ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8k worth of lighting options? What to get  (Read 1481 times)

Tate_Tullis

8k worth of lighting options? What to get
« on: July 21, 2008, 02:54:09 AM »

Hey all,

So were going to place an idea to a local director at a high school. They want some new lighting. I dont know a huge amount about lighting and all but I know the basics. Their budget will probably be around 7-8k and ill give the run down of what they have currently.

maybe 18 strand elip's
25 fresnel
hog 3 pc
strand lighting board (not sure what kind)

So there pretty much lacking lighting for a 1200 person auditorium. What would you guys suggest they get?  It will mostly be used for musicals and plays and a few school concerts/assemblies.  More conventional fixtures and maybe a few smaller cheaper intelligents?
Gamma Productions
Live Sound and Lighting
www.gammaprod.com
tate@gammaprod.com
(435) 770-6575

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
Re: 8k worth of lighting options? What to get
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 01:15:16 PM »

if you're using hog 3, why buy a console? theres no need as the software can easily do everything the board can, especially if all you're using are conventionals

you might consider LED Pars and a couple used moving mirror lights for some additional effects...if you're looking for any color and effects that is
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design

Ryan Garnett

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »

If it's for a school and mostly just conventionals you might want to look into a different sort of board for the job. I've seen the ETC Express line (in varying sizes) used in high schools all over the place. In fact, the high school I went to had the Express 72/144 as their lighting board which is what I first learnt on Smile It's probably easier then trying to teach younger ones how to use the software, on top of the fact that you have a physical board to control everything. It's so much easier to just grab a fader when you want a light up.

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:47:18 PM »

+1 for the Express - or similar. Strand has the palette line as well. No idea what these things cost anymore.

You can pop an LCD screen on it. The advantage is the work flow of cues is just like every other theater board.

And you can have it default to a start up configuration of some basic faders for when assemblies, etc. are scheduled.

And they all do some intels now.

Lights - Skip the intels for now. ($$) Nice - but getting a quiet enough one for choir, orchestra and plays will cost you.

Get decent Liekos!! the older 360 style always ends up on the trash heap. Always!

You can also standardize on a single lamp - ideal situation is S4s with S4 Pars instead of Fresnels.

And you'll want a way to light the upstage drop with smooth, even color. Really important.

Get Barbizon (or similar) to quote you a package.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 16 queries.