ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aren't some of you glad you opted to invest in gear?  (Read 7365 times)

Scott Smith

Re: Aren't some of you glad you opted to invest in gear?
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2008, 08:02:45 pm »

Mike Butler (media) wrote on Thu, 18 September 2008 08:18

ohh, I'm SOOO glad I've invested in gear, especially all those S-VHS and Betacam editing decks and other tape-related video gear....

For me, it is a stack of old iron Peavey CS1200 75lb/ea amplifiers that are now putting a dent in my garage concrete floor.   Very Happy  
But I made some investments last year and this that I couldn't be happier about.  I am busier now than ever..
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

Winston Gamble

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2008, 11:46:41 pm »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Thu, 18 September 2008 17:29

Lately stocks are on a similar trajectory. It is times like this when some external circumstance causes irrational selling across the board, that there are huge bargains out there for the brave with dry powder.

I am inclined to avoid the companies who were partying hardest with leverage. But oil won't stay below $100 for very long, and people will still buy toothpaste.

This is no replay of the 20's-'30s, in fact I think Bernake studied that economic breakdown in school and is an expert on that period so we won't repeat those same mistakes. That doesn't mean we can't find new mistakes to make.

I wish the politicians would stop talking down the economy for their personal benefit, they are not helping, and Barny Frank is still opposed to reducing the size of F&F. I don't know what it will take short of removal to re-educate some of those guys in congress.

It's painful right now but I'm looking for stuff to buy not sell. Note: I didn't own any of those funny companies (so far). I did own some F&F for less than a week but couldn't sleep, so sold it, but that profit was just luck not smarts, so many people were saying sell that the contrarian in me bought. When they finally crashed weeks later there were analysts saying buy.

As everybody runs for the exits, they're leaving money on the table, but there's danger in trying to catch a falling knife, so this is no time to mess with retirement money.

JR

I'm with you on it being a looking for bargains time, but I'm taking it very slow. I actually pulled another pretty significant chunk out of the broader market today on the big uptick as I'm not comfortable with the ever widening vortex. Some will go into an additional bet on energy, some will wait till I feel the financials might have reached the bottom (I don't think that's here yet.) and most will stay on the sidelines as I'm more focused on preserving capitol rather than increasing it in these messed up times.

Nothing wrong with having some dry powder. Winston

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2008, 10:11:51 am »

Well I made the mistake of checking out of WFC two days too early.  Whoops!

I'm ready to make some more purchases once things calm back down a bit too.

Maybe we need a PSW investment forum?  I nominate JR and Langston to moderate!

Jeff
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.