ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bailout?  (Read 23104 times)

Matt Collins

• http://www.UltraSonicDesigns.com
Re: Bailout?
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 13:38

Congratulations, you're a fucking genius. Nobody is as smart as you are.
No, I take my advice from professional advisers and read a lot on my own from people who are smarter or more educated than myself.

the family with two low-wage-earners and kids in school and the other things about modern life, and with possibly only a high-school education, will have the time to do all of this research? How will they even know where to begin?
Well starting with a proper budget and living on less than they make. Followed by getting out of debt and then investing prudently.

That rather proves my point. A kid whose parents are not financially literate won't learn at home, and the schools aren't teaching it, so unless the child is preternaturally curious about such things, he won't learn it.
Everyone is responsible for themselves. If people don't take the time to care or learn how to manage their own personal affairs, that is their own choice. But I should not be forced (at gunpoint) to pay for someone else's irresponsibility, laziness, mistakes, etc....

(A conspiracy theory suggests that the Powers-That-Be like this state of affairs. An uneducated populace allows said Powers to operate with impunity.)
Possibly and I tend to agree. But I would say that an inept government education system produces inept citizens. This is why government education should be abolished.

And so where does Joe Six-Pack go to find such an advisor? How does he know that the advisor isn't a crook?
He reads about the subject and educates himself so he has an idea of what he's talking about first. Libraries and book stores are available and last time I checked illiteracy is not widespread in the US.

How does he pay the fee when he's trying to pay the mortgage and keep food on the table? How does he take time off of his hourly-wage job to meet with the advisor who only works 10 to 4? Will that advisor take one look at Joe's assets and say, "I can't help you. Put your money into bank CDs" ?

Well there is such thing as saving up to pay for something. And the financial advisers I know all work on Saturdays precisely because of what you describe.

And the truth is that a fee-only adviser will talk with you but to being moderately serious investing you need about $50k saved up.

Hello? Haven't you been paying attention? How many people in this country CANNOT AFFORD health insurance?
How many of those people have cable TV, buy beer and cigarettes every week, and other such non-necessities?

Having a written budget and living below ones means is crucial.

How do you insure against a layoff?
Having 3-6 months of expenses saved up.

How do you develop savings when your salary is barely enough to cover expenses?
Have a second job, or get a better job, or live on less.

My point, which you of course missed, is that since you're so opposed to any government works for the public good, you should be pure about it and not use those works to your advantage.
If I wasn't forced to pay for them then I wouldn't use them, trust me. But since I pay for them I might as well. I am just trying to get my money back.

But it would be best if neighborhood roads were owned / maintained by neighborhood associations, and if highways were toll and user-funded.

And don't call a cop when someone breaks into your house.

Again, private security firms would be better off. Besides, police usually don't protect that just end up taking a report most of the time. And some of the time they don't even do that (like when my truck was broken into grrrrr  Mad )
******Freelance experienced monitor and FOH engineer. Based out of Nashville -- available for hire and willing to travel!******

Matt Collins

Re: An educated opinion:
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2008, 07:53:20 PM »

W. Mark Hellinger wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 11:39

To put the $700B bailout into perspective:  I believe the total US trade deficate with China 1998 thru 2004 was $683B.  IOW:  $700B pumped into industrial manufacturing would probably generate A LOT of jobs.
HA HA HA!

You meant to say deficit but it came out "deficate"  Very Happy  Laughing
Freudian slip?  Twisted Evil
******Freelance experienced monitor and FOH engineer. Based out of Nashville -- available for hire and willing to travel!******

W. Mark Hellinger

• http://www.audiopile.net
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2008, 08:09:48 PM »

Matt Collins wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 16:53

W. Mark Hellinger wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 11:39

To put the $700B bailout into perspective:  I believe the total US trade deficate with China 1998 thru 2004 was $683B.  IOW:  $700B pumped into industrial manufacturing would probably generate A LOT of jobs.
HA HA HA!

You meant to say deficit but it came out "deficate"  Very Happy  Laughing
Freudian slip?  Twisted Evil

That wasn't the intent.  I'll blame it on bad eyes and spell check.

My first mistake today was getting out of bed.

dave stojan

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2008, 08:37:30 PM »

W. Mark Hellinger wrote on Fri, 26 September 2008 01:09

The way my week's been going not only has that been my first mistake but the 2nd has been not going back to bed!

'Picked a hell of a week to give up sniffing paint  Laughing

Vote Quimby

Matt Collins

« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »

W. Mark Hellinger wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 19:09

HA HA. My first mistake was not GOING to bed... but my flight left at 5:40am and I had a late night Sad

Matt Collins

YOU owe WallStreet $3700+
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2008, 08:53:47 PM »

http://www.lp.org/files/invoice.gif

Like most Americans, I'm sure you were glued to the news about the "financial crisis" and the government's "fix" for the problem.  You probably heard that the government was going to come in and save the mortgage industry by bailing out failing corporations.  And, you probably heard both Barack Obama and John McCain say that this bailout was necessary, and good for the economy.

What you probably didn't hear was that it was going to cost up to $1 trillion dollars, and you were responsible for this money.

"American taxpayers will come up with the money," says the New York Times.

Such a number is hard to conceptualize if you're not the government. So, in order to show you just how much $1 trillion dollars really is, we've put together these figures:

One trillion dollars ($1,000,000,000,000) is enough money:

* To buy everybody living in Los Angeles at least one Lamborghini Gallardo.
   * To buy 88,052, 394' custom mega yachts; enough to stretch around ¼ of the world.
   * To buy everyone living in Belize and Malta a Manhattan apartment.
   * To get half of the Democratic Party into a fundraiser for Barack Obama at the $28,500 admission price.
   * To give one out of every two men in the United States a Men's Presidential Rolex watch.
   * To buy every woman in the United States a Tiffany Diamond Starfish Pendant.
   * To get two Mitsubishi 73" HDTVs for every household in America.
   * To buy four copies of The Office: Season Four on DVD, to every person on earth.
   * To send everybody in America on an all-inclusive vacation to Tahiti (and some people can stay a few extra days).

AND…

$1 trillion is enough money for everyone in Buffalo, NY to buy their own 65-acre island in Panama.

This is how much the government is going to cost you (roughly $3,278 for every man, woman and child in the United States).

Barack Obama is for it.  John McCain is for it.

But, Bob Barr and Libertarian Party are against it.

"No one voted to pour taxpayer funds into Wall Street," says Bob Barr, the Libertarian Party's presidential nominee, "and no one voted for the government to take over an insurance company.  If the Federal Reserve can spend as much money as it desires to bail out any company that it desires, is there anything that it cannot do with taxpayer funds?”

Who are you supporting this November?

The two parties who are asking you to pick up the tab for the mistakes of Wall Street? Or, the Libertarian Party, who says YOU, the taxpayer, should not be on the hook for America's mortgage crisis.

Please consider supporting the Libertarian Party today, so that we may be able to raise the alarm about this dangerous road the Republicans and Democrats have put us on.

When Barack Obama and John McCain come together to bail out these companies with YOUR money, you need a party and a candidate who says ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Send a message to Republicans and Democrats that you will no longer support individuals who think you're responsible for the mistakes of Wall Street.

Send a message to the only political party willing to stand up for you.

Send a message that you're ready for change.

Live free,

Andrew Davis
Director of Communications
Libertarian Party

Matt Collins

Re: YOU owe WallStreet $3700+
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2008, 09:04:18 PM »

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/TurdPolish.gif
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.