ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 hours with Bob Heil  (Read 10518 times)

Bob Leonard

3 hours with Bob Heil
« on: August 24, 2008, 02:09:47 AM »

Friday night was a treat for me as I was actually able to take some time for myself and spend an amazing three hours with Bob Heil and his wife Sarah. Now I'm sure that most of you are aware that Bob and I have worked together on some of his products and that I am a huge fan of his microphones.

Be that as it is microphones are just a tiny piece of the Bob Heil story and I considered myself more than fortunate to have been invited to spend the evening with these folks. Bob Heil is a living piece of pro sound history and to many touring artists of both yesterday and today a legend. It was he who first invented or introduced many of the devices and concepts used in pro sound today for which we can all be thankful.

I won't get into a detailed tale of the nights conversation, it would just take to much time and space, but there were some promises made and I keep my promises. So in a nutshell;

The PR-22 will remain as is for the time being. The possibility of a super cardioid version was discussed. I passed Andy's comments on to Bob and perhaps in the future, but not just yet.

I have in my possession a pair of drum mics, kick and snare which I worked with for just a little bit today and the sound was just stunning. If anyone near me would like to audition the mics please PM me with a request and I'll try to get them to you. One feature to note is that the entire element is flex mounted so the if it's hit accidentally it will bend. Not to mention that the housings for these mics are built like the proverbial brick shit house. I don't see how they can be broken even if abused.

I had a great look at the guitar cabinet mic. The element is the same as the PR-30/35, but mounted sideways, and tuned for it's purpose, typical of guitar cabinet mics, but with a very unique suspension system to eliminate vibration, etc..

I also had a look at a number of mics from the soon to be Heil custom shop. They were all custom painted and the look was incredible. Silver, grey, yellow, my favorite fire engine red, and even a camouflaged PR-22 headed to Ted Nugent.

I can also say that wireless versions are close to reality, but nothing more than that.

I had a look at some great pictures of the USA manufacturing plant. I was surprised at how much work is done here in the United States. Yss, many of the components are manufactured off shore. No, they are not manufactured at the same plant as Shure, Sennheizer and Audix. Yes, final assembly and testing of every mic is done in the USA. Yes, all prototypes are developed in the USA.

Trivia I was aware off that you may find interesting. Bob and Joe Walsh are best friends. Bob and Joe are both ham radio operators (so am I). There are more Heil mics used for ham radio than any other microphone world wide. It was Joe Walsh who talked Bob Heil into getting back into pro sound by converting one of the ham radio mics for Joe to use on stage. Bob Heil has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The original "Talk Box" made for Joe Walsh was for the song "Rocky Mountain way". The talk box concept dates back to 1939. After the recording of "Rocky Mountian way" Joe wanted to use the "Talk Box" outside of the studio. He placed the speaker and everything else into a paper bag, fed the tube into the top, and used it like that for almost 2 months on stage. It was Bob Heil who provided sound for the "Who's" quadrophenea tour. There's no shortage of people that Bob Heil hasn't worked with, or inventions he's created. If you're interested in history google his name some time.  

For those of you living in the northeast, Daddy's Music has taken on the Heil line. The line will be introduced at the main store in Boston by Bob Heil, in October. I extend an invitation to any and all who wish to attend. The store is located on Mass. Ave directly across from Berkley.  

Well I don't usually post pictures of myself because they make baby's cry and dogs howl, but here's one worth showing. I'm the guy with the full head of hair and the thin waistline.

index.php/fa/17586/0/
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Rob Ottaviano

Re: 3 hours with Bob Heil
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 10:44:06 AM »

Bob Leonard wrote on Sun, 24 August 2008 07:09

Friday night was a treat for me as I was actually able to take some time for myself and spend an amazing three hours with Bob Heil and his wife Sarah. Now I'm sure that most of you are aware that Bob and I have worked together on some of his products and that I am a huge fan of his microphones.

Be that as it is microphones are just a tiny piece of the Bob Heil story and I considered myself more than fortunate to have been invited to spend the evening with these folks. Bob Heil is a living piece of pro sound history and to many touring artists of both yesterday and today a legend. It was he who first invented or introduced many of the devices and concepts used in pro sound today for which we can all be thankful.

I won't get into a detailed tale of the nights conversation, it would just take to much time and space, but there were some promises made and I keep my promises. So in a nutshell;

The PR-22 will remain as is for the time being. The possibility of a super cardioid version was discussed. I passed Andy's comments on to Bob and perhaps in the future, but not just yet.

I have in my possession a pair of drum mics, kick and snare which I worked with for just a little bit today and the sound was just stunning. If anyone near me would like to audition the mics please PM me with a request and I'll try to get them to you. One feature to note is that the entire element is flex mounted so the if it's hit accidentally it will bend. Not to mention that the housings for these mics are built like the proverbial brick shit house. I don't see how they can be broken even if abused.

I had a great look at the guitar cabinet mic. The element is the same as the PR-30/35, but mounted sideways, and tuned for it's purpose, typical of guitar cabinet mics, but with a very unique suspension system to eliminate vibration, etc..

I also had a look at a number of mics from the soon to be Heil custom shop. They were all custom painted and the look was incredible. Silver, grey, yellow, my favorite fire engine red, and even a camouflaged PR-22 headed to Ted Nugent.

I can also say that wireless versions are close to reality, but nothing more than that.

I had a look at some great pictures of the USA manufacturing plant. I was surprised at how much work is done here in the United States. Yss, many of the components are manufactured off shore. No, they are not manufactured at the same plant as Shure, Sennheizer and Audix. Yes, final assembly and testing of every mic is done in the USA. Yes, all prototypes are developed in the USA.

Trivia I was aware off that you may find interesting. Bob and Joe Walsh are best friends. Bob and Joe are both ham radio operators (so am I). There are more Heil mics used for ham radio than any other microphone world wide. It was Joe Walsh who talked Bob Heil into getting back into pro sound by converting one of the ham radio mics for Joe to use on stage. Bob Heil has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The original "Talk Box" made for Joe Walsh was for the song "Rocky Mountain way". The talk box concept dates back to 1939. After the recording of "Rocky Mountian way" Joe wanted to use the "Talk Box" outside of the studio. He placed the speaker and everything else into a paper bag, fed the tube into the top, and used it like that for almost 2 months on stage. It was Bob Heil who provided sound for the "Who's" quadrophenea tour. There's no shortage of people that Bob Heil hasn't worked with, or inventions he's created. If you're interested in history google his name some time.  

For those of you living in the northeast, Daddy's Music has taken on the Heil line. The line will be introduced at the main store in Boston by Bob Heil, in October. I extend an invitation to any and all who wish to attend. The store is located on Mass. Ave directly across from Berkley.  

Well I don't usually post pictures of myself because they make baby's cry and dogs howl, but here's one worth showing. I'm the guy with the full head of hair and the thin waistline.

index.php/fa/17586/0/

I have that shirt Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Peace
It ain't the gear,it's the ear !!!

Gene Hardage

• http://www.SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:09:40 AM »

Can we get a pic of the geetar mic?
A pic or link to any of the new mics?

I've seen a few pics of the boards and equipment used by him for those early rock shows and it's amazing.  The biggest challenge must have been getting vocals, and drums to match the insane guitar volumes.  I've also had the honor of talking to a few old timers - mostly musicians but a few old techs - and it's always fun and educational.   Keep us posted on everything.
Gene SARASOTA SLIM Hardage
http://www.SarasotaSlim.com

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »

Gene Hardage wrote on Sun, 24 August 2008 10:09

I've seen a few pics of the boards and equipment used by him for those early rock shows and it's amazing.  The biggest challenge must have been getting vocals, and drums to match the insane guitar volumes.  I've also had the honor of talking to a few old timers - mostly musicians but a few old techs - and it's always fun and educational.   Keep us posted on everything.

I would be interested also. I love that I'm a dealer for Heil also. So many people are amazed that they haven't heard of this guy. I'm amazed they haven't either.

PS. I saw the Heil display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Was incredibly dissapointed that you can't take pictures in that place.. I can go to the Met in New York and take pictures of 2000 year old egyptian artifacts but not something that's from the 1970's... Sad. Still a cool display anyway!
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Lee Brenkman

Re: side trip, again, sorry!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »

Adam Whetham wrote on Sun, 24 August 2008 13:10

PS. I saw the Heil display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Was incredibly dissapointed that you can't take pictures in that place.. I can go to the Met in New York and take pictures of 2000 year old egyptian artifacts but not something that's from the 1970's... Sad. Still a cool display anyway!

Those 2000 year old Egyptians aren't around,and they don't have r lawyers and estates jealously guarding their "intellectual property".

Many persons and companies with exhibits at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame DO.

I'm not saying either policy is right, wrong, defensible or not. I just think the rock stars and their "people" are keeping a better line on the bottom line than the craftsmen who put their work into the Valley of the Kings.
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

Bob Leonard

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 12:27:46 AM »

Gene Hardage wrote on Sun, 24 August 2008 11:09

Gene,
I'm holding the guitar mic. Not a great picture so I'll see if I can get some more to post. Bob is holding, left to right, the camo mic, PR-35 interchangable element, snare drum mic, bass drum mic (now at my house).

John Azzara

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »

I have no respect for Mr. Heil. Sorry Evil or Very Mad
His products were, and are a joke for HamRadio.

I was glad to see Him move His infertile efforts to ProAudio.
 Laughing

Bob Leonard

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 12:40:13 PM »

John Azzara wrote on Mon, 25 August 2008 12:09

Laughing

John,
He hasn't moved the line to pro audio. The Heil line is still the largest selling ham radio mic line in the world. Sorry to see you have no experience with either the pro audio or ham radio lines.

73's
N1BRH

Adam Robinson

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 08:59:01 PM »

John Azzara wrote on Mon, 25 August 2008 11:09

Laughing

And that's why some of the largest names are touring with Heil mics?  

I may not have drank the Heil kool-aid as Bob has, but I will definitely recognize Bob's talent and the quality of his products.  I, too, have had the pleasure of meeting him at one of our shows, seeing what he's working on, and discussing the technology and giving him my opinions.  

Please try his products out before you slam them.  

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 01:34:27 PM »

If the new git mic is anything like the PR-30 I'll be all over it.

For reference, I regularly use the Pr-30 on Alto sax, it is wonderful. I also had a problematic male vocalist, he would overdrive 58s, 835s, etc, not in the high register, but with a weird low/mid power tone that was always in his voice. He would overdrive the capsule, pre pad/preamp. The PR-20 fixed the issue, it sounds wonderful on his voice.

Just my experience.

Mike
Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.