ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: How not to get into a ceiling  (Read 16885 times)

Jason Lavoie

Re: How not to get into a ceiling
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2008, 03:46:49 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Thu, 07 August 2008 21:37

But, because Scissor Lifts meet the definition of a scaffold in
reference to Section 1926.451 or 1926.452 "does not require employees to be tied off when working from scissor lifts that have properly maintained guardrails"

Note: this is for Scissor Lifts.

Cheers,

Hammer

I've read 1926.451 .452 and .453 and none of those even contain the word "scissor".

also, right at the top of .451 it says "This section does not apply to aerial lifts, the criteria for which are set out exclusively in 1926.453."

I'm in Canada, so the rules may be a bit different but these sections of OSHA don't seem to support your claims that a harness is not required.

I've personally witnessed other contractors getting fines for not wearing a harness and I've never come across anyone on any construction site or other location who would even suggest that it is ok to not wear a harness.
even those who don't wear them will tell you straight up that it is not allowed.

Jason

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2008, 04:41:16 PM »

Jason Lavoie wrote on Sat, 09 August 2008 14:46

Charlie Zureki wrote on Thu, 07 August 2008 21:37

But, because Scissor Lifts meet the definition of a scaffold in
reference to Section 1926.451 or 1926.452 "does not require employees to be tied off when working from scissor lifts that have properly maintained guardrails"

Note: this is for Scissor Lifts.

Cheers,

Hammer

I've read 1926.451 .452 and .453 and none of those even contain the word "scissor".

also, right at the top of .451 it says "This section does not apply to aerial lifts, the criteria for which are set out exclusively in 1926.453."

I'm in Canada, so the rules may be a bit different but these sections of OSHA don't seem to support your claims that a harness is not required.

I've personally witnessed other contractors getting fines for not wearing a harness and I've never come across anyone on any construction site or other location who would even suggest that it is ok to not wear a harness.
even those who don't wear them will tell you straight up that it is not allowed.

Jason

Jason,

It's really simple to find the info. Go to www.osha.gov

On the main page, at the top search box, type: scissor lift

Then about half way down the page you will see Code info for Scissor Lifts.  One Regarding the Harness and one in regards to a Scissor Lift being listed under Scaffolding. If you click on these answers from posed questions will give you YOUR ANSWERS, and it will list cross reference info.
  One code was written in 1998 and one code written in 2000

Remember they are listed as Scaffolding NOT Aerial Lifts.

Good Luck,

Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2008, 07:25:21 PM »

ok, I've found what you were talking about..

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_tabl e=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=25175

is a ruling which says that:

Quote:

"[W]hen working from an elevated scissor lift (ANSI A92.6 series), a worker need only be protected from falling by a properly designed and maintained guardrail system. However, if the guardrail system is less than adequate, or the worker leaves the safety of the work platform, an additional fall protection device would be required."

and http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_tabl e=STANDARDS&p_id=10752

Says that:

Quote:

"The top edge height of toprails or equivalent member on supported scaffolds manufactured or placed in service after January 1, 2000 shall be installed between 38 inches (0.97 m) and 45 inches (1.2 m) above the platform surface."

so it does seem that a harness is not required on a true scissor lift, with all rails intact and the chain across the entry.
I guess nobody wants to be the guy who recommends that their company take that bit out of their safety policy..

Jason

Zeb Chamlee

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2008, 03:46:48 AM »

John Cameron

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2008, 09:37:37 PM »

[/quote]so it does seem that a harness is not required on a true scissor lift, with all rails intact and the chain across the entry.I guess nobody wants to be the guy who recommends that their company take that bit out of their safety policy..Jason[/quote]

Actually, where I work if it is a multipassanger scissor-lift the passanger is required to wear a harness. The driver does not need a harness.
JBL VRX / SRX / SR / Eon-g2
LSR4328P + LSR4312SP -studio
Yorkville Elite 2000EX
2-PL236
4-IT6K
Studiolive 24.4.2
Yamaha Digital
Rode / Shure / Sennheiser / Neumann / AKG

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2008, 09:54:02 PM »

John Cameron wrote on Fri, 05 September 2008 20:37

so it does seem that a harness is not required on a true scissor lift, with all rails intact and the chain across the entry.I guess nobody wants to be the guy who recommends that their company take that bit out of their safety policy..Jason[/quote]

Actually, where I work if it is a multipassanger scissor-lift the passanger is required to wear a harness. The driver does not need a harness.
[/quote]

John et al..

The written regulations regarding Scissor Lifts are very specific, although they are hard to find in the Osha Specs. Please note that the regulations DO NOT forbid anyone from using a Harness, except when a user would tie-off to another structure while still being tied off to the Scissor Lift.  

A Contracting Company or their Customer can insist that Harnesses be worn while anyone is using a Scissor lift on their Job or Property. They have the right to additions to the standard Osha Regulations unless it is specifically addressed and Prohibited.

Cheers,
Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.