ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To crossover or not to crossover  (Read 4947 times)

Simon Kennard

To crossover or not to crossover
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:26:27 AM »

Hi all, thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
We are trying to improve the sound at our church, At present we are using a set of Mackie S410s and S408. These are connected to 2 Palladium 2000 amps. (1 for each set of speakers). As far as I can tell the S410 have a built in bypass filter? but the 408's don't. If I connect the 408's to the 410 (thru) will the filter on the 410 send the higher freq to the mids (408). Which then means we have a spare amp. Or should we go with a crossover and use both amps.

Sorry if that was a hard read, I just confused myself. Thanks again for any advice.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: To crossover or not to crossover
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:32:43 AM »

My interpretation of Mackie's information is apparently similar to your and is that the S410S has an integrated 180Hz, 12dB/octave low pass filter while the S408 has no high pass or low pass filtering.

Running as you are now has the disadvantage of having overlap in the response of the subs and mains, however it also has the advantage of being able to independently control the relative levels of the sub and main.  'Daisy-chaining' from the sub to the main has the advantage of freeing up an amplifier (I can't find enough info on the DAP Audio P-2000 to tell you what the resulting difference in level might be) and of still having overlap in the response of the sub and main but offers the advantage of requiring just one amplifier.  And external crossover would have the disadvantages of additional cost and complexity but the potential advantage of giving more control over the system including independent level control of the sub and main, reducing overlap in response between the sub and main and possibly adding a high pass for the sub to help it.

Simon Kennard

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »

Thanks Brad, I'll try to daisy chain them tomorrow just to see what it sounds like, if there is no difference then we'll probably go down the crossover route. Looking at what is available on a limited budget it'll be between Behringer CX2310 or DBX 223 XL at a push, alothough we're always open to suggestions

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 02:12:04 PM »

Go for the active crossover option ... it will make a difference

John Fiorello

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 02:35:26 PM »

Thanks Brad, I'll try to daisy chain them tomorrow just to see what it sounds like

So how did it go?

JF
Stop.  Think.  Speak.

Simon Kennard

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 03:57:17 PM »

well 1 month later and finally we are ready to try a crossover on Sunday. We borrowed one which after setting everything up (we are a portable church) didn't work at all! (faulty transformer) so we packed down. Managed to borrow another and this one did work. What a difference!! We played with it at our band practice which is in a different building to the one we use on Sundays so we'll try again this weekend. I think the answer is definately to crossover! What do we do next!!!???

Matthias Heitzer

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »

next step would be to put amps and crossover in a nice rack.
It gets even better if you buy a digital controller. there are some affordable system controllers out there that render ye olde analog crossover totally obsolete.

If you've got a active crossover, disconnect the interal passive filters of the Sub. Those coils are just unnessessary resistance

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.