ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting my Labs this fall. Any advise from the pros?  (Read 15912 times)

Mario Data

Starting my Labs this fall. Any advise from the pros?
« on: September 21, 2008, 09:45:01 PM »

Well, I can't take it anymore, I gotta hear the LAB sub. Since nobody has some near by I'm going to have to build a pair. Razz   I'm not really worried about the outcome since this sub has been designed by some serious professionals.  I was hoping that some of the veteran Lab builders could give me a list of do's and don'ts when taking on this project.  I'm eager to get started.  I'm thinking the Lab sub is going to a big jump up from my FR250Zs.  Thanks guys.
JBL PRX535 over x2 PRX718s mains.  PRX512m monitors.  Studiolive 24.4.2 console.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ladd-Sound-Productions/1262500 32511?ref=nf

Jeff Bailie

Re: Starting my Labs this fall. Any advise from the pros?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 11:20:17 AM »

I'm not a pro, But i would recommend reading all the content in this forum. I am almost done with 6. I have not had to ask any questions really. It's all here in the files.

P.S. West Systems Epoxy is amazing stuff. It in my opinion is worth the extra added cost.
index.php/fa/18019/0/
BooYaKahSha

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 01:13:43 AM »

You know what i like, is the PL Premium Adhesive. It's good for everything and it's strong as hell. Some guy did an experiement and the wood ripped apart (Before the glue)

Check it out

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/7738131/103956073.jpg

As far as finishing is concerned use the best you can afford. You REALLY get what you pay for when it comes to paint. I think the duratex stuff gets good reviews, but if you can afford it the LineX or Rhino Liner gets amazing reviews.

-Josh

Mario Data

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 07:44:39 AM »

Thanks guys this is the kind of tips i was looking for.   I think i have read just about every forum related to the Labs on here. Smile     I plan on having them Rhino lined, as we have a Rhino shop near by that can do a better job than me.
JBL PRX535 over x2 PRX718s mains.  PRX512m monitors.  Studiolive 24.4.2 console.

The Guy

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 08:20:34 PM »

Mario,

I used standard Titebond III wood glue on mine.  The wood will break well before the glue joint will.  If your cuts aren't quite perfect, the Liquid Nails Polyurethane or the PL Premium adhesive will fill the gaps better.  I disagree with the West System being worth the (significant) cost and (significant) extra effort (Mixing, etc.)  I used Titebond III on all 12 of mine that I built, and I can assure you that they're quite solid!

As for finish, mine are finished with standard black semi-matte paint.  They get a new coat about once a year and I think the look can't be beaten!  The more beat up and repainted that they get, the better they look   Very Happy.  A touch up is as easy as a quick paintbrush job.  Keep in mind that Line-X or Rhino is expensive and WILL get chunks out of it with any serious use, that will require a trip back to the bedliner place to get repaired.  I don't think it's at all worth the extra expense in the long run.

Also, as with ANY finish, the quality of the job is in the prep.  It should take you far longer to prep your cabs for paint (Bondo, Sanding, Edge Routing, etc) than it will to actually paint them.  Said finishing also is crucial with a spray-on bedliner project, as it will show any flaw on the box.  

I have 4 casters on the back of mine, and 14ga. steel grilles on the front, soon to be foam backed.  IMO that's also worth the effort, to keep debris out of the boxes and maintain a classy appearance!

-JB

Mario Data

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:40:35 PM »

I definitely agree with you about putting grills on the front of them. It really makes them look professional.  I still think a form of Rhino liner is the way to go.  I posted a topic about just that and it got great reviews.  I have a similar coating on my EAWs and it seems pretty indestructible.  These are just my opinions though.  Thanks for the response.

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 08:31:14 AM »

The Duratex paint is a good middle ground that's easy to touch up and not super expensive. Also sherwin williams has a paint that's supposed to be good too I forget the name. We also get mixed reviews about herculiner and consistently bad reviews about the duplicolor bed liner.

I thought about grills on mine, but i gotta say i like being able to stick things inside them. Put a couple boxes and some mic stands inside and roll em into the trailer Smile

-Josh Billings

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:24:11 AM »

Josh Billings wrote on Wed, 24 September 2008 07:31

Also sherwin williams has a paint that's supposed to be good too I forget the name.-Josh Billings

Polane-T water based.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Jeff Bailie

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »

Yeah, I don't want grills on mine. Then I wont be able to stick stuff in there. Like my head... But seriously. My friends used they're Labs at burning man. They blew drivers on a cabinet, when they got home and fixed them they found about 3 inches of playa dust in the throat. Under further invstigation all 6 had mass amounts of sand deep in the horns. Some even had sand in the sealed chambers. I kind of wonder if the sand had to do with the failure? I suppose g Twisted Evil rills are a must in some hellish terrain.
BooYaKahSha

Mario Data

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 08:16:42 PM »

I'm not really sure were to even get the grill material or what it will cost.  I'm wondering what everybody is powering their Labs with.  I'm pretty much a Crown guy so I was thinking xti4000 thats 1200 per channel at 4ohms.   Is this enough?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.