ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unbalanced V-Drums  (Read 2356 times)

gainreduction

Unbalanced V-Drums
« on: February 24, 2005, 09:28:05 pm »

So we made the jump to V-Drums at the church and the freakin thing has unbalanced 1/4" outputs! I soldered an 8ch TRS-XLRM snake just for the TD20S ASSUMING they would be at LEAST bal/unbal, but no.  What was Roland thinking?? How in the world will anyone use this unit in a live setting where the snake runs more than 20 feet? I want to use all 8 outs, but by the time the signal makes it up to the board there's more hum than drum.

So I called Roland and you know what they suggested? 8 DI BOXES!!! I thought he was kidding. I asked how in the world their flagship professional drum module would require 8 DI boxes for use in a live setting and he said most people just use the stereo outs. What a joke.

Anyone with a better solution than that? I'd love the input.

Frustrated in Miami.

Mike Galica

• http://www.maskilstudios.com
Re: Unbalanced V-Drums
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 12:01:40 am »

You could always just use balancing transformers.  It'd save some money anyways.
Mike Galica

Tim Padrick

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 01:01:17 am »

If an output is 1/4" single-ended, connecting a TRS-XLR cable would leave the ring/pin3 open.  Try connecting the ring to the sleeve and see if that helps.  If not: http://www.behringer.com/DI800/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 04:21:19 am »

Audiopile has rack mount 4 place DI's.  Too bad Roland missed the mark by not using XLR's on ther stereo outs.

Dan Timon

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 07:11:25 am »

Roland is an MI company, and the V-Drums are an MI product. No different than a guitar, bass or keyboard. But I agree, it does suck.

Personally, being the lazy cuss that I am, I would have read the manual before soldering up 8 channels of adapters. Please resist the urge to use the stereo outs-you might find yourself mixing with the EQ to get the snare up or down in the mix. That is a bad place to be. I once mixed at a church that was so hard up for mixer channels that I had to use the stereo outs on a set of V-Drums, and it really takes the fun out of it.

Mike S is right-get a couple of the 4 channel DIs from Mark Hellinger at Audiopile. He is certainly more deserving of the business than Uli.

Regards,

Dan Timon

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 07:36:00 am »

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 09:05:57 am »

While perhaps a un-bal to bal active or passive conversion might be the "best" solution, there may be some simple and more cost effective things to try first.

Just because a signal is unbalanced doesn't automatically mean it has to be noisy.

I would first suggest proper use of your console's differential inputs to forward reference to the V-drums output ground. To do this connect V-Drum tip to XLR-2 and V-Drum sleeve to XLR-3. At the V-Drum end only connect XLR-1 to XLR-3. With this connection the chassis ground of the V-drum is hard connected to the console ground Via XLR-1 so random inter ground currents (loop?) are likely to flow but XLR-3 which is not carrying any such current should provide a clean ground reference back to the console which will then be subtracted from the XLR-2 signal.

Hum pickup by properly connected wiring might suggest inferior shielding or unusual hum fields. While a proper differential input should be able to deal with common loops, some additional reduction in the signal that must be cancelled out may be provided by isolating the V-Drum ground from the mains and allowing it to get it's safety ground solely from the console/snake. 8 robust XLR grounds should provide adequate ground bonding should a power fault occur in the V-drum.

Good luck,

JR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 09:05:57 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.