ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone got recordings of Audix OM5,6,7 AB´d  (Read 3577 times)

Robert Alan

anyone got recordings of Audix OM5,6,7 AB´d
« on: July 10, 2008, 11:22:27 PM »

hi there, just wondering if anyone has got any recordings of the Audix OM5 ,OM6 and OM7 side by side?

i find the OM5 a little thin without enough bottom and i find the OM6 too full sounding which can result in a muddy sound (though i think both have a bit of a boxy, pinched quality to them but maybe thats just the OMs for you). ive heard the OM7 is somewhere in the middle in terms of tone between 5 and 6 which sounds a good compromise.  

there isnt anywhere to rent or demo Audix (or at least the OM7)where im from so this would be really helpful.  

if you have a EV N/D967 lying around you could add that too which would also be V.helpful.

cheers!

james page

Re: anyone got recordings of Audix OM5,6,7 AB´d
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 01:30:19 AM »

It's rather unlikely that someone would have this kind of recording and even if they did there would likely be way too many variables to draw reliable conclusions from. I use an OM5 all the time and it sounds great for the right application. It's a great mic for my voice which is a bit husky with a big bump around 250-275 hz. However, when i try the same mic with certain female vocalists it does sound a bit thin and i'll go back to something like a 58. FWIW, a 58 sounds terrible on my voice.
Ideally you need to have several mics to choose from.
JP

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 03:14:09 PM »

Many people rave about the OM7 and OM5, however less seems to be said about the OM6 around here.

Personally I really like the OM6, it works well on many different vocalists (although not all).  It is usually NOT my first choice for most female vocals though.

I do not find the OM6 to be muddy (or the OM7 either), however if you are used to hearing the presence peak of a 58 or beta 58 you may come to that conclusion.  I have minimal eq in most scenarios with the OM6/7, if the rig is tuned well, either of those mics should sound pretty decent on a good percentage of vocalists.

Keep in mind the OM7 (and OM6 to a lesser extent) will sound AWFUL if the singer does not stay tight on the mic.  In particular I have avoided using it with singing piano/keyboard players who sometime tend to not be on the mic consistently.  Those who have spent years with a 58 may not deal well with the tighter polar pattern.

Tom Reid

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:50:37 PM »

Jeff Babcock wrote on Mon, 14 July 2008 14:14

Many people rave about the OM7 and OM5, however less seems to be said about the OM6 around here.

Personally I really like the OM6, it works well on many different vocalists (although not all).  It is usually NOT my first choice for most female vocals though.

I do not find the OM6 to be muddy (or the OM7 either), however if you are used to hearing the presence peak of a 58 or beta 58 you may come to that conclusion.  I have minimal eq in most scenarios with the OM6/7, if the rig is tuned well, either of those mics should sound pretty decent on a good percentage of vocalists.

Keep in mind the OM7 (and OM6 to a lesser extent) will sound AWFUL if the singer does not stay tight on the mic.  In particular I have avoided using it with singing piano/keyboard players who sometime tend to not be on the mic consistently.  Those who have spent years with a 58 may not deal well with the tighter polar pattern.

I did a 4 piece band Saturday, in one of the most reflective clubs built to date.  Singing drummer, 3 vox in front, 1 guitar, some keys, a bass, and a killer drum set.

Drummer has an OM7
Guitar man OM7
Bass player OM5
Lead vox wireless OM5
D4, D6s on drums.
The only non-audix mics were the overhead (Rode NT5) and the second guitar mic (E609) the other was an I5.

Noise boy in the crowd comes up after the third song.  "How come when the band stops the stage is so quiet?  How do you do that?"
This is probably the #1 reason I use Audix, for combat audio you can't beat their rejection.
#2 reason, drunk comes up to sing with the band, stays 3' off the OM7, I didn't even need the mute button.
There may be better sounding mics out there, but these are best at NOT making sounds.
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:11:25 PM »

Tom Reid wrote on Mon, 14 July 2008 16:50

drunk comes up to sing with the band, stays 3' off the OM7, I didn't even need the mute button.

Laughing

Tim Padrick

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:21:01 AM »

I agree with Jeff, except I find that someone 12" back from an OM7 still sounds better than someone 12" back from an SM58.

I never cared for the OM5.  I use the OM7.  I like the OM6 and even the OM3XB sounds pretty decent.

A recording would be of no use, as it does not take into account how the mics reject (or don't) unwanted sound.  A PR22 blows the Audix mics away under optimal conditions, but as my last gig proved, if you don't know what you will be facing, an OM7 is the mic to have (and I didn't).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 17 queries.