ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: SB my xy on experience  (Read 61212 times)

Tim McCulloch

Re: Soundbridge XYON, my experience
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 03:02:51 PM »

Adam Robinson wrote on Tue, 02 September 2008 13:34

How about putting the products side by side while playing Side by Side (by Sondheim).  

I'd enjoy that one.

As would I.

I can think of several Sondheim pieces with multiple, independent, vocal parts that could be very revealing.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

John Chiara

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 03:07:50 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Tue, 02 September 2008 15:02

Adam Robinson wrote on Tue, 02 September 2008 13:34

How about putting the products side by side while playing Side by Side (by Sondheim).  

I'd enjoy that one.

As would I.

I can think of several Sondheim pieces with multiple, independent, vocal parts that could be very revealing.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

"Joahnnaaaaaa..."
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 09:24:50 PM »

Evan, I was just thinking. This rig is really hard to mess up. Literally no EQ is needed in the DSP for tunings...the rig is natually flat except for the CD horn EQ. I have seen the Smaart plots to prove it, from every gig. The rig is flat from 125Hz to 16kHz +/-3dB right out of the box. That's in the far field, and it doesn't matter if it's a straight array or if it's max splayed. Either the rig you were on was half blown, half disconnected, or someone doesn't know how to use Smaart for the locked-out system EQ, or your ears need some EQ.

Alfred_Mapanao

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 11:44:57 PM »

So Evan, Is there any rig you haven't bashed yet besides your EV QRX?
 I no longer want to participate in a forum filled with newbies and ego-maniac know it alls. Please delete me from this forum.

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 12:03:54 AM »

Alfred Mapanao wrote on Tue, 02 September 2008 23:44

Sure!

-EV: XLC, X-Line, X-Array
-d&b: Q series
-L'Acoustic: V-Dosc, dV-Dosc
-Meyer: Milo
-EAW: KF850, KF760, KF730, KF650
-Peavey: Versarray, QW
-Community: SLS series

And thats just a few off the top of my head. I love when manufacturers get it right and make a good sounding product. SoundBridge has yet to do it, IMO. Physics applies to everyone...

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Richard Rajchel

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 01:00:54 AM »

Without you being the engineer that actually setup this rig and had been able to test out all the drivers, amps, and DSP settings it's pretty harsh to make broad judgments about just the speakers. Like someone mentioned earlier...maybe half of the boxes were blown, or out of phase, or amps setup wrong, not aimed properly, etc...

I would think you could hang 12 of just about anything per side and get usable sound as long as they are properly powered, processed, and pointing relatively close to where they should be.

It could be they were using a digital snake and the run was too long, or any number of crazy possibilities(someone spilled a drink on the console at the previous show that board did, etc....).

-Richard Rajchel

<a href="http://www.facebook.com/RiaxAudio" target="_blank">Riax Audio</a> - Helping bands sound their best!

Drew Curtis

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 01:11:21 AM »

Adam Robinson wrote on Tue, 02 September 2008 11:14

Any rig can be set up to sound bad - it's been a big discussion point amongst my friends lately... One who came across an awful sounding Nexo GeoT rig, another who just mixed on a horrible sounding MICA rig that is part of a "professional install" by a reputable company, and my experience last summer at a world-class festival mixing on a very large and very horrible dVDOSC rig.  The difference is:  if L'Acoustics found out that their rig sounded *that* bad, they'd take it back!  The other manufacturers mentioned would be just as disturbed.  

Nonetheless, my experience with Jim leads me to trust his judgment and he trusts Evan's judgment, so I won't write his experience off.  At the level of shows his band is doing, he should have decent control of production and I bet he'll never have one of those systems on one of his shows again.  Unfortunately, we all only get one first impression, and that's probably my most important point in all this rambling.

Would you mind sharing where? I mixed on a dVDOSC rig at summerfest milwaukee on the same stage 07 and 08, this year sounded remarkably better.

Adam Robinson

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 02:07:46 AM »

I think although Richard is making a good point, it doesn't get around a larger one: the first impression point.  Evan is likely to never hire this system, ever.  Nor is Jim.  Frankly, nor am I.  The opinion of trusted colleagues carries weight.  

For instance, when I was coming up on a show with an A-Line line array, none of my trusted colleagues had been on one.  Since there was enough rig for the gig, I said I'd give it a go... never again.  I had a horrible time with this rig.  A friend of mine about two months later came across a proposal for someone to bring this rig for one of his shows.  He called me, I told him my experience, and he hired another rig.

On the other side, a trusted friend can save a bad rig.  It's just like my friend with the bad MICA experience.  We actually talked about it on the phone again today and I told him not to write it off and  promised him that MICA is a great rig.  I had a ton of meyer boxes on a tour this summer where MICA was not the main box and it regularly showed the others up!  It doesn't sound like any of Evan's trusted peers are gonna back this rig up, unfortunately.

And Drew:  it wasn't Summerfest, although I was there this year.  I was out on another tour and a good friend was mixing my band there on the same night on that dV rig.  He said it sounded pretty good, but there just wasn't enough horsepower.  Looking at the tech specs for that stage versus the others, I wonder if that's the one that got added at the last minute when everything else was out of the shop already!

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 08:16:10 AM »

Alfred Mapanao wrote on Tue, 02 September 2008 23:44

You know what's funny? I love my QRx/Growler combo rig, but our friend panned the Growlers, and loves his QRxs, so opinons are like, well, you know, everyone has one, so lets call it a day.  Very Happy

Mike
Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 11:27:22 AM »

Look at the box... It's one of the largest 2" drivers around on a short / small horn running down to 600hz (and supposedly there are options to run it lower). How well can it be expected to load down there? Who knows but the designer?, I can only speculate that it is not all that well.

Then you couple that with 2 8" drivers in something called "horn loading" and expect them to run with a driver rated to the high 140db's. It's no wonder that the rig sounded "thin." I can't fathom that while Tom Danley needs to load more MF and LF drivers in fairly  large horn to get it to keep up properly, that Sound Bridge has found a way to place drivers at odd baffle angles in a nearly front loaded configuration and attain the output needed to keep up with a large 2" driver. In my limited experience I have not found boxes with small LF drivers to perform well at the lower end of their bandpass to, regardless of horn loading. The Community SLS920 loads it's 8" LF drivers on what I would consider to be more of a "true" horn and even they are only good down to 120-150hz when you have multiples of boxes for LF summing.

Perhaps with all the trademarks™ soundbridge
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 16 queries.