ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need recommendation for wireless lapel mics  (Read 4105 times)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Need recommendation for wireless lapel mics
« on: February 18, 2005, 05:27:10 PM »

Hello everyone,

We’re looking for a half dozen or so wireless lapel systems for our church school.  These will be used for drama productions – “kiddie theater,” as I like to call it.  Smile

Requirements aren’t particularly demanding, just something not prone to static or interference, and mics with decent clarity.  

I haven’t been given a budget, but I know these people don’t want to pay more than they absolutely have to.  So I’m guessing as far south as possible of $300 per unit, the better.

Also, we’re not averse to picking up some good used equipment, so recommendations don’t have to be current models.  I assume we want to stick to Shure, AKG, Audio Technica or Sennheiser?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

George Blun

Re: Need recommendation for wireless lapel mics
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 06:27:56 AM »

Have you looked at the Audio Technica 1400 series. I know that they cost about $300 plus the lapel microphone. There are several different lapels that you can get for it the cheapest one being about $50. The 1400 is also available in about a dozen different frequencies so that you can make sure your wireless aren’t interfering with other wireless. Check out http://www.soundideasales.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS& amp;Category=7 if they don’t have the lapel option listed that you’re after give them a call. They are great to work with and have great prices. I think this may be a great direction to go.

Hope this helps.

Tom Young

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 08:52:49 AM »

You are wasting your money in that price range.

Among other things, construction of these systems is paramount and especially when dealing with non-professional users.  Among those things that will fail when you spend too little is the cable between the mic and bodypack.  For all but the very experienced techs, these are non-repairable.

Depending on where you are geographically, you will need to determine whether you are in a high RF traffic area or not.  This will determine whether you need VHF or UHF and also assist you in frequency coordination.  

You also need "better than crap" microphones and should weigh whether to go with cardioid or omni mic elements.

In general, multiple wireless microphone systems are a huge task as far as maintenance, gain-befor feedback, user education and preparation.

Given your unrealistically low budget, I would advise you to rent from a reputable firm and not lowball this expense.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 05:23:53 PM »

At my church we use the Sennheiser Evolution G2 series with Countryman Isomax E6 headset microphones; they work and sound great.  The Sennheiser wireless sets run about $400 each; the Countryman mics are about the same; $800 or so for a complete set.

Dave Hudzik

• http://www.livewiresi.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 02:41:12 PM »

I agree with Tom, trying to buy cheap wireless mics will ruin your day.  

Even if you get one that doesn't interfere with anything the sound quality of the microphone as well as the built in processing (compression and gating and such) of the microphone will make you very disapointed.

I really only use Shure wireless, and a newer less expensive unit they have is the SLX series you can get the for less than $800
I sell Shure, Sennheiser, AKG, Nady and EV, so if you need more info or pricing just email!

Zach Brady

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 03:48:18 PM »

Shure has recentlt come out with their pgx series of wl systems they have auto feq selection done through ir. these r small not rack mounted units. THey also have a mid range price system named slx whic are rackmountable and have auto feq selection through ir or user programmable. These slx area nice little deal with freq and power lockouts. They are available with all shure handhaled models and lavaliers,shure also has a beta series of headsets that are fairly decent.

have fun,
Zach
"compression solves world hunger...well close"

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 03:01:18 PM »

This might be late, but hey, ill throw in my opinion.

The lowest priced unit I recommend would be the Audio Technica 3000 series. Good units for the cost (about 400) I would also recommend the countryman e6 at about 350. I have boughten these as a kit for south of 650 if you have a relationship with your supplier.

Otherwise you can always rent.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 03:01:18 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.