ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: SB my xy on experience  (Read 61479 times)

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Re: Soundbridge XYON, my experience
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 01:22:05 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Wed, 03 September 2008 09:19

I'd be interested in knowing which 6 Flags property this was...

Evan said it was in Dallas.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Richard Rajchel

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »

My point is more that Evan didn't like the "rig", but is blaming the line array hang which is just one part of "the rig".

Maybe there was a problem with the processors...just because they were Dolby Lakes doesn't mean they couldn't have been setup wrong on accident, or that there is a malfunction in some wiring somewhere.

The thing that ticks me off(not just about this particular situation, but in general here) is that some people make such prejudicial negative statements about a product without barely a drop of information....like who actually tuned the system, are all the drivers operational, are they all in phase, are the processors all set correct, are they all set the same, and on and on and on. There are million variables in a properly tuned system of that size and to just make a blanket statement like "Soundbridge sucks" is irresponsible, unproductive, and possible damaging to their business through no fault of their design or "recommended" setup.

That stuff is right up there with the hundreds of "those mic pre's sound like crap" comments on this forum to me. If you can single out the difference of the mic pres in a soundcraft vs an Allen & Heath then good for you....just quit wasting my time by telling me what you think you hear, because there are 12 other pieces of equipment in the signal chain that could be causing the sound difference you THING you hear.

I have no doubt that the system Evan worked on probably sounded like hell compared to others he's worked on, but blaming that bad sound solely on the speakers is stupid period.

And just to clarify...I don't work for Soundbridge nor have they paid me to say this. It could be Nady speakers for all I care.

The spilled drink and digital snake comments were just examples of crazy stuff that could be wrong without your knowledge.

Edited for spelling
-Richard Rajchel

<a href="http://www.facebook.com/RiaxAudio" target="_blank">Riax Audio</a> - Helping bands sound their best!

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 02:28:10 PM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Wed, 03 September 2008 12:28

I might respect the opinion slightly if the person had a remote semblance of acoustic engineering experience, but the people that are making these comments are barely out of high school and know nothing of any engineering.

Yeesh, talk about making assumptions.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Ivan Beaver

Re: Soundbridge XYON, my experience-BUT-
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 02:39:58 PM »

Yes there may have been "something" wrong with the rig. BUT SOMEBODY thought that it was fine Shocked   Ie: system engineer.  Apparently the sound co thought it was "fine".

Back in my rental days, when an issue would "pop up" and I would be unable to deal with it show day.  In such cases, I would ALWAYS tell the band engineer about it, and how he could possibly "work around" it.  So that at least he was aware of the problem.

Evan didn't say anything about him being told any such thing, so we are to "assume" that the sound co "thought" the system was fine. Shocked

I think therein lies some of the problem.  "If you don't hear a problem, then we don't have anything to talk about".

I run into things like this all the time in installs that are "working fine" yet perform horrible due to bad design.  Somebody-at some time- said that "this" Rolling Eyes  was acceptable.  I wonder what street they are cleaning now Laughing .
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 03:09:59 PM »

Tom Manchester wrote on Wed, 03 September 2008 14:28

I might respect the opinion slightly if the person had a remote semblance of acoustic engineering experience, but the people that are making these comments are barely out of high school and know nothing of any engineering.

Yeesh, talk about making assumptions.

Silas,
Dude, you are digging yourself a hole via these last couple threads.....

The same thing happens in other markets, look at vehicles.  Somebody buys a car that has a problem and they tell everyone that "that car sucks", without necessarily knowing the specific details as to why that particular car had a problem.

Maybe the car sucks, maybe not.  It's an opinion.  If you want to defend the product, the best thing you can do is simply make it sound good when you run your own rig.   About the only thing at this point that would change Evan's mind would be to hear another Soundbridge rig that sounded great.

Richard Rajchel

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 04:59:50 PM »

let me ask this as a Devil's advocate kind of question...
Why is it a "Soundbridge: rig?

I could be a PM5D rig, or a Crown iTech rig, or a Dolby Lake rig, or a Sennheiser rig...

If it was in Dallas, how do we know that every air conditioner from El Paso to San Antonio wasn't on full blast and the power company couldn't supply what normally comes to that facility...or that the original engineers even specified enough power?

Millions of variables and one immediate conclusion...the speakers suck?????
-Richard Rajchel

<a href="http://www.facebook.com/RiaxAudio" target="_blank">Riax Audio</a> - Helping bands sound their best!

The Guy

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 05:01:04 PM »

Like "that horn looks too small, it has to be unsuitable, etc etc etc". I might respect the opinion slightly if the person had a remote semblance of acoustic engineering experience, but the people that are making these comments are barely out of high school and know nothing of any engineering.

Horn size is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of the laws of physics.  If you had any semblance of acoustic engineering experience, you'd know this already.  Manufacturers (and users) that think said laws of physics do not apply to their products are asking for trouble from day one.

-JB

Jim Duyck

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 10:56:52 PM »

if those 20 Soundbridge dual 18's were the basic 5218SW's, then I'd agree with being underwhelmed by them...we did a gig with 4 per side under a QSC Wideline rig and they were fairly lame...
~jim~

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 11:05:21 PM »

Jim Duyck wrote on Wed, 03 September 2008 22:56

if those 20 Soundbridge dual 18's were the basic 5218SW's, then I'd agree with being underwhelmed by them...we did a gig with 4 per side under a QSC Wideline rig and they were fairly lame...

The subs are the line array subs that go with the XYON system. They have the same funny woofer angles, and they aren't online yet.

FYI, the Soundbridge site hasn't been updated in 4 years, and all the spec sheets for the XYON stuff are preliminary (wrong). The new sheets spec Powersoft K6 amps, different crossover frequency, and different driver impedance, among other things.

Rick Stansby

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 02:34:02 AM »

Richard Rajchel wrote on Wed, 03 September 2008 13:59

let me ask this as a Devil's advocate kind of question...
Why is it a "Soundbridge: rig?

I could be a PM5D rig, or a Crown iTech rig, or a Dolby Lake rig, or a Sennheiser rig...

Because the speakers have a much bigger impact on the sound of the rig than any of these (except maybe microphones).  If it sounds great with a PM5D then it will sound great with a Mackie SR24 or a Heritage 3k.  If is sounds great with iTech amps it will sound great with (proper sized) QSC, Crown or Crest amps.  And so on.  
Rick
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 21 queries.