something to sell and promote etc. etc. and we all know both are present.

The folks on here with nothing but questions to ask and advice to give have little to nothing to lose here.

Caleb Dick

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2008, 09:19:38 AM »

Mark Hobbs wrote on Fri, 10 October 2008 22:43

Being drunk and making big screw-ups while on the job behind a mixer or on stage playing guitar is not at all like being drunk and making spelling errors on an internet forum.

The assumption made by most is that one is a professional and detail-oriented in all aspects of their life, especially any/all interactions with others (in person, phone, online, PSW, et al).  Since talking in person is often not likely, other things like spelling and grammar are an 'indicator' of wider professional dealings.  

A misspelling or two on the internet is not a huge deal; what is a big deal is giving the public the impression that one is careless as an individual, and gives a negative impression of the poster, their employer/business, and the industry as a whole.

Caleb
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Scott Deeter

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2008, 12:39:38 PM »

I guess this is the way to break in a newbie, but c'mon everyone this is the LOUNGE, not the LAB. According to my count, the last 25 now 26 replies (with mine) have nothing to do with the true topic at hand. I guess I felt the need as did with the last 24 replies to reply to the "New" topic at hand (The use of using the fucking spell checker). How many times have I read about adding noise to the board with wasted bandwidth since 1999 (when I joined originally) with all being asked in a nice way to help reduce it. Then we have this, that seems to show in multiple posts.

Hmm, talk about being Professional, I've also noticed the use of foul language being used a little more lately (as I have used above). Since when has the use of "Fuck" or Fucking" been Professional in a post or reply though it seems to be accepted in most of the forums that I've read Rolling Eyes

Since the Spell Checker seems to be an important factor now days, is anyone willing to go up to the LAB with copying and pasting all the posts in word and make replies for every post that has a mispelled or misused word with correcting whom ever the post or reply was made by Razz

Regarding "My" thoughts, I read a post or reply and if I can understand it, I'll then make a suggestion or to help in any way I can. I do it without putting it under a magnifying glass or running it through a spell checker first.

Fuck It, I'm posting this "As is", I don't feel like going through the spell checker to see if and then questioning myself on which words it gives to use. Hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to say (write) Rolling Eyes
Take care,
Scott Deeter

Scott Deeter

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2008, 01:23:45 PM »

Since I'm still in a shit mood, I thought I'd bring this to the attention of some here regarding the Professional aspect of the site in general. The LAB was intended for the "Pro's" with the LOUNGE created more for the newbies & weekend warriors to help reduce noise in the LAB for the Professional's. I guess nubers don't lie or when seen makes a difference. Since the LOUNGE was created for us little guys, why are those trying to make it like the LAB, when there IS a place for the true professional?

Maybe when and if we reach the Professional state (as some have done), we then should be Professional in all aspects of life. Using words correctly and again using that fuking spell checker, but I don't think the Professional should need the spell checker as they should already know how to communicate in the Pro and correct manner already, as was mentioned.

Looks to me like the down under's have the ball rolling mostly.

index.php/fa/18381/0/

Take care,
Scott Deeter

Tom faderjockey Brandis

• http://myspace.com/tmbrandis
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2008, 01:30:41 PM »

Well said Scott.

Tom

Randy Pence

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2008, 02:16:21 PM »

Well, the domain for both the lab and lounge is "prosoundweb.":p

However, if we are really going to go off on what is professional and what is not, if i had to choose between 2 engineers with equal ears and skill sets, I'd pick the one that wasn't so fucking anal retentive.  Yes, there are some common errors, but if they really annoy someone enough to question all of their abilities, ignore the user and enjoy the smugness of never getting their input.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.