ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I need a crossover, EQ or both?  (Read 2165 times)

Chad Craven

Do I need a crossover, EQ or both?
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:17:10 PM »

I put together a LS/DJ rig consisting of the following(below) for playing at home, and family functions. I have a few questions.

Windows media player providing music via usb to...
(1) PV10 uSB Mixer going to...
(1) Crown XLS 602d powering...
(2) Peavey PV215
(1) Crown XLS 802D powering...
(2) Harbinger HX118S

1. I am hearing mids and vocals coming out of the subs. The problem is that with the sound coming in via usb the mixer offers no eq controls. Can I use a rack eq for fine tuning the whole system, and a seperate rack crossover to kill all but lows going to the subs, or just get a crossover only.

2. Also as far as amp and speaker matching and hook up I just threw the 802 on the subs for plenty of headroom since the pv218's have plenty of spl on the 602. They are all just plain stereo hooked.  Is there a better solution to what I have going on?  Like mono the subs parallel or something?  I just want to be using the system correctly and to the most potential.

Thanks

Jared Scott

Re: Do I need a crossover, EQ or both?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 12:27:46 PM »

The crossover should definatly be the first step.  Getting everything on seperate bands should help clean the sound up a lot.  If you still need to do some EQing, a simple dual 15 EQ should work plenty fine.

Look into a Driverack PA, would be a nice all-in-one solution for you.

If you cluster the subs to take advantage of coupling, then you want to run the subs in mono, otherwise, it shouldn't matter if your running stereo or mono.

Chad Craven

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 02:25:22 PM »

So with the Driverack PA I can eq the whole system, and xover the subs independently of the mains? Can I set low pass and high pass settings for subs to prevent mechanical damage on the low hz end?  Also I only need 2 outputs the sub and the main, but I see on the rear of the  Driverack PA it has lows, mids, and highs.  Is there a selection in the system to combine mid and highs into 1 output, or do you have to "y" them together with XLR cables at the back?

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »

You don't have to use all the outputs. You can have any output do any frequency range, depending on how you set the parameters. On the PA they label the outputs as Low Mid High, but that means very little. On the Driverack 260, the outputs are numbered 1-6, more indicative that any output can be anything.

Chad Craven

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »

I called them and got a perfect answer.  When Bi-Amping the mids and highs already come out the high XLRs so you can just put your high amp on that output.  As far as High and low crossover points they said that the Low and Mid outputs have bandpass options, which is what im looking for.  Thanks guys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 16 queries.