ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Owners of Tuba 36 and Titan 48?  (Read 16540 times)

Miguel Castro Rios

Owners of Tuba 36 and Titan 48?
« on: July 26, 2008, 04:33:29 PM »

Hello,

I currently own a kf/sb 850 sound system.

But...

I'm thinking about building an affordable sound system for small budget events where high SPL is required.

I'm thinking about building the Titan 48. I've been doing some search but I can't find many reviews on this box.

So, If we have any proud owners, I'd like to know how this box performs, I mean how would it compare to any other sub. Say JBL SRX? SB1000? Yorkville? LA400?

Just any info I could get would help. If I decide to do this, I'd like to know what I'm getting in to. I'd like to know if it's worth it.

Jim Shelton

Re: Owners of Tuba 36 and Titan 48?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 10:12:35 PM »

I built 4 Titan 48's with the help of a friend, and I love them.
I had dual 18 radiator cabs,I just gave to my friend for helping.
All I can say is this it's a cleaner tighter bass sound, I've used all 4 at one job with a band BE who I know, and he actually backed off the low end Razz He usally tries to get more. Anyway for the cost and weight I'll never go back to a radiator again
And the added benefit of not having to drive them with huge power to get the same sound as radiators.

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:00:54 PM »

PM Sent

How small will these events be?  IME Titans need a block of 4 to really start moving air.  A single is not that impressive.

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 04:01:45 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I want to start with 2 per side for small events. Maybe 300 crowd, or small bars.

All I need is SPL. Where clients don't really care (don't have the money) to pay for much quality.

If I decide to do this, I will do some A B comparisons with my kf/sb 850. If they sound good, I'll build a bunch of those to do bigger events. Provably even sell my 850 rig.

But before all this. I'd like to know if any of you guys has Smaart measurements or pictures you'd like to share.

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:16:44 PM »

If you look up the last tulsa subwoofer shootout, the Titan48 was measured and compared with bassmaxx and others.  It fared pretty well, a little peaky in spots but overall pretty solid.

For a small crowd like 300 ppl 4 of them would be adequate.  Couple the horn mouths and center cluster all 4 if possible in a 2 over 2 configuration laid on their side.  Also if you are going to rent these out I strongly recommend using the Definimax 4015 rather than the Kappalite 3015.  It will take abuse better and is compatible with the plans.

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 11:25:38 PM »

I have searched but can't find many reviews. Do you have a link to that sub shootout?

Dave Rickard

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 02:00:28 AM »

Miguel Castro wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 21:25

I have searched but can't find many reviews. Do you have a link to that sub shootout?

http://www.ProsoundShootout.com/
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 10:55:33 PM »

mmm well...

It looks intersting,

Are there any more opinions from other users of this sub?

Jorge Terrez

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 09:18:40 PM »

Hi Miguel , I own 4 titans , and I think that they are great for what you want to use them ,I used to own EAW LA-400's and I sold them after building my first pair of titans ; compare with the EAW's I think they are a little bit more musical , they have a lot of punch on the 60-70hz region , however if you want to go low , you may want to build the tubas , the titans are good in the 35hz to 90hz frequencies , but under 35hz , they start to fall noticeable , I also like how they pack in my truck being 24" X 24" X 48" they fit really good , and also is a good height to stack your tops. that was also one of my main reasons to replace my EAW with these ones.
 I used two of them yesterday in a party for 250 people and they perform quite good ,4 of them would probably have been too much.
 The build is a little bit complicated ; I have been a cabinet maker for 12 years and I had  all the right tools to work on these subwoofers , and still i think it would be  hard for a person with no experience in woodworking.

anyway have fun if you decide to build the titans.

here are couple pictures of them.

Jorge Terrez

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 09:31:09 PM »

here is another picture ; notice the size compare to the EAW.index.php/fa/17460/0/

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »

jorge terrez wrote on Sun, 17 August 2008 21:18

I used to own EAW LA-400's and I sold them after building my first pair of titans ; compare with the EAW's I think they are a little bit more musical , they have a lot of punch on the 60-70hz region ....  and also is a good height to stack your tops. that was also one of my main reasons to replace my EAW with these ones.

I actually own both LA400s and Titan48's and came to the OPPOSITE conclusion.  I found the LA400's to be slightly punchier, tighter, and more controlled than the Titan48.  Even moreso in multiples - a block of 4 LA400's hits a lot harder.  The Titan goes a bit lower.

Jorge I am guessing from the picture that you were running 1 LA400 per side.  They are not really designed for that sort of use and are very underwhelming in that scenario. But in a center clustered block of 4 or larger they do very well.  FWIW 4 titans in a block is pretty good too.

Deciding on subs based on whether their height is good for stacking tops on should be a secondary decision.  Center cluster when you can and in most cases you will have better results and minimize "power alley".  For small shows I use portable "painter's" scaffolding to elevate the tops to the correct height.

kevinjames

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 04:46:57 PM »

Wow, those are the nicest looking Titans I have seen yet. Excellent work.
Download my latest mixes here:
www.musicv2.com/artist/dj_kevin_james
New Mix added 4/12/08

Watch me spin live Saturday's 3-5 PM Pacific here:
[url]http://www.stickam.com/profile/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!

Jorge Terrez

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 08:56:48 PM »

jeff at some point I just to own four of the EAW-LA400 , but I was never able to run them center clustered in a block of four , due to the places where I used them ,but I was able to have two per side on some ocassions , the same has happened with the titans, I've been able to run two per side , and on this configuration I feel they hit harder than the EAW's in my personal opinion , probably center clustered is a total different situation. My titans are loaded with the eminence definimax 4015 , I don't know if this is an improvement over the eminence lf3015 , but at least it makes me feel more confident when running more power on them.  regarding the height , it was a good reason for me , because I have a cargo van and putting four eaw's + my tops + amps and on top of that scaffolding to raise my tops,it was a very tight pack ; now at least I dont have to carry with the scaffolding anymore and the titan's fit better on my van than the EAW's.

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »

Jorge,

That's strange how our findings have been so dissimilar.  I have used both types of subs on many many gigs and constantly come to the same conclusion that the 400 is punchier.

Perhaps the rooms you used the LA400 in were a factor.  Outdoors they sound nowhere similar.  Titan does better in the lower ranges but is absolutely not as punchy as the LA400.  Are you sure your tops were delayed accordingly for each sub?  

Also keep in mind your usual configuration of 2 per side is creating a big power alley at FOH which may be misleading.

I typically have driven off of a QSC PL380.  With the LA400's I have raised the HPF to 40Hz (EAW recommends lower).

Keep in mind both subs are a good bang for the buck.  You can do better if you want to spend more.

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 11:21:01 AM »

A classic example of peoples perception of sound being very different.. ESPECIALLY when it comes to bass Smile

I've used the LA boxes quite a bit.. I've always thought this box, and the dc equivalent was a extremely tight 'punchy' sub - but without the ultra-low end extension I desire in my "super subs". You must cluster them in large groups to get any response out of them. The DCS-2 really needs to be run in blocks of 4 - and the LA box is basically a 1/2 of a DCS-2.. that means I Would want to see 8 of them together to make them work well. Sometimes I find that these subs sound so "clean" that you actually have to add a little bit of distortion to your mix, or perhaps a bass enhancer to dirty it up and give the punters the sound they are used to.

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 12:45:41 AM »

Ha! Jeff, you are so used to a big block of Lab Subs that I'm sure hearing LA400's is pretty underwhelming.

The largest I have run them is in a center clustered block of 8, in that configuration it hits really hard and tight but of course drops off quickly below 40Hz.  A block of 4 for smaller events though is still pretty impressive.  For live music the lack of extension is not as big a deal to me as it would be if I were doing DJ type stuff or a lot of playback.

I have experimented a bit with adding some "dirt" to the signal with mixed results.  After messing around with it, I'm now more of the opinion to just use double 18's if I want that sound, and horns when I want a cleaner sound...  more often than not I opt for the horns.  I am contemplating some TH115s these days as an upgrade from the LA400's.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 16 queries.