ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Advice Needed  (Read 8786 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: Speaker Advice Needed
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 11:43:26 AM »

I'm sure it does. Thanks for your input. I'll bear that in mind next time I'm tempted to ask a question.
I would vote for a pair of 1x12" over subs (all powered).

The JBL PRX line is fairly inexpensive, and is quite potent.  It is also pretty light and easy to setup.

I have heard issues with Mackie's with respect to reliability.  The QSC's react poorly when driven hard.  I have not heard the Yamaha DSRs or the new EV ELX's.

Good luck!

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 03:29:25 PM »

I would vote for a pair of 1x12" over subs (all powered).

The JBL PRX line is fairly inexpensive, and is quite potent.  It is also pretty light and easy to setup.

I have heard issues with Mackie's with respect to reliability.  The QSC's react poorly when driven hard.  I have not heard the Yamaha DSRs or the new EV ELX's.

Good luck!

+1 I've owned the Mackie SWA1501 / 1801 and we have had a number of units fail on us... utter crap unlike the SRM kit which we just cant seem to break .........

The PRX kit is lovely for sure but the RFC active subs do take some stick and are lighter and smaller.

chuck clark

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 06:32:19 PM »

Ya, this has been beat to death a couple times hasn't it? The boiled down synopsis:
SRX  JBL
QRX  EV
TXD  Turbo (or other brands of comparable spec)

Why? Big enough voice coils to punch in bigger rooms yet not to big or heavy to carry in a minivan for smaller gigs. Add subs and they can do a surprisingly decent job even in a big room.
Happy sailing!  Chuck

Scott Bolt

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »

+1 I've owned the Mackie SWA1501 / 1801 and we have had a number of units fail on us... utter crap unlike the SRM kit which we just cant seem to break .........

The PRX kit is lovely for sure but the RFC active subs do take some stick and are lighter and smaller.

RCF powered speakers have a good rep with several people I have spoken to that have them.  They do tend to be a bit more expensive vs say JBL, EV, Yamaha, QSC, in the same class.

Reguardless of which system you pick, a 1x12" over subs all powered is a very decent and powerful system these days.  I think that for the majority of weekend warriors, these systems provide the absolute best performance for the dollar that you can get as well as being the most affordable MI option.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »

Ya, this has been beat to death a couple times hasn't it? The boiled down synopsis:
SRX  JBL
QRX  EV
TXD  Turbo (or other brands of comparable spec)

Why? Big enough voice coils to punch in bigger rooms yet not to big or heavy to carry in a minivan for smaller gigs. Add subs and they can do a surprisingly decent job even in a big room.
Happy sailing!  Chuck
The SRX JBL's are not powered, but they as well as the other speakers you mentioned are a step up (IMHO) from the powered speakers as follows:

JBL PRX
Yamaha DSR
QSC KW
EV ELX

If you have the money and don't mind the additional setup, a good digital crossover, a few good amps, and some SRX tops and subs will cover a decently large venue (3-500) and sound very good doing it.

This setup will cost quite a bit more and would require quite a bit more carrying and setting up.

Since I am just a weekend warrior (and not every weekend at that), I am thinking of going all powered to simplify my setup and lower the amount of carrying the band has to do.

If this was something I did for real money, I would go SRX.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 12:04:09 AM »

I use a pair of QSC K12s with a pair of KW181 subs.
I first used them with the K12s on poles (the K&M adjustable ones are nice) over the subs but the power alley made for very uneven bass in the room and particularly on the dance floor.
Last couple of times I stacked the 2 subs on one side with a K12 on a pole over and just put the 2nd K12 on a speaker stand. Worked great and pounded good.
One thing to check when you use them though... I found (the hard way) that handling the subs can switch the polarity switch on the back and with one switched they don't perform well :-) So, always check the switches before the show!
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 06:36:43 AM »

I use a pair of QSC K12s with a pair of KW181 subs.
I first used them with the K12s on poles (the K&M adjustable ones are nice) over the subs but the power alley made for very uneven bass in the room and particularly on the dance floor.
Last couple of times I stacked the 2 subs on one side with a K12 on a pole over and just put the 2nd K12 on a speaker stand. Worked great and pounded good.
One thing to check when you use them though... I found (the hard way) that handling the subs can switch the polarity switch on the back and with one switched they don't perform well :-) So, always check the switches before the show!

I frequently do the exact same thing with K10's and the older HPR 181's. I can even increase the down tilt of the tops with balanced tilters, but the 7.5 degree built in can also be used.

I would also recommend checking all the rear panel options on both the tops and the subs. I haven't yet had a problem with polarity, but I have set them up and discovered the crossover settings were not what I expected. This was probably because i didn't remember how I used them last, rather than the settings getting changed in moving.
Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 06:36:43 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.