ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: using a mix of cabs for foh  (Read 4311 times)

scott schick

using a mix of cabs for foh
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:00:53 PM »

I have been approached by a small festival organizer to submit a bid for a show. I have not seen the rider as of yet and I don't think they have a contract, but for example purposes....in recent years they have had molly hatchet, firehouse, survivor, kentucky headhunters.
My current inventory consist of
8 EV MTL 1
4 EV MTh 1
4 JBL SR4732

I rent power...qsc pl-4.0's

the band plays on a 24' wide stage with sound wings about 5' high. The area consist of a city block with tall buildings on each side. I obviously am not ready to give a bid without a rider, but Before i waste his time I am asking you guys if the equipment I already have will fill the bill?

Luke Sheridan

Re: using a mix of cabs for foh
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 09:44:12 PM »

Since you have to ask, I doubt it, what is the rest of your system?

scott schick

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 09:57:24 PM »

Yamaha Mc 2408 and MC 2408m boards. DBX233 xover. dbx eqs, yamaha rev and delay. EV fm1502er and older yammy wedges. horizon snakes and cables. sennheiser 835's, audix d series, 57's 58's, country man DI's, ...

Can the EV and JBL tops be used together? that is the mth 1 and sr4732's.

A Thomas Lamb

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 10:44:13 PM »

I doubt you will be able to fit the riders with the consoles you have to offer. I think for one you will need a higher channel count for 2 probably at least a console with VCA's and more mixes in monitor land. Also bi-amped wedges. The mth's and the sr 4732's are not going to match up very well either. Why dont you own power for your own system? Do you also rent distros and power cables? What about lighting? Most of the time for a show like that the PA provider supplies 40-60k of cans!
Thomas Lamb
A1 Orlando Production

Daniel Nickleski

• http://www.soundworkspro.com
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »

You will not be able to cover riders for the artists you mentioned with the gear you have. And I would not recommend mixing FOH cabs.
Daniel Nickleski
soundworksdan@mac.com

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 11:02:43 PM »

scott schick wrote on Mon, 06 October 2008 18:57

Yamaha Mc 2408 and MC 2408m boards.

No touring guy will accept a Yamaha MC2408.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

scott schick

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 11:21:57 PM »

Why do I rent...?

I do 2 to 3 shows a year with this system...$50.00 per amp! Sure beats 1,500.

The Board?

I realize the board is short...I have priced a 50 midas(can't remember the model) and a split snake $500 for the weekend. I looked at what the provider had to offer this past year and they where using jbl sr monitors..nothing special going on on stage. 4 mixes plus side fill.

scott schick

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 11:27:26 PM »

I have not had any trouble with the mtl and 4732 stack? Is there some particular reason that got mentioned? imho the mth and mtl sounds empty together compared to the jbl tops, and they are supposed to be made for one another.

Micky Basiliere

• http://www.mbsoundco.com
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »

I think the Consoles are a little small. At least a 32 would be better,and the Yamaha's you have are a bit "rider unfriendly" I just did Starship and they didn't love my GB-8/32!? (although i do..) Smile
Micky Basiliere
www.mbsoundco.com

Jason Dermer

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 12:05:11 AM »

After reading through this thread, I would suggest the following:

Hire a provider that is competent, insured, and able to do a show at this level and  set yourself up with  a commision for getting the company the work. Then work with such said company from start to finish- listen in on the phone while they advance, prep the rig and load the trucks, deploy the rig, pin the stage, so on and so forth. You may even be able to mix an opener. Smile

You'll gain some great experience, and more than likely walk away thinking how glad you are that you did not try to pull it off yourself.
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

scott schick

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 12:22:06 AM »

I will continue to lurk here, read and learn...I was told a year ago by many in the biz that I could not pull off a similar show...I got it done! My original question was about the tops...I have the crew in place. I own the company and use these forums to consider my options. The provider they have been using does a fine job and I have already asked the festival why they were looking elsewhere...his reason is the fact that we are local and has seen what we have done at another local festival. I have already expressed to him that I thought the other company does a fine job and to keep us in mind in the event something goes wrong.

so, with that being said. My idea was to fly the mth on the front truss to help coverage. There is usually about 1500 people who show up and all in lawn chairs. I already know where my short comings are. I appreciate all the replies and thanks for the warm welcome.

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 11:04:10 AM »

Here's my take on it. As far as the EV/JBL mix goes. I think the BE will freak if he walks in and sees different model and make cabinets stacked together for FOH. A way around this would be to use the EV's for the mains and the JBL's for some delay towers. While this arrangement may not be rider friendly, it is a much easier pill to swallow than having a mismatched set of mains...

Also, consider the monitor situation. These older classic rock bands are hard on monitors. They are usually quite deaf at this point in their carreer. If you can't provide some absolutely stupid loud wedges and sidefills, consider renting a monitor rig. I'm not kidding here. We're talking painfully loud wedges for these acts.

HTH....
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.