ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting my Labs this fall. Any advise from the pros?  (Read 13733 times)

Jared Scott

Re: Starting my Labs this fall. Any advise from the pros?
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 08:29:16 am »

The boss uses a QSC Powerlight 6.0 per block of 4.  If you can make it to Rockford this weekend, we'll have our LABs playing if you want to hear them.  We should have all 8 going.  Unfortunatly I wont be there for the shows as I have to work my day job, but I'm about to take off to go help set up.

Mario Data

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 07:03:05 pm »

PM sent Jared
JBL PRX535 over x2 PRX718s mains.  PRX512m monitors.  Studiolive 24.4.2 console.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ladd-Sound-Productions/1262500 32511?ref=nf

The Guy

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 11:08:08 pm »

We use a QSC PL9.0 per block of four.

-JB

Mario Data

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 09:41:02 am »

Do you run the QSC in stereo 2 per channel or wire in series and bridge the amp?  What kind of ohm load do you get if 2 Labs in parallel?  I've heard someone say they end up being 6ohm cabs each.
JBL PRX535 over x2 PRX718s mains.  PRX512m monitors.  Studiolive 24.4.2 console.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 11:50:48 am »

Mario Data wrote on Sun, 28 September 2008 09:41

Do you run the QSC in stereo 2 per channel or wire in series and bridge the amp?  What kind of ohm load do you get if 2 Labs in parallel?  I've heard someone say they end up being 6ohm cabs each.

The drivers are 6 ohms each, so in a "normal" parallel wiring you would have 3 ohms (depending on freq).

However with typical horn loading the impedance presented to the amplifier will be higher.  How much depends on the particular loading involved.

The impedance load per cabinet will also change depending on how many cabinets you use.

I have not seen an impedance curve of the labs, so if you plan on 4 ohms/cabinet as an amp load, you will be fine.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Mario Data

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 03:32:02 pm »

Ok so are you running your amps at 2ohms or wiring in series?

The Guy

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 07:12:53 pm »

2 cabs per channel, parallel.

-JB

Mario Data

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 09:24:05 pm »

So that would be 2 ohm load per channel.   I don't like to run my amps that hard.  I'll probably stick with one pair per amp in stereo.  Thanks for the input.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 09:30:35 pm »

Mario Data wrote on Sun, 28 September 2008 21:24

So that would be 2 ohm load per channel.   I don't like to run my amps that hard.  I'll probably stick with one pair per amp in stereo.  Thanks for the input.

Only if the cabinets are actually 4 ohms.  I threw out that number as an idea of what the horn loading could do to a pair of 6 ohm drivers.  

Without knowing what the actual impedance is, there is no way to know what the actual load is.  It might be higher.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

The Guy

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 12:38:17 am »

Mario Data wrote on Sun, 28 September 2008 21:24

Nonsense, maybe if you run wimpy amps.   The 9.0's will go all day and all night, as hard as you want.  We've had NO PROBLEMS doing raves and very, very loud rock shows with them running in this configuration.  Never missed a beat.  Your experiences should be similar if you select a good amp with adequate headroom.

Re: Ivan:  I think I recall something that Tom said a while back about the drivers in a cabinet presenting what most manufacturers would consider a "Nominal 4 ohm" load.  Either way, the 9.0's have had no problems in the least.

-JB

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.