ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best stand alone subwoofer (that can be carreid by 2 men)  (Read 10237 times)

Whit Hutchinson

Best stand alone subwoofer (that can be carreid by 2 men)
« on: August 15, 2008, 01:35:33 AM »

There are many threads on here on "the worlds most powerful sub", the world's loudest sub", "the world's deepest sub".

Hypothetically speaking, what would be the two "best" subs that a touring band could pack into a van or trailer?  They would need to be loud enough to cover 200 ppl or sound good enough to cover 20ppl at reduced volume.

I guess the requirements for this sub come down to: 1.  Must be able to fit in a 4x8' trailer (x2),  moved by 2 people, not require >20 amps of service (regardless of amps).

So far we have come up with PLX amps and 1x TH 115s per side. My suggestion was to find 4 ServoDrive BT 7s but that was shot down right away due to upkeep cost.

Thoughts? Suggestions?  The reason I am asking is because I may be hired to "buy" a new bottom end for a local touring gorup this fall and run sound for them.  They are a party/dance/funk band but only travel with 2 vans and 2 4x8 covered trailers.  They have enough power on tops to cover every gig we do (old PV DTH SF4's) and it sounds decent.  

I have learned in my life:

-Pretty girls don't stay single long
- KF 850s  over SB 1000s per side was designed to be a percussion instrument rather than a "soundpretty thing".

Ivan Beaver

Re: Best stand alone subwoofer (that can be carreid by 2 men)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 07:53:24 AM »

I can put 4 TH115's in the back of my minivan and load/unload them myself with no problem.  For steps they are easily moved with 2 people-although one can do it (with a good bit more effort) Laughing   Put one on a hand truck (with large tires or a refridge dolly) and one person can move them up steps by themselves.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 05:00:23 PM »

LAB subs are a 2 man lift and a 1 man roll.

I'd say that a pair of SRX728S subs on an I-Tech 8000 would be perfect for your application.

Pascal Pincosy

Re: Best stand alone subwoofer (that can be carried by 2 men)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 05:52:40 PM »

The Bassmaxx Deuce is my favorite sub on the market today. They are 24" deep so they'll pack in your trailer just fine. They sound incredible and they're easy to move (with dolly plates). I think you could cover much more than 200 people with a pair of Deuces.

The TH-115 is also a very nice sub, and cheaper than the Deuce, but I find them to be a bit lacking in sonic character compared to the Deuce, and they also can't handle very low frequencies as well as the Bassmaxx design.

I'd pick either of these two over a SRX728 or any other double 18" on the market today though.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 05:44:55 AM »

I don't want to hijack your thread, I'm trying to build something my self.

First I was looking into tubas or titan 48.

But I've just heard the super scooper. Check it out, I was impressed by the out put of those things.

http://speakerplans.com/index.php?id=18superscooper

Although I sill want to find more reviews on this thing so if there is any one out there who has any true experience with this box, it be nice.

And the other thing, What driver do you recommend best for it?

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 08:50:46 AM »

Miguel Castro wrote on Sun, 17 August 2008 05:44

And the other thing, What driver do you recommend best for it?

I would recommend the driver THAT IS SUGGESTED in the design? Laughing Why not start there-instead of reinvent the wheel-so to speak.

That is just a slight variation on the old JBL scoops.  They had their day (mostly back in the 80's with metal bands-and others), but there is a reason nobody is making anything like that today.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 10:01:59 AM »

http://www.qsc.com/products/speakers/hpr/hpr181i.htm

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=213&cat=2&t ype=29

I have owned both the above subs.(Still have the qsc)
They both have been used in the exact situation that you are looking for. The Yorkville has a little more thump with the QSC a little more accurate reproduction. They both worked great for Subs Off an Aux which was how I used them. With amp/crossover and a good thump in one package they are a great all around sub.

Kindest Regards
Douglas R. Allen
Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 03:40:35 PM »

Sun, 17 August 2008 08:50  
Ivan Beaver wrote;

Quote:

I would recommend the driver THAT IS SUGGESTED in the design?  Why not start there-instead of reinvent the wheel-so to speak

Laughing  never thought of that. I just wonder if there is any way to get more juice out of them.

Sun, 17 August 2008 08:50  
Ivan Beaver wrote;

Quote:

That is just a slight variation on the old JBL scoops. They had their day (mostly back in the 80's with metal bands-and others), but there is a reason nobody is making anything like that today.

But why tho? I mean honestly, I went to a small festival and I could hear the subs about 50 meters away from the stage, I couldn't get close enough to the stage because they had 7 thousand teens watching the bands. I didn't know what gear they had, I thought it must have been some EAW subs, Nexo, or Meyer, you know, something big. But then I got close to the stage and saw two of these boxes per side. Honestly I have never seen/heard so much out put by two boxes per side. Plus you can make them yourself and not spend thousands of dollars in your sub system.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 05:57:40 PM »

The reason they are a variation is that the JBL design used a 15" and the design you linked to is an 18".  An 18" will not fit in the standard JBL cabinet.  I don't think JBL make an 18" version-but I could be wrong.  There are a few little variations in the actual horn flare-to smooth it out a bit.

Since you could not get really close-how do you know the cabinets used were actually that particular design?

From the front, pretty much all scoops look the same.  It is what is in them (loudspeakers/cabinet design etc) that makes a difference.

I have seen some REALLY BAD scoops that look OK from the front, but are completely missing the "inards" so they don't work at all.

It is "what is under the hood" that makes the difference Laughing

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 07:12:43 PM »

After the show I got to talk to the owner, He says that the design is called Gaussini or Gauss.

But I've searched like crazy and can't find anything.

I'm assuming they are the super scooper 18"

They load them with RCF drivers. I don't know what's the exact model. I'm still trying to know more about this box. I'm going to ask around 'till I'm sure where the design comes from.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.