ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: It could be a great gig...  (Read 4802 times)

A Man

Re: It could be a great gig...
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 07:27:32 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Tue, 16 September 2008 13:29

Just did that same gig 2 weeks ago Jon. The end results were not as favorable:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/37385/6178/

Evan

Sorry to hear that.  Razz

It was certainly no Vdosc / d&b / Milo rig and I had to make all kinds of tweaks on the Lake and console PEQ to get it where it was useable but I don't spend the majority of my gigs into the limiters as you do so that could be a factor.

Now that I have heard / used them I won't be adding them to my rider any time soon but in a install situation you just have to "run what they hung"

_______

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 10:48:37 PM »

Quote:

Was it the Coobrila show?
We did a fly date there.

The show I played in was not a one-off.  Although a separate entertainment company produced it, I was employed by the park.  I came in during the last month after they fired the original guitar player.  I believe we worked six days a week.

A couple of posters have made references to "babysitter" type sound guys who work at the park for $7.50-$8.25/hour.  While I understand this point of view, I remember our sound man doing a lot more than babysitting.  If I recall correctly he had to mix around 23 channels of audio.  He did a decent job, and I was floored when I learned they only paid him $7.50 an hour.

-Matt

Matt Vivlamore

• http://www.meerkatsound.com
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 08:11:34 AM »

Matthew Whitman wrote on Tue, 16 September 2008 22:48

Quote:

Was it the Coobrila show?
We did a fly date there.

The show I played in was not a one-off.  Although a separate entertainment company produced it, I was employed by the park.  I came in during the last month after they fired the original guitar player.  I believe we worked six days a week.

A couple of posters have made references to "babysitter" type sound guys who work at the park for $7.50-$8.25/hour.  While I understand this point of view, I remember our sound man doing a lot more than babysitting.  If I recall correctly he had to mix around 23 channels of audio.  He did a decent job, and I was floored when I learned they only paid him $7.50 an hour.

-Matt

I'd take that job at $7.50 an hour only under several circumstances.
- $7.50 is final pay after taxes
- They put a good amount of money into my retirement plan
- They give me a house, 3 bedroom 2 bath with a garage in a decent neighborhood
- My friends and family visits the park for free, they also get to eat and drink for free
- They pay for my insurance

But with that, I don't think they'll employee me to be a house engineer.

But at the same time, that kid could walk over to the McD’s and make $10 an hour flipping hamburgers.
Find us on the web at: meerkatsound.com

I'm using: EV QRx212 over JBL SRX718s(2) with Crown IT's and MRX512m & MRX525 on monitors with XTi's; all controlled by Yamaha LS9-32.  I have a bunch of other stuff too.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 08:34:03 AM »

I remember our sound man doing a lot more than babysitting.  If I recall correctly he had to mix around 23 channels of audio.  He did a decent job, and I was floored when I learned they only paid him $7.50 an hour.

-Matt

Yeah mix 23 channels is a lot more "work" than mixing 16 channels Laughing

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

_______

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 09:38:55 AM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Wed, 17 September 2008 07:34

I remember our sound man doing a lot more than babysitting.  If I recall correctly he had to mix around 23 channels of audio.  He did a decent job, and I was floored when I learned they only paid him $7.50 an hour.

-Matt

I've seen (and I bet you have, too) plenty of people who can't even achieve decent GBF with one microphone.  My whole point in starting the thread was to argue that a guy who possesses even a modicum of live audio skill deserves more than a poverty level wage.

-Matt

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 06:52:04 AM »

Matthew Whitman wrote on Wed, 17 September 2008 08:38

-Matt

I've seen (and I bet you have, too) plenty of people who can't even achieve decent GBF with one microphone.  My whole point in starting the thread was to argue that a guy who possesses even a modicum of live audio skill deserves more than a poverty level wage.

-Matt

Hello,

That's why Unions are popular.... not with some Management, but with the Workers.  Cool

Cheers,
Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 08:06:14 AM »

Matthew Whitman wrote on Wed, 17 September 2008 09:38

My whole point in starting the thread was to argue that a guy who possesses even a modicum of live audio skill deserves more than a poverty level wage.

Agreed 100%!  Audio seems pretty simple to those who do it, but there are many who think they can (and that it is simple  Rolling Eyes ) but have no idea. Laughing

There is a lot of responsibility placed on operators, and that needs to be compensated for.  Low wage jobs should be reserved for the type jobs that anybody can do-not skilled labor.

The sad thing is that audio is a "love affair" and you do it because you enjoy it, and many people will do it for dirt cheap-just to be doing it.  They are not doing themselves or anybody else a favor by doing so however.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Scott Smith

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 03:55:22 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Thu, 18 September 2008 08:06

...They are not doing themselves ...a favor...

Well, that may not be completely correct.  "Interns" will often work in the radio business for "free" just for the exposure and experience.  I suspect that these "bottom feeder" workers are not only in love with the work, but will be able to get a "foot in the door" with this experience.
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

Steve Weiss

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 04:19:09 PM »

Matthew Whitman wrote on Wed, 17 September 2008 06:38

-Matt

-Matt

Except a job at a Six Flags type place has been and should still be a place for teens to make money in the summer.

_______

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 06:19:19 PM »

Quote:

Except a job at a Six Flags type place has been and should still be a place for teens to make money in the summer.

Would you please clarify this remark?  Are you suggesting that sixteen-year-olds should handle security, management, and maintenance of the park?

Not a comment I expected from a guy who lives in Vegas.

-Matt
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.