ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fluorecents on dimmers?  (Read 5200 times)

David Allred

Fluorecents on dimmers?
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:31:49 AM »

I know that you can't dim them, but can you use dimmer packs to power them up?
Is there any danger of damage to the (in this case) Elation UV Wash, or dimmer if dimming does occurs?  Or is it only a matter of.. "the light won't turn on until it's minimum voltage is reached"?
Are fast fades (up or down) OK?
Are chases OK?
ETC, ETC.  Any incite will be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Fluorecents on dimmers?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »

I know that you can't dim them, but can you use dimmer packs to power them up?
Is there any danger of damage to the (in this case) Elation UV Wash, or dimmer if dimming does occurs?  Or is it only a matter of.. "the light won't turn on until it's minimum voltage is reached"?
Are fast fades (up or down) OK?
Are chases OK?
ETC, ETC.  Any incite will be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Actually, one can dim fluorescent lights with special dimmers and lamp ballasts... but that doesn't mean you can dim the Elation.

Did you contact Elation?  They've got great customer support.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:13:13 PM »

For those interested here is a post from the Elation forum.  Very good, detailed answer why "Dimmer on" is not the same as "Switch on".

http://forums.elationlighting.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4741036491/m/8851041104?r=8211003104#8211003104

Thanks for the suggestion Tim.

David

Richard Turner

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:28:28 PM »

DP-640B can select dimmer or switch on any channel.
cyber pak can be all dimmer or all switch and be 1,2 or 4 channel dmx

you can find china made relay packs for less money
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Árni F. Sigurðsson

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:56:40 AM »

After reading this thread I started wondering, I have a Behringer LD6230 dimmer back, and according to it's manual it has a "switch mode", so anything over 50% it's Full on, and everything under 50% is off.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pdf/man/m_802024.pdf (chapter 2.1.5, under curves)

Could I use this feature to put a Mirror ball motor, fluorecent blacklights and maybe power up some LEDPars I have (we have a patch from the dimmer onto all the sockets above the stage, and currently don't have any AC to run into those sockets). If I had the ledpars on the Switchable channel I probably would not addres that particular channel to a board (just using the dimmer to power them)

any tought of that
Sound technician
Menningarfélag Akureyrar / Akureyri Culture Company
Iceland

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:58:44 AM »

As i said in the linked thread, even if the channel has a "switch "mode, unless is completely bypasses the SCR's then the current flow is not truely compatible.
I only have an old Sunnspot dimmer, so my plan is to buy a standard 10 amp AC relay and socket for each channel I need.   Let the dimmer trigger the relay and pass current from the wall outlet. 2 male plugs (one for dimmer, one for wall, 1 recepticle (female cable end), and 1 relay & socket would cost $15-$20.  Smaller capacity relays would be less.  Solid state would be less, but can induce noise. 
The method of packaging or safety measures taken would add cost depending....  For my needs, I would likely use electrical tape to cover exposed contacts and put it in an empty plastic tote (or similar).

David

Richard Turner

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 01:35:19 AM »

I have a few such devices

a deep range plug box is mostly large enough, has knockout holes,
square covers are readily available and easy  to attach a small clamp for mounting on truss

Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 01:35:19 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.