ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen & Heath iLive 144  (Read 32729 times)

Mike Palmer

Re: Allen & Heath iLive 144
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 04:11:19 PM »

None of you guys mentioned that the Cases are FREE!!!

any other console mfr. include the cases for free??

Are the  best you can buy UH NO.... but the price is great!!!
Michael Palmer
National Sales Manager
Allen & Heath USA
michael.palmer@ah-usa.com

Jim Duyck

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 11:33:53 PM »

cool.   Cool
~jim~

drewgandy

• http://gandymethod.com
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 05:06:03 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Mon, 06 October 2008 13:09

Nothing struck me as particularly heavy (both pieces in cases are an easy two man lift), but the stage rack does appear to have some sort of metal framework (steel? Aluminum?) surrounding it that could add some weight, said framework also appears to hold the rack rails.

Part of what makes digital consoles appealing is that they can be smaller and lighter; sortof.  I was hoping the smallest option of iLive would be capable of a one man setup.  I guess I'll have to check that out when I do an iLive demo.  

Thanks

drew

Peter Morris

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 07:56:27 AM »

I have the iLive80 on demo at the moment – and yes one person can set it up (provided that you don’t have to lift the mix rack). Last time I picked up an analog desk with that many functions it took 8 of us!  It’s absolutely ridiculous - such a small surface with 48 plus inputs.

What I have at the moment has 64 inputs + 16 out puts on the rack, with 16 in + 8 out on the surface.

You can’t use all of these with the 80 surface at the same time but you can configure 80 inputs and outputs however you like.

Currently it’s configured with 48 in + 8 x Aux &, LR on the stage rack with another 8 in on the surface. I also have LR, 8 x DCA’s, 6 x EFX, 8 x AUX on the surface…. and it looks not much bigger than an over grown Mixwizard!

I think part of the trick with the iLive is how you set the surface up.  I find that after using analog desks for so long that the AUX and EFX sends on the rotary knobs more intuitive than the fader flip option.

Peter

Mike Palmer

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 03:08:32 PM »

I have an iLive 112 and I can easily set it up by myself.. No problem.

It fits perfectly in a minivan too.

Michael Palmer
National Sales Manager
Allen & Heath USA
michael.palmer@ah-usa.com

John Chiara

Re: Things I Haven't Liked That Much So Far
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2008, 10:35:49 AM »

[quote title=John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Mon, 06 October 2008 12:04]
Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Mon, 06 October 2008 09:37

I am inclined to just stop boosting when saturation occurs, but this could prevent some EQ for effect (?), and you wouldn't want it to go back and un-tweak your EQ settings.  Most of my though was done in the context of a recording environment so I was thinking of a global lock after controls were set and tested for expected levels. A saturation detector with long hold time advised you if you hit the wall during a take.

The future hasn't happened yet so who knows, not me.

YMMV

JR

I am curious as to when a mix person needs to do a whole bunch of boosting anyway. I never encounter a mix where boosting much of anything helps..usually the opposite.

John
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Özgür ÇAKICI

• http://www.ozgurcakici.com/ozgur
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 04:08:02 PM »

I am a freelance. I use generally  PM5D or M7CL.
2 times i use the i144. EQ, comp-gate and also Fx's are better than M7CL! close to  PM5D.
Especially FXs, especially 480 is great.

But monitor mix are very hard, difficult. Also no flip mix mode Sad

Özgür ÇAKICI
Freelance Technical & Production Manager
Sound Engineer

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 07:08:14 PM »

-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Peter Morris

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »

Hi Bennett

I had an opportunity to watch a bunch of audio engineering students try to operate an iLive for the first time.

After that I reconfigured the console so that all of the Aux and EFX sends are on the Vpots.   I like this much better than the fader flip, and for a first time user it’s the way to go. I think AH should make this the default setting.

I put the L & R masters so they appear on every layer – It’s not really necessary but you can now see them no matter where you are - it seems to make people feel a little safer.

It now “drives” just like analogue console for FOH or Monitors - very simple and logical.

To further simplify things I  “fixed” the EFX return level and removed the return fade. The channel send is on the V pot and there appears to be only one EFX master on the fader. (There may be some issues with this approach if you are using groups instead of DCA’s – turn the group off and you will still have efx)

Peter

Ryan Garnett

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 10:58:40 AM »

In the digital domain is not everything represented by just a number? (or well a sequence of bits that represent a number). If that's the case, digital clipping occurs when you've reached the "biggest number" that the system allows. So ultimately, just make the "biggest number" even bigger and then you should have ungodly amounts of internal gain before clipping, and then at output time, just attenuate things back down to reasonable analog output levels. I suppose this would cost more, as instead of having say a 16 bit or 24 bit signal path, you might now need 32 bit and the components and such would be more expensive...but at least you'd have gobs of headroom right?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up