ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How not to get into a ceiling  (Read 16945 times)

Joseph Macry

How not to get into a ceiling
« on: August 01, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »

While installing sound system in a middle school activity room (a gym with a stage), I was amazed to see the electricians using the ladder as shown in the picture.  

Knowing I would have to wire through the same ceiling the next day, I decided to order a one-man lift rental.  They offered me their ladder, but I declined.

I have seen people tossed off of other sites for this same bone-headedness.  I think the general contractor was very purposefully trying to NOT walk through there when they were doing this.

In the end, however, they actually got the wire through without anyone falling.
Joseph Macry
Austin TX

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: How not to get into a ceiling
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:48:11 PM »

How did they get the ladder to stick to the wall like that?

Mac

Joel Barry

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 01:07:58 PM »

Joseph Macry wrote on Fri, 01 August 2008 12:02

While installing sound system in a middle school activity room (a gym with a stage), I was amazed to see the electricians using the ladder as shown in the picture.

Wow.... That is something. Nobody said anything?

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 06:46:07 PM »

This why I bought a trestle ladder; of course, I still do stupid things with it, but at least I'm trying.

Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:04:35 PM »

Guess he didn't read the sticker on the second step down from the top "Do not stand on or above this step, you can be injured or killed." Not to mention taking half the ceiling down while you are doing it.

The proper way to do this would be a rolling scaffold.

-Hal

Robert Sims

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 11:35:22 PM »

I got a kick out of watching this guy.

index.php/fa/17213/0/
Robert Sims

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 05:23:51 PM »

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC wrote on Fri, 01 August 2008 20:04

Guess he didn't read the sticker on the second step down from the top "Do not stand on or above this step, you can be injured or killed." Not to mention taking half the ceiling down while you are doing it.

The proper way to do this would be a rolling scaffold.

-Hal

Hal,

How do you feel about genie lifts? Less climbing? And, according to a safety report, some years back, the actual act of climbing up or down, is when people tend to fall.  

Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 05:28:53 PM »

Personally something like this scares the hell out of me. That base is only 2'6" wide. How much effort do you think it would take to tip it over when it's extended like that even assuming that it's on a perfectly level surface?

http://genielift.com/pimg/gs1930.jpg

-Hal

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 10:47:07 PM »

Hey Hal,

I was thinking of the the one-man straight lift Genie. As long as the "level switch" is not disabled and the legs are in position they are very hard to tip over. They make many different Models, featuring different Heights and Loads.

I do understand you're not being comfortable with the small scissor lifts. They also have "level switches", that will not allow the lift to be raised on an unlevel surface. Most(excluding very old units) have a device on each side of the lift that lowers to the floor for added stability when the lift is raised. It's a pseudo outrigger type device.

You are correct that the small scissor lifts can be tipped over on it's side from a relatively small force applied to the side as it is raised. Each Unit is supplied with the specs regarding Load Weight, Platform Height at extension, Platform extension (if equipped) Load at Height, etc...  I believe the Manuals list the minimum Force needed to tip them over.
 These scissor type lifts are also made in different sizes, with again, different Loads, Physical Sizes, Different Heights attainable.

Only once is thirty years did I have a scare with any type of lift. Another Tech and Myself, were behind a Huge,(40'x 100') Flown, Video Wall. We were about 35' off the floor, changing an
intermittent cable and the Rigger saw another lift move from behind the wall. (He didn't know there was two back there) He "bumped" all of the hang Motors down, and did another quick "bump" in as the wall swayed a bit and caught the guard railing of the lift. As the Video Wall came in about 6"-1' it finally broke free from the railing and the lift bucked back, away from the wall with a great force, almost throwing us out of the lift.

Needless to say, the Tech and I had to do a drawer check!  Laughing

Lesson: stay at least two feet from anything that moves.

Cheers,

Hammer

Be prepared, you'll need it!

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »

My favorite was the time I saw a guy stand at the top of a 6' ladder that was on top of five tiers of scaffolding.

Why do people do stupid stuff like that? And how the heck did he get the ladder up there?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.