ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help to use the lighting I have  (Read 965 times)

Dave Wallker

Help to use the lighting I have
« on: June 25, 2008, 08:06:14 pm »

Hi all

I need some ideas on the best way to use the lighting rig I have.
It's simple setup consisting of three trees, stage left, right and rear centre. There are four 1000 watt Par 64 cans and a four way dimmer pack on each tree. Control is via a Behringer lighting desk. I also have a smoke m/c and u/v cannon.  
This rig is used for lighting a covers/party band fronted by two Female Vocalists. I need some ideas on what colour gels are best to use, also should I use some of the cans without gels to light the faces of the vocalists?
Basically I need to make the show look more interesting with the limited gear I have.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
Regards
Dave Wallker.
Well it sounds alright on the headphones

Duncan McLennan

Re: Help to use the lighting I have
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:13:10 am »

It's too bad that the dimmers are those small packs, because that means you are unable to break them into groups that are not multiples of 4, correct?

Personally, I'd have 4-6 PARs for front wash, 6-8 on the rear.

To light the faces of the front of the band, you probably do not want to just use lights without gels.  Get some "straw" filters which make the light look a little more "yellow" (aka. lower colour temperature) and will make the singer's faces look more natural.  A pair of those washed across the front will probably be okay.  I also like to use a couple magenta washes on the front.

As for the rear, whatever colours compliment the magenta in the front, and that you think look interesting.  Blues and purples are very cool but they have the lowest transmission rate of any gels, meaning you need lots of power to produce those colours.  Personally I don't like red.  Also remember that when you have straw in the front, it will make any instruments without gels look VERY white, and you can use this as an effect.  A couple high colour temp. whites to punch through like beams are always fun.

And remember that one of the best things you can do with PARs is the creation of beams of light.  When you replace lamps, consider getting a couple VNSP lamps.  Once the stage is lit from the front, the rest just need to look cool.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.