ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use of "Impedance matching strips"  (Read 1411 times)

Sebatian Ochoa

Use of "Impedance matching strips"
« on: July 31, 2008, 02:11:06 pm »

Hi everyone,

I would like to know your experiences with impedance matching strips such as the Jamo ZI-8 which allows to connect up to 8 pairs of speakers maintaining a minimum 4 ohm load to the amp.  I would like to know how the compare with classic transformer systems, their drawbacks/benefits,etc.

Thanks for your help,

Sebastian

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
Re: Use of "Impedance matching strips"
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:14:43 pm »

If you are doing a residential system that's what those kind of things are designed for. I wouldn't use them but others do. For any commercial installation, IMO there is no excuse for using them. I think if you scroll down this list there are a few threads that address the problems with installations where these devices were used.

The main problem is expandability (adding speakers later) and limited capacity. In distributed systems stereo is detrimental so you don't want to waste money on anything that handles two channels.

The better of these devices utilize transformers so they offer no advantage over speakers with transformers. The clear advantage to using speakers with line transformers is that the wattage of each can be individually adjusted, any number of speakers can easily be added at any time, wiring requirements are simple and the transformers themselves can be of a much higher quality.

I'm not quite sure how that device you mention works. It's much too small and light to utilize transformers, at least any that I would want to use for the application. There are only so many ways of matching impedances- transformers are one, series/parallel is another and series resistance is the last. From the installation diagram I don't think I see any evidence of series/parallel and if we rule out transformers that only leaves them padding each speaker with resistance. I hope that's not what they do!

-Hal  

Sebatian Ochoa

Re: Use of "Impedance matching strips"
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:46:38 am »

Hal, thanks for your explanation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.