ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiring dual sub cabs  (Read 22334 times)

Tyler Bernard

Wiring dual sub cabs
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:04:52 pm »

Do sub cabinets need an internal xover when there is always an external one?

Is is safe to wire straight from the input to the speaker, then from the first speaker to the next?

I am putting 2 klipsch 15" k-43-k subs into a cab....

Jerome Casinger

• http://www.ignitestlouis.com
Re: Wiring dual sub cabs
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 12:11:47 pm »

Series add the Resistance, Parallel Halve the resistance (2- 8 ohms in parrallel = 4ohm, in series = 16 ohm)

index.php/fa/17571/0/

Tyler Bernard

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 05:05:58 pm »

Thank you Jerome. I have saved your image.

Gino bruschini

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 07:53:48 am »

sorry bout this, all questions im asking seem to be about polority... sigh!..just dont wanna kill drivers!
in a dual sub cabinet such as the lab horn (where drivers are directly facing eachother, do you have to reverse the polarity of one of the drivers? i;e so when one pushes the other driver pulls? its just wot a birdy told me and ive started my first build and need as much info as possible, many thanks!
Gino
THE REVOLUTION IS COMING!!!!

Jared Scott

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 08:22:03 am »

Gino bruschini wrote on Thu, 18 September 2008 06:53

sorry bout this, all questions im asking seem to be about polority... sigh!..just dont wanna kill drivers!
in a dual sub cabinet such as the lab horn (where drivers are directly facing eachother, do you have to reverse the polarity of one of the drivers? i;e so when one pushes the other driver pulls? its just wot a birdy told me and ive started my first build and need as much info as possible, many thanks!
Gino

No, since they oppose each other (cone to cone), playing into a common throat, you want to wire them forward polarity, not reverse polarity.  If you reversed the polarity, you would hear nothing, and more than likely shred the suspensions of the drivers and end up with a pair of funny shaped paper weights.

Jeff Bailie

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 10:08:19 pm »

What kind of wire is the best for inside my Labs. Is it a bad idea to use the same wire I plan to make my cables out of. Also, the Neutrik NL4mp connector is what i need for the back of my cabinets if i wanted to use regular store bought cables right? -thanks.
BooYaKahSha

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 02:53:49 am »

Yes NL4MP is right.

I'd wire two up on each cabinet and and have +1/-1 go to the subwoofer and +2/-2 go to the +1/-1 on the connector next to it. That way you can run a 4 conductor cable to one cab and daisy chain it to the next one.

I used 12 gauge wire inside my cabinets. If you're going to be doing a bit of these and will need quite a bit of cable consider buying a spool and all the connectors you would need. You can also buy a big cable roughly the size you'll need and then cut 2-4 feet out of it and buy 2 extra ends (NL4FX)

-Josh Billings

Gino bruschini

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 06:11:43 am »

in my earlier post regarding polarity, i dint mean reverse for both drivers, i meant just reversing one of them( so when one driver is pushing the other is pulling?) i was told that both pushing at the same time could kill drivers quickly?? and also a question about using nlp4 connectors, all my amps use 2-pole speakons am i correct in saying, if i use 2 pole connectors and have two wire from 1+ and two from 1- and route them to both driversit then means the drivers are wired parralel hence halving the resistance, and daisy chaining would halve twice due to the next lab being wired in thwe same way?? i dont know what ohm the lab 12 is to start with but im guessing its 8ohm, wiring one lab cab in parralell brings it down to 4, then daiychaining another cab woulkd bring it down to 1ohm across the two cabs???
can amps go that low??
as mentioned before im new to this and would be very greatful to know if im wrong im just trying to get my head round it!  Confused
THE REVOLUTION IS COMING!!!!

Jeff Bailie

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 11:03:48 am »

Both drivers should be pushing. In this design, if the drivers were moving in push/pull, you would not hear much.
BooYaKahSha

Dave Slater

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 08:39:00 am »

the best way to wire your cabs is by following this diagram

most modern amplifiers allow bridging via the speakon output of channel 1 or a separate 'bridged' output (if not you can make a twin speakon to 4 pole in-line socket)

the wiring is channel 1 to pins 1+/- & channel 2 to pins 2+/-

keep your amplifier set in parallel mode and run a 4 core cable to your first cab then daisy chain up to 2 more cabinets per amplifier (allowing a 2 ohm load with LabSubs as the drivers have a nominal 6ohm load - up to 3 more cabs with an 8ohm load)

by doing this channel 1 will drive one cone in each box channel 2 the other

this way you will always have an equal number of drivers per amplifier channel allowing for easy scalability and not having to worry about getting your sums right

index.php/fa/18323/0/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.