ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: It could be a great gig...  (Read 4793 times)

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Re: It could be a great gig...
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »

Scott Smith wrote on Thu, 18 September 2008 12:55

Ivan Beaver wrote on Thu, 18 September 2008 08:06

...They are not doing themselves ...a favor...

Well, that may not be completely correct.  "Interns" will often work in the radio business for "free" just for the exposure and experience.  I suspect that these "bottom feeder" workers are not only in love with the work, but will be able to get a "foot in the door" with this experience.

Aren't interns supposed to have proper supervision?

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 07:21:04 PM »

Matthew Whitman wrote on Thu, 18 September 2008 15:19

Quote:

Except a job at a Six Flags type place has been and should still be a place for teens to make money in the summer.

Would you please clarify this remark?  Are you suggesting that sixteen-year-olds should handle security, management, and maintenance of the park?

Not a comment I expected from a guy who lives in Vegas.

Actually, Steve's right. Back when I was that age, the Six Flags Great Adventure park in Jackson, NJ, was one of the more popular places for high-school kids to work. (I never did.)

Security, management and maintenance are obviously handled by year-round career employees. Things like running the sound system are probably considered by management to be perfectly fine for barely-trained high-school kids to handle.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Scott Smith

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 07:53:55 PM »

I ran some sound when I was in school...that was my start.
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 08:07:05 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Thu, 18 September 2008 19:16

Scott Smith wrote on Thu, 18 September 2008 12:55

Ivan Beaver wrote on Thu, 18 September 2008 08:06

...They are not doing themselves ...a favor...

Well, that may not be completely correct.  "Interns" will often work in the radio business for "free" just for the exposure and experience.  I suspect that these "bottom feeder" workers are not only in love with the work, but will be able to get a "foot in the door" with this experience.

Aren't interns supposed to have proper supervision?

-a

Of course they are.  Their supervisers are in the "front office" Laughing away from those pesky musicians Shocked  
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Steve Weiss

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 09:47:43 PM »

Matthew Whitman wrote on Thu, 18 September 2008 15:19

Quote:

Except a job at a Six Flags type place has been and should still be a place for teens to make money in the summer.

Would you please clarify this remark?  Are you suggesting that sixteen-year-olds should handle security, management, and maintenance of the park?

Not a comment I expected from a guy who lives in Vegas.

-Matt

Sure. I grew up in St Louis. When I was in high school in the early 80's kids worked at Six Flags over the summer. Yes The other 3 things you mentioned were run by year round guys who made more bucks and had families. Had one of those fellows in our church and he got lots of kids jobs there. I once in 1988 after leaving college interviewed for the audio job at the park. It paid 8.50 then. Consisted of ZERO mixing, and lots of baby sitting. I did not take the job as another offer came in. So it seems to me in 20 years nothing has changed.

Compared to this town now and the jobs it is 2 different worlds. Unless six flags has changed what they need ops to do.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.